Thursday 1 August 2013

Al-Messieh Kalm (Jesus is Risen)

Have  you  ever  heard  about  Clayton  McDonald?  I'll  be  honest,  I  won't  be  surprised  if  you  haven't.

He  died  nearly  four  years  ago,  a  little  over  a  month  before  he  turned  19.

I  read  his story a couple of months ago.  I  watched  the  video  he  put  together  with  his  friends.

It  has  stuck  with  me.

A  young  man  who  knew  when  he  was  going  to  die,  and  was  scared...  for  everyone  else.

A  young  man  who  met  his  death  with  calm  contentedness.

And  my  mind  still  turns  over  his  story  regularly.  And  I  still  wonder:  how  can  anyone  be  so  satisfied  when  they  can  see  the  last  grains  of  sand  running  out  of  their  life?  And  if  I  was  to  be  in  a  situation  like  Clayton...  dying  and  knowing  it...  would  I  be  as  content?  Would  I  be  as  concerned  about  everyone  else  as  he  was?

And  I  penned  the  other  day,  as  writers  do,  a  scene  from  someone's  story,  and  it  answers  the  first  question  far  more  eloquently  than  I  ever  could:

"Why?  Why  are  you  so..."  he  stopped,  turning  his  head  away.  He  was  afraid  he'd  start  shaking  her  again.  "This  is  your  own  life  we're  talking  about.  How  can  you  be  so  calm?"
She  stretched  her  hand  up,  gently  placing  it  on  his  cheek,  turning  his  head  so  he  had  to  meet  her  eyes.  "Al-Messieh   kalm"  she  said,  her  voice  warm  and  gentle.
Her  eyes,  warm  and  compassionate,  seem  to  draw  him  out  of  himself.  He  pressed  his  lips  together,  choking  back  the  rote  response.  Her  eyes  saddened.  She  reached  up  on  her  toes  and  kissed  his  forehead.  Without  saying  another  word,  she  walked  out  of  the  room.
He  stayed  where  he  was,  eyes  wet,  heart  heavy.
"What  did  she  say?"
The  question  reminded  him  of  the  others  in  the  room.  He  blinked,  throat  working.  "She  said  'Jesus  is  risen.' " 

As  for  the  second  question...  I  hope  so.  But  to  be  honest...  I  don't  know...  I  just  don't  know  if  my  faith  runs  that  deep  yet...  and  that  scares  me  more  than  the  thought  of  death.

No comments:

Post a Comment