Friday 30 August 2013

The Secret to Being Truly Beautiful (What is Beauty?)

"Well, little girl fourteen I wish that you could see
That beauty is within your heart
And you were made with such care, your skin, your body and your hair
Are perfect just the way they are

There could never be a more beautiful you
Don't buy the lies, disguises and hoops, they make you jump through
You were made to fill a purpose that only you could do
So there could never be a more beautiful you"        ~ Jonny Diaz
Today  in  chapel  we  were  presented  with  a  rather  confronting  topic:  the  sexualisation  of  women.

Big  topic  for  a  group  of  teenagers.  Big,  BIG  topic.

It's  crazy,  some  of  the  things  you  see  out  there.

High  heeled  shoes  for  the  under  12  months  olds.

Padded  bras  for  2  year  olds.

I'm  not  even  joking.

What  does  a  2  year  old  need  a  padded  bra  for?

Images  of  a  ten  year  old  model  styled  and  posed  the  same  way  models  in  their  twenties  are.  By  that,  I  mean:  dressed  in  skimpy  underwear  and  seated  suggestively  and  seductively.  And  yeah,  you  read  the  model's  age  right:  10  years  old.

I'm  not  even  going  to  go  into  what  older  women  do.  Or  how  older  women  are  portrayed.

And  that  was  just  the  tip  of  the  ice  berg  of  what  she  showed  us,  which,  by  her  own  admission,  is  nothing  compared  to  what  she  could  have  shown  us.

Then  there  was  all  the  statistics  about  the  effects  of  this  that  research  has  found.

1  in  3  women  in  Australia  have  been,  are  being,  will  be,  subject  to  sexual  harassment.  If  you  want  a  face:  I  have  been  sexually  harassed.  When  I  was  8  or  9  by  someone  my  own  age.  It  no  longer  even  needs  to  be  an  older  person  doing  the  sexual  harassing.  I  have  been  fortunate:  I  was  removed  from  that  situation  and  have  been  able  to  heal. 

Or  to  start  healing,  because  let  me  tell  you  something,  it  has  been  years  since  it  happened  and  I  am  still  struggling  with  the  shame  and  the  horror  of  what  happened.  And  what  happened  to  me  is  nothing,  nothing,  compared  to  what  happens  to  others.  If  I'm  still  struggling  with  it,  how  much  must  those  who  have  been  raped  be  struggling  with  it?

So  much  so  that  many  of  them  prefer  to  take  their  lives  than  go  on  living  with  the  shame.  Kristen Anderson  was  raped,  and  it  was  that  which  really  started  her  on  the  downward  spiral  which  eventually  led  to  her  attempted  suicide.

I  have  heard  of  another  girl  who  was  raped  by  her  parents  ever  since  she  was  a  few  month  old  baby  whose  personality  splintered  in  order  to  protect  herself.  Splintered.  Broke.  She  had  multiple  personalities.

And  then  there  are  the  statistics  about  eating  disorders.  1  in  10  girls  are  bulimic.  1  in  100  girls  are  anorexic.  Why?  Because  the  media  is  constantly  showing  them  that  the  standard  of  beauty  requires  them  to  have  a  body  shape  that  can  only  be  achieved  through  starving  themselves.

My  sister  and  I  were  once  talking  about  it.  She's  an  aspiring  vet  and  she  commented  that  if  we  saw  an  animal  that  was  as  thin  as  women  on  the  magazines,  we'd  consider  them  emaciated,  send  in  the  rescue  teams  and  bring  their  owners  to  court.  Why  then  do  these  women  get  held  up  as  a  model  of beauty?

And,  you  know  what,  I'm  not  exempt  from  this.  This  is  not  me  having  a  go  at  the  rest  of  the  world.  I'm  included  in  this.

I'm  constantly  terrified  that  I'm  getting  too  fat.  Which,  if  you  know  me,  you'll  know  is  ridiculous.

I  am  embarrassed  by  the   freckles  on  my  face,  the  shape  of  my  face.  For  years  I  wished  I  had  the  golden  hair  of  my  sister  instead  of  my  ordinary,  brown  hair.

My  biggest  problem,  though,  is  my  teeth.  I  am  missing  my  lateral  incisors.  Usually  I  wear  fake  teeth  to  hide  it,  but  when  I'm  not  wearing  them,  I  hate  my  smile.  I  think  it's  an  ugly  smile.  And  don't  get  me  wrong  here,  I  think  it  is  perfectly  ok  for  me  to  wear  those  fake  teeth,  but  I  know  it  is  not  ok  for  me  to  hate  my  smile  without  them.  Yet  I  have  been  convinced,  at  least  until  recently,  that  the  only  way  to  have  a  beautiful  smile  is  to  have  even,  straight,  shiny  white  teeth.

And  those  are  just  tiny,  miniscule  things  compared  to  what  some  people  feel  they  have  to  do  to  be  beautiful.

And  it  breaks  my  heart.  And  it  gets  me  thinking.

Because  we  can  never  really  achieve  that  kind  of  beauty.  That  kind  of  beauty  if  constantly  changing.

Fat  women  used  to  be  beautiful,  now  size  6  women  are.

White  women  used  to  beautiful,  now  tan  women  are.

You  get  my  point?

And  here  is  the  prayer  of  my  heart,  what  God  has  been  teaching  my  heart  about  this,  and  what  I  hope  every  woman  one  day  comes  to  understand:

"You're  beauty  should  not  be that  of  outward  adornment,  such  as  elaborate  hairstyles  and  the  wearing  of  gold  jewellery  and  fine  clothes.  Rather,  it  should  be  that  of  your  inner  self,  the  unfading  beauty  of  a  gentle  and  quiet  spirit,  which  is  of  great  worth  in  God's  sight."  Peter  3: 3 - 4
And  this  doesn't  mean  that  hairstyles  and  jewellery  and  fine  clothes  are  wrong.  Just  that  they  shouldn't  be  depended  on.

Rather,  that  what  matters  are  things  that  people  can  not  see  but  are  touched  by  nonetheless.  Beauty  is  a  soul  that  trusts  God.  That  draws  Life  from  God.  That  passes  this  Life  on  to  others  around  them.

Beauty  is  the  woman  whose  face  is  worn  from  loving  are  friends,  her  family,  her  enemies.  Beauty  is  the  woman  that  says  "yes,  I  am  flawed,  but  I  have  a  perfect  God."  Beauty  is  living  every  day  breathing,  giving  love  and  receiving  grace.

Beauty  is  dwelling  on  the  Face  of  God.  It  is  sitting  in  God's  presence.

Beauty  is  not  in  the  eye  of  the  beholder,  because  then,  nothing  is  truly  Beautiful.  Beauty  is  in  the  Eye  of  the  Creator.

Once  He  has  declared  us  Beautiful,  what  can  possibly  change  it?

Who  can  challenge  the  Verdict  of  the  Almighty  Judge?

And  so  I'm  going  to  lean  on  Him  to  teach  me  true  Beauty  and  I'm  going  to  keep  praying  that  the  eyes  of  my  fellow  women  see  Beauty  for  what  it  really  is  too.

No comments:

Post a Comment