Sunday 11 August 2013

Mission Impossible

"But  I'm..."

I've  come  across  that  phrase  a  lot  in  my  Bible  reading.

And  I  mean,  A  LOT.

Seriously,  it  seems  to  be  the  only  thing  people  can  say  when  called  by  God.

Abraham  on  having  a  son:  "But  I'm  too  old."

Moses  on  rescuing  the  slaves:  "But  I  can't  speak."

Gideon  on  fighting  the  Midianites:  "But  I'm  the  least  of  the  weakest."

Jeremiah  on  being  a  prophet:  "But  I'm  too  young."

Mary  on  bearing  Jesus:  "But  I'm  a  virgin!" (Ok...  I'll  be  honest,  that  one  makes  sense...  but  still...  the  point  stands).

The  first  thing  people  think  of  when  God  calls  them  is  all  the  ways  they  can't  do  what  it  is  God's calling  them  too.

God's  given  them  a  "mission  impossible"...  and  all  they  can  see  is  the  "impossible"  bit.

And,  you  know,  if  we're  honest...  we're  the  same...  I  know  I  certainly  am.

"Go  pray  with  her."  "God,  I'm  a  stranger  to  her."

"Go  do  that."  "God,  I'm  too  young."

"Tell  those  people  your  story."  "I  can't,  God,  I'm  too  scared."

Really,  my  lack  of  trust  is  embarrassing.  And  I  think  if  I  spoke  to  anyone  of  the  names  I've  listed,  they'd  probably  admit  the  same  about  themselves.  Because,  well,  He  is  God.

And  I  was  at  a  conference  yesterday.  A  really  good  one,  Reachout.  It's  a  place  where  mission  minded  people  get  to  gather  together,  to  hear  God's  Word,  to  worship,  to  find  out  what's  going  on...  and  to  be  challenged.

And  boy,  was  I  challenged.

Particularly  in  one  of  the  seminars.  Which  is  why  I'm  writing  this.

The  presenter  said  something  that  has  stuck  with  me...  really,  stuck  with  me.

He  was  speaking  about  the  mission  God  has  called  each  of  us  to  "don't  say  'it's  impossible'.  Of  course,  it's  impossible!  If  God  was  calling  you  to  something  that  was  within  your  abilities,  where  would  God  be?  Where  would  the  reliance  be?"

And  I  realized...  he  was  absolutely  right.

Why  did  God  promise  (and  then  give)  Abraham  a  son  through  his  century  old  wife?  To  show  that  He  is  God.

Why  did  God  chose  Moses  to  argue  with  Pharaoh?  To  show that  He  is  God.

Why  did  God  chose  Gideon  to  defeat  the  Midianites?  To  show  that  He  is  God.

Why  did  God  chose  Jeremiah  to  be  a  prophet?  To  show  that  He  is  God.

Why  did  God  chose  Mary  to  be  the  mother  of  Jesus?  To  show  that  He  is  God.

And  why  has  God  chosen  me  to  be  His  child  and  to  be  His  Light?  To  show  that  He  is  God.

And  with  each  demonstration  that  He  is  God,  He  calls  on  us  to  rely  on  Him.

When  we  fail,  He  asks  that  we  watch  Him  succeed.

When  we  fall,  He  asks  that  we  watch  Him  raise  us  up.

When  we  muck  up,  He  asks  that  we  watch  Him  clean  up.

God  gives  us  impossible  missions  so  that  we  learn  to  Rely  on  Him,  to  Depend  on  Him,  to  Trust  in  Him.

He  presents  us  with  the  Impossible,  so  that  we  can  be  the  Impossible:  Humble,  totally  reliant,  the  Wounded  Healers,  the  Fearless,  the  Willing,  the  Obedient,  the  Servants.

God  gives  us  the  Impossible  to  do,  so  that  we  know  that  for  God  all  things  are  possible.

If  I  could  do  everything  God  asked  me  to  do,  why  would  I  need  God?  Heck,  I  would  be  God...  and  trust  me,  this  world  is  messed  up  enough  as  it  is  without  me  in  charge.

If  my  mission  was  possible,  how  could  I  learn  to  trust  in  God  for  Strength?  For  Love?  For  Forgiveness?  For  Contentment?

And  if  my  mission  was  possible,  how  would  anyone,  myself  included,  every  know  that  God  is  the  One  who  made  all  things,  know  all  things,  sees  all  things  and  controls  all  things?

The  disciples  were  even  more  amazed,  and  said  to  each  other,  "who  then  can  be  saved?"  Jesus  looked  at  them  and  said,  "with  man  this  is  impossible,  but  not  with  God;  all  things  are  possible  with  God."  Mark  10: 26 - 27 (NIV)

1 comment: