Friday 23 August 2013

Just the Ambassador

Today,  I  read,  it  approximately  two  hours,  the  challenging  and  wonderful  story  Kristen  Anderson.

A  woman  who  attempted  suicide  aged  17.  She  miraculously  failed.

And  by  miraculously,  I  mean,  impossibly,  wonderfully  and  supernaturally.

She  threw  herself  in  front  of  a  train,  purposefully  leaving  it  too  late  for  the  driver  to  stop  it.

Over  30  cars  rolled  over  her  at  55  miles  per  hour...  that's  88km/h.  According  to  a  train  engineer,  her  body  should  have  been  sucked  up  by  the  train.  It  wasn't.  Instead,  she  felt  a  powerful  force  holding  her  down.

What  did  happen  was  that  her  legs  were  severed.

She  lost  8  pints  of  blood.  That's  a  little  under  four  liters.  Apparently,  medically  speaking,  you're  supposed  to  die  after  losing  5  pints.

And  that's  just  part  of  the  wonderful  way  in  which  God  has  been  working  in  her  life.  I  strongly  advise  you  get  the  book: "Life  In  Spite  of  Me".

But  I'm  not  bringing  this  up  just  to  plug  the  book.

No,  I'm  bringing  this  up  because  it's  gotten  me  thinking.  Thinking  about  so  many  things.

Many  of  the  people  who  have  influenced  Kristen's  life  the  most  since  her  attempted  suicide  are  people  who  have  made  themselves  available  to  God  to  be  used  as  He  would  use  them.

They  are  people  who  have,  instead  of  focusing  on  Kristen  or  on  themselves,  focused  on  God.

They  have  spoken  Words  of  Life  into  Kristen's  Life,  not  because  they  were  anything  special,  but  because  they  acknowledge  God  as  King  and  themselves  as  the  Messengers,  the  Ambassadors.

Kristen  herself  is  speaking  those  Words  of  Life  into  the  Lives  of  other  people.  And  I  could  tell  from  reading  her  book  that  those  Words  aren't  hers,  but  God's.

When  she  first  realized  she  was  being  called  to  the  ministry  she  now  has,  her reaction  was  to  wonder  at  her,  an  ordinary  person,  being  called  by  God.

As  I  read  that,  I  chuckled,  shook  my  head  and  whispered  "Oh  Kristen,  we're  all  ordinary.  It's  just  our  God  that  is  extraordinary."

But  since  reading  it,  I've  been  thinking,  how  would  I  respond  in  that  situation?  If,  like  Kristen,  I  was  called  to  that  sort  of  ministry  for  similar  reasons?  Or,  if,  like  her  friends,  I  found  myself  in  the  position  to  speak  Words  of  Life  into  someone  else's  life?

I  had  to  stop  there  and  go  message  a  friend.

Because  there  are  people  who  I  have  the  opportunity  to  speak  the  Words  of  Life  to.  People  I  need  to  speak  the  Words  of  Life  too.

But  that  brings  me  to  the  question  I've  been  turning  over  and  over  in  my  mind.

Do  I  acknowledge  that  I  am  just  God's  Ambassador?  Do  I  let  Him  use  me  as  His  messenger?

Or  do  I  try  setting  myself  up  as  the  source  of  knowledge  and  understanding?  Do  I  try  to  be  the  King  in  other  people's  lives,  or  do  I  let  God  do  the  Ruling?

I  know  what  the  answer  to  that  question  should  be.  I  know  what  I  want  it  to  be.  But  what  troubles  me  is  that  I  don't  know  if  that  is  the  honest  answer,  or  if  I'm  just  fooling  myself.

Am  I  blindly  stumbling  along,  saying  I'm  acting  as  God's  ambassador,  but  really,  I'm  the  one  trying  to  pull  the  strings  and  just  making  a  mess  or  things?

My  favourite  song  by  TobyMac  is  this  one:

 


The  lyrics  hit  me  every  time.

Because  I  don't  think  he's  just  talking  about  his  singing  career.

I  think  he's  talking  about  everything  in  life.  Every  time  when,  for  whatever  reason,  we're  tempted  to  put  ourselves  in  the  spotlight.  That's  what  I  think  he's  talking  about.

And  his  song  has  been  my  prayer  more  than  once.  I  want  to  step  back  and  let  God  take  it  away.

I  want  to  let  the  King  do  His  thing.

So,  God,  come  on  and  steal  this  show,  I'm  going  to  step  back  and  watch  you  go,  and  if  I  so  much  as  dare  to  try  to  step  into  the  spotlight,  please  blindside  me.  Cause  I'm  not  meant  to  be  there.

I'm  just  the  Ambassador...  He  is  the  Amazing  and  Wonderful  King.

No comments:

Post a Comment