Tuesday 13 August 2013

Willing to Give?

I've  heard  it  said  that  once  you  know  what  you'd  die  for,  you  know  what  you're  living  for...

...but  I  guess  I've  found  it  hard  to  see  what  my  life  is  for.  Why  the  breath  still  rushes  in  and  out  of  my  lungs  and  why  the  red  blood  still  beats  around  my  body  to  the  rhythm  of  my  heart.

And  if  Martyrdom  is  the  greatest  gift  one  can have  -  the  Gift  of  their  very  own  life  blood  so  that  others  can  gain  the  Life  Blood  of  Christ  -  then  surely  all  other  gifts  in  the  middle  should  be  easy.

Surely  those  willing  to  give  there  lives  should  be  willing  to  give  their  money,  their  time,  their  dreams?

Surely  I  should  be  willing  to  do  all  of  that?

And  my  mind  turns  to  my  upcoming  birthday  and  I  wonder,  can  I  do  something  different  this  year?  How  about  I  not  ask  for  those  useless  trinkets  that  I've  wanted  very  much?

My  sister  challenged  us  last  night,  what  if  every  time  we  went  to  by  ice  cream  from  the  shops,  we  donated  it  instead?

My  little  sister  who  towers  over  me  laughed.  You  could  see  her  discomfort  -  I  felt  it  too.  Her  head  knew  our  sister  was  right,  but  her  heart  rebelled  against  it.  "It's  a  great  idea  -  but  ice  cream..."

The  tearing  was  clearly  in  her  voice.

And  even  as  I  heard  it,  and  agreed  with  her...  I  saw  the  test  in  the  situation.

We  were  standing  at  the  offering  table  in  the  temple.  Jesus  was  watching  us  approach.  The  question  was  in  his  eyes,  no  escaping  it,  really,  though  we  tried  to  last  night.

He  asked,  "which  would  we  be?  Would  we  be  like  the  rich  who  gave  lavishly  -  but  didn't  really  give?  Or  would  we  be  like  the  widow,  and  give  our  last  coppers?"

And  I  guess  last  night,  I  avoided  the  question.  Which  is  answer  in  itself.

I  was  the  wealthy  hypocrite,  holding  back  on  giving,  while  pledging  all.  Ananias  and  Saphira  -  their  sin  is  mine  as  well.

And  how  can  I  ever  give  it  all,  when  I  don't  even  give  a  little  bit  now?

And  so  I've  decided:  I'll  do  as  my  sister  suggested.  Every  time  we  go  to  buy  ice  cream,  I'll  get  her  to  donate  the  money  to  Destiny Rescue.

For  my  upcoming  birthday,  I'll  ask  for  money  to  donate  towards  rescuing  a  child  in  sex  slavery.

If  I  ever  want  to  buy  clothes,  I'll  buy  from  Op  Shops,  Vinnies,  Salvos  and  donate  the  rest  of  the  money.

I  don't  need  more  stuff.  I  don't  need  more  Star  Trek  DVDs,  or  clothes,  or  ice  cream  or  gifts.



But  those  girls  need  their  freedom.  Both  physically  and  spiritually.

And  they  were  made  by  my  Father.  They  are  loved  by  my  Father.  They  could  be  my  sisters.

And  if  anything  I  can  give  will  help,  I'll  give  it  gladly.  I'll  pour  my  offering  out,  and  trust  that  God  will  use  it  for  His  Glory.

It's  for  this  Giving  that  breath  still  fills  my  lungs  and  the  blood  still  pumps  to  the  beat  of  my  heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment