Monday 12 August 2013

Willing to Die?

I  wonder  how  many  of  us  have  ever  thought  to  pray  to  be  martyrs?  Have  ever  thought  that  the  ideal  way  to  die  would  be  to  be  killed,  even  torturously,  for  the  sake  of  our  faith  in  God?

I  know  it  certainly  hadn't  occurred  to  me  until  about  a  year  ago,  as  I  read  the  story  of  Rachel Scott,  who  would  have  been  32  this  month...  if  she  hadn't  been  killed  in  the  Columbine  shootings  all  those  years  ago.

The  book  her  parents  had  written  included  extracts  asking  that  God  take  her  life  in  the  pursuit  of  his  cause  -  I  can't  remember  the  exact  phrasing  and  I  can't  check  the  book.  And  whilst  the  circumstances  of  her  death,  and  the  evidence,  mean  the  jury  is  still  out  as  to  whether  or  not  she  was  specifically  targeted  for  her  faith  or  just  happened  to  be  in  the  wrong  place  at  the  wrong  time  (or  the  right  place  at  the  right  time,  if  you  use  a  God  perspective),  it  certainly  got  me  thinking.

And  earlier  this  year,  I  read  the  story  of  BJ Higgins.  Again,  he  was  not  a  martyr  in  the  sense  of  being  killed  for  his  faith,  but  he  did  die  (age  15)  as  the  result  of  a  mysterious  infection  (very,  very  like  the  Black  Plague  -  the  tests  were  not  definitive  enough  for  diagnoses)  that  he  contracted  while  on  the  mission  field.  Like  Rachel,  he  too  had  pledge  his  entire  life  to  God.

And  the  question  kept  ticking  over  in  my  mind:  would  I  do  God's  work  if  I  knew  I  would  die,  or  had  to  die,  for  it?

And  I'll  be  honest,  my  answer  is  yes,  but  I've  always  wondered:  is  that  just  because  my  life  is  currently  not  at  risk?  Would  I  ultimately  value  my  life  over  my  God?  Or  my  God  over  my  Life?

Then  on  Saturday,  at  ReachOut,  the  question  was  crystalised  further.

It  was  when  we  were  discussing  finding  our  mission impossible,  that  the  presenter  asked  us:

what  are  we  willing  to  risk?

do  we  think  we  have  the  Gift  of  Martyrdom?

He  looked  at  us  and  warned:  "this  is  a  gift  you  can  only  test  once."

If  you're  dead,  you're  dead.  There's  no  going  back.

He  told  us  he  knew  of  only  one  person  who  had  ever  put  up  his  hand  and  said  he  thought  he  had  that  gift.  He  challenged  that  if  we  think  we  have  that  Gift,  we  should  be  willing  to  take  risks  that  could  cost  us  our  lives.  Go  places  where  we  might  die.

In  my  mind,  I  took  that  a  step  further:  be  willing  to  stay  in  a  place  so  dangerous  everyone  was  urging  me  to  leave.

Would  I  do  that?  Would  I  be  willing  to  go  to  one  of  the  top  ten  countries  on  the  Open Doors World Watch List?

Would  I  be  able  to  stay  there,  speaking  the  Gospel,  telling  the  Bible,  if  I  knew  I  could  be  killed  at  any  day?

Or  would  I  turn  tail  and  run?

Would  I  be  willing  to  follow  the  footsteps  of  Noah,  Joseph,  Moses,  Esther,  Jeremiah,  Daniel,  Stephen,  Paul  and  the  thousands  upon  thousands  who  have  risked  their  lives,  have  given  their  lives,  in  order  to  do  God's  work?

Would  I  be  willing  to  say,  as  Shadrach,  Meshach  and  Abednego  did:
We  do  not  need  to  defend  ourselves  before  you.  If  we  are  thrown  into  the  blazing  furnace,  the  God  whom  we  serve  is  able  to  save  us.  He  will  rescue  us  from  your  power,  Your  Majesty.  But  even  if  He  doesn't,  we  want  to  make  it  clear  to  you,  Your  Majesty,  that  we  will  never  serve  your  gods  or  worship  the  gold  statue  you  have  set  up.  ~  Daniel 3: 16 - 18
Would  I  do  that?

And  as  I  ponder  the  question,  I  think,  I  think,  the  answer  is  yes.

Because  I  think  it's  a  decision  to  take  the  risks.  It's  a  decision  to  stand  firm.

But,  boy,  if  I  am  to  hold  onto  that  resolution,  will  I  need  prayer.

Because  this  body  is  frail.  My  heart  is  weak.  I  will  need  to  strength  of  God  when  I  face  the  Cup.

So  I'm  going  to  appeal  to  you,  my  dear  readers,  to  stand  with  me.  I  do  not  ask  you  to  come  with  me.  But  please,  pray  for  me,  that  I  will  take  those  risks  when  the  opportunities  arise,  or  will  look  for  those  opportunities.  And  hold  me  accountable.  Challenge  me  to  risk  all.  Don't  let  me  get  comfortable  with  being  safe.

Because  I  believe  that  God's  work  -  reaching  the  unreached,  bringing  grace  to  the  graceless,  hope  to  the  hopeless,  and  light  to  those  in  the  dark  -  is  of  more  value  than  my  own  life,  though  my  heart  shakes  even  as  I  type  those  words.

No comments:

Post a Comment