Thursday 29 August 2013

Just a Few More Pages

I'm  a  writer.  I  write  stories.  I  read  stories.  I'm  never  more  comfortable  than  when  I'm  engrossed  in  a  world  created  solely  by  words  on  a  page  and  brought  to  life  by  my  imagination.

Which  is,  I  think,  why  the  image  of  God  writing  our  days  in  His  sticks  with  me.

Somehow,  the  picture  of  God  as  author  and  myself  as  a  character  in  the  eternal  novel  that  is  the  history  of  this  world  makes  sense  in  a  way  lots  of  others  don't.

But  of  course,  that  means  that  my  life  has  chapters.

And  chapters,  they  flow  together,  smoothly,  easily.  But  at  the  same  time  they  are  different.  They  progress  the  story  and  once  the  next  chapter  has  started,  the  previous  one  is  just  there  to  reflect  on  with  more  informed  eyes.

This  chapter  of  my  story  is  ending.

This  chapter  is  beginning  to  flow  towards  the  resolution.

The  climax  is  almost  over.

There  are  only  a  few  more  pages  to  go.

And  I  find,  as  I  move  through  it,  I  don't  know  what  to  think.

It  has  been  a  very,  very  good  chapter.

This  chapter  has  included  laughter  and  healing,  tears  and  wounding,  bravery  and  cowardice,  moments  of  brilliance  and  moments  of  "seriously,  you  just  did  that?".  It  has  seen  friendships  made  forever  and  friendships  lost.  It  has  encompassed  sickness  and  health,  success  and  failure,  single  moments  and  all  of  eternity,  growth  and  development,  life  and  death.

I  would  probably  go  so  far  as  to  say,  it  has  been  the  best  chapter  of  my  life.

And  now  I'm  seeing  the  good-byes  begin,  threads  get  tied  and  snipped,  and  I  have  no  idea  what  to  think.

I'm  afraid.

I  can  not  read  ahead  in  my  story.

I  can't  know  what  the  next  chapter  contains.

And  that's  a  frightening  thought.  There  are  too  many  unknowns.  Too  many  variables.

And  I  guess  that  this  where  trust  really  comes  in.

This  is  where  I  remember  God's  promise.

This  is  where  the  words  He  spoke  to  Jeremiah,  for  all  of  us,  become  the  words  I  whisper  to  myself  every  morning,  the  words  I  repeat  like  a  song  in  mind  every  hour,  the  words  I  drink  from  every  minute.
"For  I  know  the  plans  I  have  for  you...  plans  to  prosper  you  and  not  to  harm  you,  to  give  you  a  hope  and  a  future."  Jeremiah  29:11
 I  don't  know  what  the  next  chapter  of  my  story  will  look  like.  I  don't  know  where  it  will  take  me,  who  it  will  take  me  with  and  who  I  will  become.

But  I  do  know  that  God  knows.

God  has  already  penned  that  chapter.  He  already  knows  where  He  is  taking  me.  Who  He  will  take  me  with  and  to  and  from.  And  He  already  knows  who  He  is  making  me  into.

And  I  know  that  His  plans  are  Perfect.  I  know  that  the  chapter  He  has  written  is  better  than  anything  I  have  ever  read  or  lived.

I  know  that  I  will  become  more  like  Christ.  I  know  that  He  will  lead  me  down  Paths  of  Righteousness,  rest  me  by  Still  Waters  of  Life  and  fill  me  with  His  Love.

And  the  more  I  look  to  Him,  the  more  I  begin  to  see  those  other  threads  in  this  chapter.

The  threads  that  are  not  being  tied  and  snipped,  but  are  growing  stronger.

The  threads  that  are  being  introduced.

The  more  I  see  those  threads,  the  more  I  believe,  really  believe,  that  what  is  coming  is  going  to  be  incredible.

Absolutely  incredible.

Because,  like  any  good  author,  God  has  included  enough  teasers  and  promises  and  questions  in  this  chapter  to  keep  me  wanting  to  read  more.  To  live  more.

And,  you  know  what?  We've  cheated.

He's  shown  me  the  last  chapter,  the  last  paragraph.

It  reads  like  this:
Then  the  angel  showed  me  the  river  of  the  water  of  life,  as  clear  as  crystal,  flowing  from  the  throne  of  God  and  of  the  Lamb  down  the  middle  of  the  great  street  of  the  city.  On  each  side  of  the  river  stood  the  tree  of  life,  bearing  twelve  crops  of  fruit,  yielding  its  fruit  every  month.  And  the  leaves  of  the  trees  are  for  the  healing  of  the  nations.  No  longer  will  there  be  any  curse.  The  throne  of  God  and  of  the  Lamb  will  be  in  the  city,  and  his  servants  will  serve  him.  They  will  see  his  face,  and  his  name  will  be  on  their  foreheads.  There  will  be  no  more  night.  They  will  not  need  the  light  of  a  lamp  or  the  light  of  the  sun,  for  the  Lord  God  will  give  them  light.  And  they  will  reign  forever  and  ever.  (Revelations 22: 1 - 5)
I  look  forward  to  getting  there!

No comments:

Post a Comment