Tuesday 24 December 2013

Thanksgiving #2 - Family

My  heart  is  extremely  heavy  this  Christmas  Eve.

There  is  a  weight  that  sits  on  it,  pressing  down.  There  have  been  moments  when  I  have  found  it  hard  to  breathe  through  the  pain.  And  I  have  been  driven  to  my  knees,  both  metaphorically  and  literally. 

And,  despite  the  pain,  or  perhaps  because  of  the  pain,  I  realize  how  grateful  I  am  for  my  parents  and  sisters.

This  world  is  so  broken.  I  just  can't  avoid  it.  Not  this  year,  and  I  doubt  I  will  ever  be  able  to  again.

I  sit  in  church  and  a  friend  talks  about  the  brother  who  has  just  had  a  major  row  with  his  family.

I  scroll  down  my  newsfeed,  and  I  see  the  posts  from  the  girl  whose  mother  died  only  a  month  ago  and  whose  boyfriend  left  her  pregnant.  She  mourns  the  loss  of  both  those  people,  and  knows  that  Christmas  just  won't  be  the  same  this  year.

I  sit  at  my  kitchen  table  writing  and  hear  my  parents  tell  us  that  our  uncle  and  his  wife  have  split  up.  That  makes  the  third  couple  out  of  five  from  that  generation  to  break  up...  and  the  second  this  year.

I  walk  outside  and  hear  the  neighbours  arguing.  An  affair,  a  heartbreak,  a  desire  to  end  the  marriage.

I  think  of  people  around  the  world  on  Christmas,  and  can  think  only  of  those  being  sexually  abused  for  money,  meeting  in  secret  to  worship,  dying  by  the  thousands  from  hunger  and  starvation.

My  heart  is  thudding  in  my  chest.  It  hurts.  It  hurts  so  badly.

Then  I  look  around  my  home.  At  my  parents,  at  my  sisters,  and  my  heart  whispers  thank  you.

Thank  you  that  my  parents  are  still  together,  still  love  each  other.

Thank  you  that  I  can  count  my  sisters  among  my  best  friends.

Thank  you  that  my  family  is  still  together,  and  unlikely  to  break  apart.

Because  it's  not  through  anything  we've  done.  We've  said  no  spell,  hit  upon  no  secret  for  the  perfect  home.

We  argue,  we  disrespect,  we  hurt  each  other.  It  all  happens.

But  we  are  united  by  something  deeper  than  our  own  sinfulness.  The  Love  of  God  and  the  shared  knowledge  and  understanding  of  what  Christmas  is  all  about.  The  God-become-Man  who  brought  us  Grace  beyond  measure.

He  is  at  the  centre  of  our  lives,  and  He  holds  us  all  together.

And  I  am  so  very,  very  grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment