Friday 30 May 2014

He, The Vine - I, The Branch

So,  I've  been  messing  it  up  recently.

Like,  really  messing  it  up.

It's  been  three  straight  weeks  since  I  opened  my  Bible  to  just  read  it.  To  just  read  it  because  I  want  to.

No  wonder  I'm  so  bone-weary.  No  wonder  I'm  barely  holding  my  head  up.  No  wonder  I  can't  seem  to  see  the  bigger  picture.  And,  yeah,  the  fact  that  I'm  in  Chronicles  is  no  excuse.

And  fundraisers,  and  talks,  and  Sunday  school,  and  friends,  it's  all  just  been  getting  me  down.

And  how  does  one  keep  going  when  life  is  crowded with  the  little  details?  How  does  one  start  seeing  the  forest  again  when  the  trees  are  filling  their  vision?

And  Luther,  he  says  it out  there,  standing  in  front  of  that  white  metal  cross,  a  branch  from  a  bush  in  his  hand,  the  birds  singing  overhead.

Jesus,  He's  the  Vine.  And  we,  well,  we're  the  branches.

And  the  only  way  the  branches  can  stay  alive,  can  keep  growing,  can  keep  producing,  is  by  staying  connected  to  the  Vine.

By  accepting  the  Life-giving  water  the  Vine  provides  us.  By  drinking  it  deep,  till  it  fills  us  to  overflowing.  Till  it  flows  out  of  us  and  into  the  world.

And  the  only  place  we  can  go,  to  connect  to  the  Vine,  to  drink  His  water,  is  His  Word.

His  Bible.

And  it's  not  enough  to  just  admire  His  creation.

It's  not  enough  to  say  He  exists.

It's  not  enough  to  say  we  are  sinners.

We  must  be  living  in  Him.

We  must  be  completely  centred  in  Him  -  in  His  love.

We  must  drink  from  His  water  daily - read  His  Word.  Pursue  His  heart.  Study  His  wisdom.  Live  His  love.

And  there's  this  guilt  in  me.  This  guilt  because  I  haven't  been  reading.  I  haven't  been  drinking.

Instead  I've  been  chasing  after  the  sweet  drinks  of  this  world  -  you  know  the  ones.  The  ones  that  make  you  feel  better,  for  a  time,  but  end  off  worse  than  before.  And  it's  true,  water  satisfies  in  a  way  nothing  else  can?

And  I  know  I've  mucked  up.  I've  mucked  up  big  time.

And  I'm  writing  my  talk,  cause  I'm  going  to  be  speaking  to  the  kids  about  Gideon.  I'm  going  to  be  telling  them  how  God  used  Him.  And  I  write  it  there,  in  my  notes.  Just  five  words.  Small,  insignificant.

But  those  five  words,  well,  they  hit  me  hard:
Israel  mucks  up,  God  saves.
Might  as  well  say  "I  muck  up,  God  saves".

I  muck  up.

Again,  and  again,  and  again.  And  then  again  and  again  and  again.

But  each  time,  God's  grace  covers  me.

Each  time,  God's  grace  draws  me  back.

Because  as  long  as  I  draw  breath,  God's  grace  can  give  me  life  again.

And,  yeah,  I've  got  my  own  little  Judges'  cycle  going - every  time  I  muck  up,  God  saves  me.  And  I  just  muck  up  again.

And  sometimes  I  wonder  if  this  is  the  last  time.  If  I  can't  be  saved  again.  If  that's  time  God's  finally  through  with  me.

But  each  morning,  I  wake  up,  I  draw  breath,  and  I  know,  God's  giving  me  another  chance  at  life.  Another  chance  to  depend  upon  Him  fully.  Another  chance  to  let  His  grace  cove  my  sins.  Another  chance  to  God  take  control.

Another  chance  to  connect  to  the  Vine  and  drink  deeply  from  His  life-giving  waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment