Tuesday 27 May 2014

Like a Little Child...

It's  been  one  of  those  weeks.

Ok,  it's  been  two.

Two  of  those  weeks  where  I've  felt  a  little  bit  like  a  little  girl  again.  A  little  girl  dressed  up  in  my  granny's  heels  and  old  dresses  (yeah...  Mum  doesn't  go  in  for  that  stuff)  tripping  around  the  hall  and  down  the  stairs  pretending  to  be  all  grown  up  and  sophisticated,  but  really  being  a  bit  of  a  mess.  Not  to  mention  a  health  hazard  (the  number  of  times  Mum  told  me  not  to  go  down  the  stairs  in  too  big  heels  and  I  still  did  it...  sorry  Mum).

But  anyway.

I  think  you  know  what  I  mean.  Unless  you're  a  guy.  Did  guys  do  that?  Where  their  dad's  clothes  and  pretend  to  be  grown  up?

Sorry,  I'm  rambling.  This  is  what  happens  when  you're  up  at  midnight  after  a  couple  of  hard  weeks.  You  ramble.  Best  of  luck  to  people  trying  to  find  the  wisdom  in  here.  It's  like  looking  for  a  nugget  of  gold.  There  may  only  be  a  fleck  of  dust  or  two.

Sorry,  focus,  Laura,  focus.

So,  I've  been  feeling  like  that.

Like  I'm  still  just  a  kid  pretending  to  be  grown  up.  Pretending  to  know  what  I'm  doing,  only  to  be  in  serious  danger  of  breaking  something  because  I'm  walking  down  stairs  in  too-big  shoes.  Only  this  time,  there  was  no  Mum  telling  me  it  was  dangerous  because  that's  what  I  am  now,  right?  An  adult.

And  sure  people  say  I'm  only  on  my  Ls  in  life  and  not  to  expect  to  get  it  all  right,  but  they  sure  treat  me  like  I  know  exactly  what  I'm  doing,  or  should  be  doing.  But  maybe  that  was  just  me.

Me  desperately  trying  to  be  perfect,  because,  I'll  be  honest,  I'm  still  not  entirely  sure  what  it  is  people  see  in  me  that  is  worth  anything.  And  the  whole  thing  was  getting  exhausting - to  the  point  of  having  a  mini  break  down  Sunday  morning.

But  I'm  not  here  to  dwell,  at  length,  again,  about  my  week.  Especially  not  at  midnight.  Having  just  submitted  an  assignment.  With  a  headache.  And  this  is  turning  into  a serious  pity  party,  isn't  it?

Well,  anyway.  I  was  at  the  pools  earlier,  doing  some  more  prac  hours  for  my  swimming  instructors  course.  One  of  my  classes  was  Squids,  which  is  a  step  up  from  Waterbabies  (which,  if  the  name  didn't  give  it  away,  is  the  beginners  swim  class  for  babies).  And  two  of  these  kids  had  only  just  come  up  from  Waterbabies.

They  had  no  idea  what  they  were  doing.

Their  technique  was  sloppy.

They  had  floats  on  (like,  multiple  floats  on).

But  they  spent  the  entire  lesson  grinning,  laughing,  splashing  and  just  generally  having  fun.

And,  well,  loving  their  time  in  the  water.  The  way  I  did  as  a  kid.

And  I  get  some  kids  who  scream  and  scream  and  scream.  And  I  get  some  kids  who  get  irritated  that  they  can't  do  something one  of  the  other  kids  can  (I  had  one  kid  cry  because  I  refused  to  let  him  swim  by  himself - but  seriously,  he  would  have  drowned).

But  not  these  kids.

Despite  the  constant  corrections  and  occasional  not  actually  going  anywhere  in  the  water  moments,  these  kids  were  having  a  ball.

I  could  help  but  chuckle  over  their  antics,  and  their  smiles  were  just  plain  infectious.

And  I  think  God  sent  them  to  me  purposefully  (ok,  I  know  He  did).  Because  as  I  watched  them  not  getting  it  right  and  laughing,  I  realized  something.

It  is  actually  ok  not  be  perfect.

It's  ok  to  not  get  it  right.

It's  ok  to  sometimes  not  go  anywhere.

Just  so  long  as  I  don't  let  the  frustration  of  it  take  over  my  life.

So  long  as  I  appreciate  what  I  do  have.  Just  like  those  kids  were  appreciating  their  time  in  the  water.

And,  yeah,  I  probably  will  have  days  where  I'm  that  kid  who  just  cries  because  I'm  not  getting  it  right.  Or  days  when  I  insist  I  can  do  it  alone  when  everyone  else  is  like  "erm,  no".  Because,  you  know,  I'm  a  stubborn,  sinful  woman  like  that.

But  really,  life  is  a  gift  from  God.  Why  not  enjoy  it?

No comments:

Post a Comment