Thursday 14 August 2014

The Gift of Now

So,  I  was  sorting  through  some  papers  that  had  accumulated  on  the  desk  now  removed  from  my  room.  It's  surprising  what  builds  up  over  a  twelvemonth  (ok...  it's  been  longer...).

As  I  sifted  through  the  piles,  most  of  it  well  out  of  date  and  needing  to  meet  the  recycling  bin,  I  came  across  a  letter  I  wrote  to  a  friend.  But  never  got  around  to  sending.  Life  gets  a  bit  like  that.

Still,  I  decided  to  read  it.  Wanted  to  know  what  I'd  been  thinking  all  those  months  ago.  What  I'd  thought  important  enough  to  write  down.

Having  settled  down  to  read  it,  the  thick  paper  rough  in  my  hands,  I  was  glad  I  did.  It  reminded  me  of  something  I've  been  forgetting  to  do  recently.

So,  I'm  going  to  share  it  here,  because  I'm  sure  I'm  not  the  only  one.

"I  hope  you'll  stop  a  moment  to  read  this  letter.  I  hope  you'll  take  a  minute  to  breathe,  to  see  that  in  this  moment,  in  this  second,  you  are  blessed.  This  second,  you  are  alive.  In  this  second you  breathe  in  the  richness  of  God's  world,  you  see  the  glory  of  His  creation.

"I  know  that  the  next  few  months  will  be  busy.    know  they  will  be  full  of  goodbyes.  I  know  they  will  be  full  of  pain.  I  have  been  there.

"Time  is  the  most  precious  of  gifts,  the  most  valuable  of  all  commodities.  Once  it  is  gone,  there  is  no  bringing  it  back.  Yet  so  many  of  us  allow  it  to  slip  through  our  fingers,  letting  it  run  like  sand,  too  busy  to  see  that  it  is  really  gold  dust.

"In  the  business  of  life  and  the  distractions  of  work,  it  seems  we  can  not  find  time  to  simply  be.  We  long  for  hours  with  friends  that  we  may  have  memories  to  share  forever.  Yet  this  is  unattainable,  for  who  has  hours  to  spare?  Not  I,  that's  for  sure.

"Stop  a  moment  to  read  this  letter.  Take  a  moment  to  breathe,  to  see  that  in  this  moment,  in  this  second,  you  are  blessed.  In  this  second,  you  are  alive.  In  this  second,  you  breathe  in  the  richness  of  God's  world,  you  see  the  glory  of  His  creation.  Enjoy  this  moment,  for  you  may  not  get  another.

"Forget  about  chasing  after  hours.  It  is  meaningless,  for  when  you  turn,  you  find  you  have  run  past  the  hours,  through  them.  Instead,  look  for  the  moments.  Don't  miss  the  joke  your  brother  tells,  or  the  sound  of  your  friend's  laugh.  Don't  be  too  busy  to  miss  the  sun  or  the  rain.  Look  for  each  moment.  Treasure  every  minute.  For  they  are  a  gift  from  God.  When  you  look  on  every  moment,  every  laugh,  smile,  joke,  tear,  exchange  in  the  hallway,  you'll  find  He  has  given  you  hours.

"Stopping  to  smell  the  roses  doesn't  mean  you  sit  with  the  roses  and  ignore  the  rest  of  the  garden.  It  just  means  you  don't  rush  through  the  garden  and  miss  the  colours  and  the  smells.  Pause  with  every  moment  and  think  "thank  you,  God,  for  now".

"In  years  to  come,  how  you  spent  your  hours  with  your  friends  will  be  forgotten,  but  those  little  moments  will  still  be  with  you.

"And  this  is  why  I  wrote  a  letter,  instead  of  sending  a  Skype  or  Facebook  message.  I  wanted  you  to  stop  a  moment  to  read  this  letter.  To  take  a  moment  to  breathe,  to  see  that  in  this  moment,  in  this  second,  you  are  blessed.  In  this  second,  you  are  alive.  In  this  second,  you  breathe  in  the  richness  of  God's  world,  you  see  the  glory  of  His  creation.

"Give  over  worrying  about  how  you'll  spend  tomorrow.  Tomorrow  may  never  come,  and  if  it  does,  it  will  take  care  of  itself.  Today  is  a  gift.  Tomorrow  is  just  a  promise  of  more.

"With  all  God's  love,  LRD"

No comments:

Post a Comment