Sunday 31 August 2014

A Future Burning Bright with Hope

There  are  moments  when  God's  timing  simply  blows  me  away.

Moments  when  His  goodness,  grace  and  sovereignty  catch  me  off  guard,  re-shape  my  thinking  and  opens  up  whole  new  possibilities.  Moments  where  He  tells  me  to  stop  worrying,  that  He  has  my  future  in  His  hands  and  even  blesses  me  with  a  glimpse  of  what  it  may  look  like  -  so  long  as  I  keep  on  saying  yes  to  Him.

The  past  week  and  a  half  have  been  a  struggle  for  me.  Talks  on  and  discussions  about  marriage  and  singleness  and  having  families  made  it  abundantly  clear  that  God  was  asking  me  to  do  more  than  just  entrust  my  choice  of  husband  to  Him:  He  was  asking  me  to  put  my  dream  of  a  husband  in  a  drawer - potentially  permanently.

Which  also  meant  putting  my  dreams  of  bearing  my  own  children  in  a  drawer.

Now,  before  you  all  jump  on  whatever  bandwagon  it  is  you're  about  to  jump  on,  let  me  explain.

I've  known  for  a  while  now  that  there  is  a  call  on  my  life  to  live  and  serve  in  places  that  are  dangerous  to  people  it  would  be  dangerous  to  associate  with.  And,  to  be  perfectly  honest,  the  thinking  of  the  last  few  weeks  has  not  been  knew  thinking  -  this  has  just  been  the  first  time  I  haven't  skirted  the  issue.  The  first  time  I  have  had  to  really  face  the  matter - and  all  that  it  entails  -  head  on.  And  deal  with  the  consequences.

And  yes,  the  pain.

Do  I  want  a  family?  Yes.

Do  I  want  a  husband?  Yes.

Do  I  want  to  hear  my  children's  first  cries?  See  their  first  steps?  Hold  them  as  they  cry?  Yearn  to  soothe  their  teething  pains?  Deal  with  their  broken  hearts?  Teach  them  about  what  it  means  to  live  -  and  to  live  as  a  child  of  God?  Yes,  oh  yes!

But far  more  than  that,  I  want  to  serve  God.  I  want  to  be  free  to  go  where  He  calls  me,  when  He  calls  me.

And  I'm  not  giving  up  my  those  dreams - just  putting  them  in  a  drawer.  They're  still  there.  And  I  firmly  believe  that  if  God  chooses  to,  He  will  fulfill  them.  But,  as  a  friend  of  mine  said,  if  there  is  a  man  God  wants  me  to  marry,  I  will  not  be  able  to  avoiding  meeting  Him  just  because  I  choose  to  serve  God  first.  And  serving  God  does  come  first.

Still,  even  knowing  that  God  does  come  first  and  that  He  might  still  fulfill  those  dreams,  the  past  few  days  have  been  a  struggle.  I  have  been  in  tears  at  least  once  and  come  close  to  them  more  than  once  at  the  thought  that  I  might  never  be  a  mother.  I  might  never  be  a  wife.  (Because  surely  it's  better  to  realize  that,  process  and  embrace  it  now  than  to  turn  around  in  20  years  time  and  be  bitter  about  not  having  anything?  Surely  life  will  be  the  sweeter  whatever  happens  if  I  don't  expect  those  particular  gifts.  Because  they  are  gifts,  not  entitlements.)

Then,  yesterday  afternoon,  I  walk  into  my  bedroom  to  see  that  Mum  had  bought  me  a  book  I'd  been  eying  off  for  months  -  Kisses  from  Katie.

And  as  I  read  those  words,  as  I  read  the  story  of  that  woman  not  much  older  than  me  -  the  same  age  as  me  when  she  first  set  out  -  who  just  said  yes  to  God,  who  just  keeps  on  saying  yes,  and  the  crazy,  out-of-this-world  way  God  has  used  her  simple  yes  to  transform  hundreds  of  lives.  Her  own  included.  The  way  that  18  year  old  just  out  of  high  school  wound  up  as  a  26  year  old  with  13  adopted  girls  (or  more)  and  the  founder  of  an  entire  ministry  in  the  villages  of  Uganda.  How  the  girl  who  gave  up  her  dreams,  her  boyfriend,  her  friends,  found  herself  living  a  dream  far  more  wondrous  and  more  fulfilling  than  anything  she  could  have  dared  imagine.  As  I  read  about  all  that;  I  realize  something:

The  friend  who  held  me  after  my  confession  of  heart  break  over  the  weeks  realisation  was  right:  I  will  always  be  a  mother.

I  will  always  be  a  mother  because  there  will  always  be  people  who  need  to  know  the  love  of  a  mother  and  I  have  that  love  and  a  reason  to  give  it  to  them.  I  have  a  Father  telling  me  to  love  the  orphan  because  He  loves  them.  Because  He  loves  them  and  He  wants  them  to  know  that,  but  how  can  they  if  they've  never  known  love?

And  all  I  have  to  do  is  keep  saying  yes.  To  keep  saying  yes  to  loving  the  people  right  in  front  of  me.  To  keep  saying  yes  to  loving  people  I've  never  yet  met.  To  keep  saying  yes  to  loving  God.  To  just  keep  saying  yes  to  God.

My  life  will  go  to  places  far  greater  and  far  more  beautiful  than  I  could  ever  have  imagined.  Because  the  very  centre  of  God's  will  is  wondrous.

And  a  sense  of  deep  peace  fills  my  soul.  No,  more  than  that,  a  sense  of  deep,  wild,  excited  joy,  of  glee  fills  me  up.

And  that  crazy  girl  from  Nashville,  Tennessee  and  her  13  Ugandan  children  teach  me  a  lesson  about  living  solely  for  God:  the  joy,  the  sheer,  inexplicable,  all-consuming  joy  of  obeying  God  far  outweighs  the  pain  of  any  sacrifices  that  are  made  along  the  way.

No comments:

Post a Comment