Thursday 4 September 2014

Safe Water September

Clean  water  is  a  rather  remarkable  thing.  It  allows  us  to  keep  our  bodies,  clothes,  dishes  and  houses  germ  and  disease -  well,  not  entirely  free,  but  mostly  free.  Cold  water  on  a  hot  day  is  delicious.  Hot  water  as  tea  or  coffee  provides  us  with  the  energy  boost  we  need.  Our  food  is  often  cooked  using  water  -  and  we  all  know  how  important  food  is!

In  my  house,  if  I  open  the  fridge,  I'll  find  a  bottle  of  clean  water.  If  I  open  the  freezer,  I'd  find  clean  water  frozen  as  ice.  If  I  turn  on  any  tap,  clean  water  comes  gushing  out.  And  the  pool  outside  is  filled  with  the  clean  water.  Or  it  would  be  clean  if  it  was  maintained  more  regularly.

For  this  reason,  I  think  clean  water  is  a  gift  from  God.  But  one  that  is  taken  too  much  for  granted.

750, 000, 000  people  in  the  world  have  absolutely  no  access  to  clean  water.  750, 000, 000  people.

That  statistic  is  staggering.  Especially  when  I  think  about  how  freely  clean  water  is  available  to  me.  And  I  do  believe  that  it  is  an  unacceptably  high  statistic.

Our  world  is  not  water  pour.  Here  in  the  west,  we  take  clean  water  for  granted,  so  we  waste  most  of  it.  And  right  there  is  the  great  injustice  of  the  issue.  One  which  I  believe  God  is  asking  us  to  address.

For  that  reason,  I  have  decided  to  partake  in  Safe  Water  September.  What  this  means  is  I  will  be  going  for  the  entire  month  of  September  (and  the  first  4  days  of  October)  not  drinking  anything  except  water.  (Which  means  no  tea  for  me...)  But  I  fully  believe  it  is  worth  it.

As  I  spend  this  month  abstaining  from  all  beverages  except  water,  I  will  ask  you,  my  dear  friends,  to  be  sponsoring  me.  The  money  you  donate  will  go  to  Embody  who  will  use  the  money  to  provide  men,  women  and  children  in  Zimbabwe  with  clean  water.  Every  $20  that  is  raised  will  give  one  more  person  access  to  clean  water.

This  will  dramatically  improve  their  standard  of  living.  From  something  as  practical  as  water  collection  no  longer  sucking  hours  of  their  time  to  improving  their  health  as  germs,  viruses  and  worms  in  dirty  water  are  removed  from  their  diets.

With  this  in  mind,  I  am  starting  with  a  fundraising  goal  of  $500.  I  fully  believe  that  through  the  generosity  of  my  friends  and  family  and  the  graciousness  of  God,  we  can  achieve  (and  even  exceed)  this  goal.  In  order  to  donate,  head  over  here.  As  all  the  money  is  going  to  a  central  fund,  it  would  be  awesome  if  you  could  write  my  name  in  the  comment  section  of  your  donation  to  let  them  know  that  you  are  sponsoring  me.  This  will  help  us  to  keep  track  of  how  much  we  are  raising.

Thank  you  so  much  in  advance  for  your  generosity!
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."  ~  Matthew  25: 34 - 40

No comments:

Post a Comment