Sunday 28 September 2014

By the Grace of God

It's  been  one  of  those  weeks.

Well,  it's  been  whole  months  of  them.  But  these  last  two  weeks  have  been  "one  of  those  weeks"  even  more  so  than  usual.

One  of  those  weeks  when  "chin  up  and  charge  the  mountain"  is a  distant  rallying  cry  scratched  down  on  a  piece  of  paper  and  looks  really  good  sitting  there,  all  inked  up  and  fancy-like  but  just  isn't  possible.  One  of  those  weeks  when  keeping  "head  down  and  keep  ploughing" is  the  painful  reality.

Keep  your  head  down,  blink  back  the  tears,  push  down  the  pain.  "Conceal,  don't  feel,  don't  let  them  know."  (Frozen,  anyone?)  Keep  your  head  down  and  do  your  job.  Sweep  that  floor,  hug  that  child,  answer  that  text,  make  that  phone  call.  I  know  it  hurts,  but,  honey,  you've  got  to  keep  on  loving  because  if  you  can't  do  that,  then  you're  not  worth  the  love  others  give  you.  (Cue  the  cracking  whip).

And  Sunday  last  week  I  sent  a  friend  a  text,  my  heart  was  there  and  was  screaming  in  pain.  I  begged  her  and  her  husband  to  pray  for  me.  It  was  a  whisper.  A  loud  one  full  of  desperation.  I'll  share  it  with  you  here,  cause  I  don't  think  I'm  the  only  one  who  feels  this way:

I've  been  feeling  very  tired  in  the  bone  weary,  muscle  aching,  head  empty,  shoulders  weighed  down  kind  of  way.  And  God  keeps  telling  me  to  let  it  all  go,  but  I  don't  know  how,  and  if  I  did,  I  don't  know  if  I  could.  I'm  just...  I  feel  like  I'm  carrying  a  burden  so  heavy  it  is  forcing  me  to  my  knees  in  the  mud  and  on  the  one  hand  I  have  a  hideous  task  master  cracking  a  whip  and  pushing  me  to  keep  going.  And  on  the  other  hand,  I  have  God  telling  me  He  has  cut  the  straps  and  I  can  just  up  and  walk  away  and  into  His  arms.  And  there  are  moments  when  I  can  feel  it  happening.  Moments  when  the  burden  is  eased.  But  then  something  will  happen.  The  whip  will  crack  and  the  burden  will  come  back  in  full  weight  and  I'll  feel  trapped  and  the  worse  for  knowing  the  taste  of  freedom.
You  all  know  what  I'm  talking  about,  right?

 And  all  week,  both  sermons,  I've  heard  since  then.  Books  and  blog  posts  that  I've  read,  they  all  say  the  same  thing:

I  can't  be  good  enough.  Ever.  Never,  ever,  ever  will  what  I  do  be  good  enough.

That's  the  bad  news.

But  right  on  its  heels  comes  the  Good  News:  I  don't  have  to  be...  Jesus  did  that  for  me.  God  who  became  a  baby,  who  became  a  man  who  died  and  returned  to  life,  defeating  death  and  sin  -  yeah,  Him,  He  covers  all  my  flaws,  all  my  inadequacies  and  He  makes  my  life  an  offering  worthy  of  God.  All  I  have  to  do  is  give  it  to  Him.

And  today,  today  I  read  these  words  and  they've  been  ringing  around  my  head  all  morning.  I've  shared  them  with  my  mother,  my  friends.  Because  it's  something  I  hadn't  realized  before,  and,  oh  boy  is  it  freeing.  Cause  Holley  Gerth  she  got  it  right  when  she  typed  these  words  out:
You  can't  disappoint  God,  because  disappointment  is  about  expectations.  And  expectations  are  about  an  unknown  future.  But  God  already  knows  everything,  so  He  doesn't  have  expectations.
 And  if  I  don't  need  to  worry  about  being  a  disappointment  to  God,  why  should  I  worry  about  being  a  disappointment  to  man?

And  sure,  it'll  be  head  down  and  keep  on  working  many  days - because  life  is  hard.  But  life  doesn't  have  to  be  a  burden.  Not  when  the  grace  of  God  is  coming  down  in  torrents.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment