Sunday 31 January 2016

What are you grateful for?

So,  January  has  come  to  an  end,  which  means  that  2016  is  well  and  truly  underway,  with  different  ministries  gearing  up  ready  to  go.  Still,  I  thought  I'd  take  this  opportunity  to  share  some  of  the  things  I  am  grateful  for  this  month.

1)  My  family
I  am  extremely  grateful  for  my  family  this  month.  I  was  grateful  to  be  able  to  spend  time  with  my  immediate  family  over  my  birthday  and  my  dad's  birthday.  I  was  grateful  for  the  opportunity  to  spend  time  hanging  out  with  my  middle  sister  before  she  headed  overseas  for  a  year.  I  was  grateful  for  how  welcoming  they  were  of  my  housemate  when  she  came  to spend  a  couple  of  days  with  us  for  my  birthday. I  am  grateful  that  my  parents  have  a  very open-handed,  God-trusting  attitude  towards  raising  the  three  of  us.  Especially  as  it  means  that  middle-sister  is  able  to  spend  a  year  serving  God  in  some  wonderfully  diverse  places  around  the  world  with  a  wonderfully  diverse  team  of  people,  while youngest-sister  spent  10  days  serving  in  Cambodia.
I  was grateful  to  be  able  to  spend  some  time  catching  up  with  extended  family,  especially  the  cousins  that  live  in  Bali.  It  was  a  joy  to  spend  a  little  bit  of  time  getting  to  know  them  better.  I  am  also  very  grateful  for  how  supportive  they  always  are  of  my  immediate  family  -  even  though  our  beliefs  and  attitudes  towards  life  and  the  things  that  matter  are  fairly  radically  different.

2)  My  housemates
I  am  super  grateful  for  my  housemates  this  month.  Particularly  my  name-sharer.  I  had  a  great  time  hanging  out  with  her  at  my  family  home,  watching  her  cram  three  visits  to  Yogurtland  and  9  (she  thinks  maybe  12)  different  flavours  into  three  days  with  us.  I  enjoyed  watching  k-drama,  swapping  stories  and  laughing  over  silly  things.  I'm  grateful  that  my  housemates  are  such  awesome  people  that  I've  missed  them  when  we've  all  been  away  on  holidays.  I'm  so  super  keen  to  spend  time  hanging  out  with  them,  sharing  life  and  faith  with  them  this  year.  I'm  also  really  looking  forward  to  getting  to  know  the  newest  addition  to  our  household  better.

3)  My  church
I  have  to  admit,  all  the  time  I've  spent  away  from  home  this  month  has  really  highlighted  to  me  just  how  grateful  I  am  for  my  church.  I  found  myself  wishing  each  Sunday  I  was  away  that  I  could  go  (and  ended  up  leaving  beach  mission  for  a   couple  of  hours  so  that  I  could...),  have  deeply  missed  catching  up  with  many of  the  women  and  children  there  and  have  loved  the  time  I  have  spent  hanging  out  with  some  of  the  families  there.  I  loved  being  able  to  host  a  dinner  and  an  afternoon  tea  for  a  couple  of  the  families.  I  am  grateful  for  and  encouraged  by  the  time  I've  spent  hanging  out  with  the  minister's  family,  as  well  as  for  my  chats  with  him  and  his  wife.  The  wisdom,  godliness  and  spirit  of  support  and  encouragement  in  the  church  is  so  uplifting.  I  am  eternally  grateful  that  God  brought  me  to  this  church  family,  and  am  keen  to  serve  God  alongside  them  this  year.

4)  Old  friends
I  was  very  grateful  for  the  myriad  of  opportunities  I  had  to  catch  up  with  old  friends  this  month.  Friends  from  school,  church  and  Year  13.  I  was  particularly  grateful  for  the  opportunity  I  had  to  get  to  know  an  old  high  school  acquaintance  and  her  new  husband  better,  as  well  as  the  opportunity  I  had  to  catch  up  with  my  Austrian  Year  13  friend.  It  is  a  constant  source  of  delight  to  see  how  time  and  distance  do  not  necessarily  mean  friendships  will  be  lost.  And  it  is  always  so  reassuring  to  see  that  when  God  is  the  foundation  of  a  friendship,  then  the  relationships  will  last  for  eternity,  no  matter  what  happens  here  and  now.

So,  those  are  4  things  I  am  thanking  God  for  this  month.  What  about  you?

No comments:

Post a Comment