Saturday 15 March 2014

A Beautiful Mess

There's  a  pool  of  egg  white  on  the  stovetop,  a  sprinkling  of  icing  sugar  covering  the  bench  top,  Friand  mixture  splatters  pretty  much  everywhere,  chocolate  stains  on  my  apron,  cheesecake  mixture  on  a  shopping  bag,  a  stack  of  dishes  in  the  sink  and  my  hands  are  stained  raspberry  red.

You  could  say  it  is  a  bit  of  a  mess.

But  for  some  reason,  I  don't  seem  to  mind.

It  isn't  bothering  me  that  there  is  a  mess  there  for  me  to  clean  up.

In  fact,  the  mess  seems  almost  beautiful.

Perhaps  because  it  seems  worth  it  when  I  think  of  the  Raspberry  Cheesecake  Brownies  cooling  on  the  bench  and  the  Mini  Raspberry  Friands  due  to  go  into  the  oven.

And  of  the  friends  coming  over  tonight  and  how  much  they  are  going  to  enjoy  eating  the  foods  I've  made  3  hours,  2  trips  to  the  shop  and  1  messy  kitchen  later  (and  at  least  1  load  of  dishes  already  done,  courtesy  of  Dad).

And  it  occurs  to  me  that  there  have  been  times  when  the  kitchen  has  been  less  messy  and  I've  been  more  stressed  about  it.  For  a  second  I  wonder  why.

Then  I  realize:

those  times  when  a  small  splatter  of  egg  stressed  me  out,  or  a  dash  of  flour  has  me  rushing  for  the  cloth,  or  the  sizzling  of  water  hitting  a  hot  ring  has  me  rubbing  my  forehead  anxiously,  have  been  the  times  when  I've  been  so  focused  on  the  process  of  cooking,  on  the  process  of  cleaning  that  I've  lost  sight  of  just  what  it  is  I'm  cooking,  and  just  why  it  is  I'm  cooking  it.

When  I've  forgotten  the  big  picture  and  been  caught  up  in  the  minute,  that's  when  I've  gotten  the  most  stressed.

And  suddenly  I  realize  that  I'm  not  just  thinking  about  the  cooking,  I'm  thinking  about  all  of  my  life.

When  I've  forgotten  what  God has  done  for  me,  when  I've  taken  my  eyes  off  of  God's  promises,  when  I've  overlooked  God's  glory  those  are  the  times  when  my  pain  has  overwhelmed  me.  When  I've  stressed  the  most.  When  I've  hated  myself  the  most.

Because  I've  forgotten  the  big  picture  and  been  caught  up  in  the  minute.

And  the  minute  only  matters  if  you  see  God  in it.

If  you  see  His  Greatness  and  His  Grace.

And  they  say  it's  not  the  destination  that  matters,  but  the  journey.

But  I  don't  think  that's  true.

It's  the  destination  that  makes  the  journey  worth  while.

What  does  it  matter  what  lessons  we  learn,  what  mistakes  we  make,  what  things  we  see,  what  we  experience,  if  we  never  arrive  anywhere?

If  it  doesn't  actually  go  towards  anything?

And  just  focusing  on  the  journey,  well,  it  bogs  you  down  and  stresses  you  out  and  you  can  forget  why  you  ever  started  on  it  and  give  up,  and  then  never  reach  the  destination.

And  you  miss  out.

You  miss  out  big  time.

Because  when  you  journey  with  God,  it's  not  about  the  journey.  It's  about  who  He  makes  you,  where  He's  taking  you,  and  who  He  is.

And  contrary  to  the  "it's  the  journey,  not  the  destination"  mentality,  Paul  urges  us  to  fix  our  eyes  on  the  prize,  to  run  the  race,  to  fight  the  good  fight  and  to  never  give  up.  And  Peter  and  John,  well,  they  urge  us  to  keep  growing,  keep  moving,  because  where  we're  moving  too,  who  we're  moving  to  is  worth  all  the  pain,  all  the  agony,  all  the  mess.

It's  not  the  journey  that  matters,  it's  the  destination.  Because  the  destination  gives  the  journey  meaning,  and  the  journey  leads  to  the  destination.

And  the  mess  is  beautiful  not  because  of  any  beauty  it  inherently  has,  but  because  the  mess  is  part  of  something  bigger.  Something  better.

No comments:

Post a Comment