Sunday 23 March 2014

The Gift of Singleness

I  wear  a  ring  on  my  left  ring  finger.

A  Claddagh.  The  Irish  symbol  of  love.

I  wear  it  there  as  a  symbol,  and  a  reminder,  that  my  commitment  is  to  God  first,  then  to  any  man  who  may  or  may  not  come  along  as  my  husband.

Initially,  I  was  going  to  have  it  engraved  with  "SoS 2:7"  the  reference  to  the  very  first  time  the  refrain  "Promise  me,  O  women  of  Jerusalem,  by  the  gazelles  and  wild  deer,  not  to  awaken  love  until  the  time  is  right"  is  said  in  Song  of  Songs,  and  wear  the  ring  as  a  purity  ring.

Now  I'm  glad  I  didn't  because  the  ring  means  so  much  more  to  me  than  just  a  promise  to  remain  chaste.

But  I  wonder,  is  my  thinking  in  every  day  life  actually  in  line  with  what  the  ring  means?

Does  my  life,  or  more  accurately,  my  thinking,  reflect  the  fact  that  God  is  the  one  I  need?  That  God  is  the  One  my  life  is  committed  to,  not  my  potential  future  spouse?

A  friend  of  mine  posted  a  link  to  this  blog.  The  writer  is  in  a  similar  stage  of  life  to  me,  and  I  found  some  of  her  comments  very  challenging.

She  commented  that  people  seem  to  view  the  life  of  a  single  woman  (or  man)  as  a  life  in  transition.  Personally,  I  think  it's  a  bit  of  a  hangover  from  the  days  (ok,  the  entirety  of  history)  when  a  woman's  purpose  in  life  was  to  get  married  and  raise  good  kids.

But  it's  true,  isn't  it?

So  often,  we  here  the  value  and  goodness  of  marriage  being  exalted,  but  rarely  do  we  here  the  same  thing  of  singleness.  And  I'm  focusing  on  the  church  here,  though  I  don't  think  that  the  secular  Western  culture  of  "I'm  single,  I'm  free,  I  can  sleep  with  anyone"  is  actually  singleness.

It's  certainly  not  godly  singleness.

Godly  singleness,  now  there's a  phrase  I  rarely  hear.  And  when  I  do,  it  is  usually  in  the  context  of  preparing  for  a  godly  marriage.

Strange,  isn't  it?  If  you  look  at  what  Paul  has  to  say  on  singleness  and  marriage,  it's  singleness  he  encourages  and  models.  Part  of  that  could  well  be  that  everyone  has  the  marriage  thing  down  pat  (what  little girl  doesn't  dream  of  her  Prince  Charming  husband?  And  what  man  is  not  encouraged  by  at  least  one  person  he  knows  to  settle  down  and  get  married?)

And  if  it  is,  I  think  Paul  is  trying  to  urge  people  to  not  discount  the  life  of  singleness  as  a  wholesome  and  fulfilling  life.  In  fact,  he  makes  good  points.

It  is  much  easier  for  a  single  to  put  their  life  on  the  line  in  service  of  God.  They  have  less  people  to  think  for.

But  I'm  straying  here  slightly.  Not  really.

Anyway,  what  I'm  trying  to  say  is  quite  similar  to  what  the  author  of  that  blog  was  saying.

Living  life  as  a  single  as  though  you're  in  a  waiting  room  is  ridiculous.

And  I  am  guilty  of  that.  I  promised  that  this  year  I  would  devote  it  to  God,  to  studying  Him  and  serving  Him.  Yet  I  still  wonder  if  I've  met  my  future  husband,  if  he's  someone  I  know  well,  or  someone  I  don't  know  yet.

And, well,  I  think  it  says  something  about  what  I  value.

I  find  it  hard  to  be  content  to  be  single.  To  think  that  I  really  can  have  a fulfilling  life  without  a  man.  Because  I  am  so  completely  surrounded  by  couples,  people  jokingly  playing  matchmaker  for  me  and  people who  want  to  know,  every  single  time  I  see  them,  if  I've  met  someone  yet.

But  here's  the  conclusion  I'm  coming  to:  treating  the  single  life  as  a  waiting  room  is  a  form  of  idolatry.

Why?

Because  it  says  God  is  not enough.

It  says  that  God  is  somehow  inferior  to  that  husband  who  may  or  may  not  show  up  one  day.

It  says  that  living  for  God  is  not  as  important  as  preparing  for  that  person  I  haven't  even  met  yet.

And  it  is  a  turning  up  of  the  nose  at  the  very  real  gift  of  singleness  that  God  has  given  us  right  here,  right  now.

Because  singleness  is  just  as  wondrous  a  gift  as  marriage.  All  of  life  is  one  great  gift  of  grace.

And  what  really  matters  isn't  whether  I  have  a  boyfriend  or  whether  I'm  single.  It  doesn't  matter  if  I  end  up  a  stay-at-home  mum  with  numerous  kids  and  a  great  husband,  or  a  single  woman  in  a  house  with  cats  (actually,  the  cat  thing  is  unlikely,  I'd  prefer  a  ferret).

What  does  matter  is  that  at  the  end  of  my  life  I  can  look  back  and  say  "I  loved  God.  I  walked  with  God.  I  served  God.  I  made  the  most  of  every  opportunity  and  honoured  God  every  step  of  the  way."

I  don't  need  a  boyfriend  or  husband  in  order  to  live  my  life.

I  just  need  God.

Every  day  that  I  have  is  a  gift  from  Him.  Every  hour  is  an  opportunity  to  live  for  Him.  Every  second  is  a  time  to  worship  Him.

And  I  think  godly  singleness  (and  godly  marriage)  is  about  taking  hold  of  those  opportunities  with  both  hands  and  running  with  them.

It's  about  fighting  the  good  fight  and  running  the  race  with  perseverance  to  the  end.  Regardless  of  whether  you  are  running  as  a  single,  a  girlfriend,  a  wife  or  a  mother.

Because  life  isn't  about  being  single  or  being  married.

It's  about  God.

I  wear  a  ring  on  my  left  ring  finger.

It's  there  and  it's  not  coming  off.

It's  not  a  sign  that  I  am  committed  to  any  man.

It  is  a  sign  that  I  am  committed  to  the  great  and  glorious  Creator  of  the  universe  and  am  going  to  live  my  life  in  relationship  with  Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment