Friday 21 March 2014

A Year to Remember: The Story So Far

Hey  everyone,

So,  I  figured  I  should  probably  start  being  intentional  about  keeping  people  up  to  date  with  how  I'm  going,  what  I  need  prayer  for  and  the  administration  details  of,  well,  fundraising.

This  means  that  this  post  will  be  the  first  of  what  will  hopefully  be  a  weekly  (no  promises,  but  I'll  try  not  to  let  it  stretch  longer  than  fortnightly)  update.

I  have  the  feeling  that  most  of  you  don't  actually  know  what  it  is  I'm  doing  this  year,  so  I'll  give  you  the  quick  rundown.  I  am  doing  a  gap  year  program  called  Year  13.  This  is  a  subdivision,  course,  I'm  not  sure  what  the  word  is,  of  the  Anglican  Bible  college  Youthworks.  It's  a  great  program  that  involves  Bible  college  study,  ministry,  and  work.  So,  it's  not  really  a  year  off...  I  also  have  some  other  things  that  I'll  be  doing,  like  travelling  and  catching  up  with  friends  and  writing  that  I'll  be  trying  to  balance  in  the  year  as  well.

The  word  that  comes  to  mind  here  is  busy...

Anyway,  now  that  you  have  the  rundown,  here's  how  it  is  going.

College
College  has  been  a  mixture  of  good  and  bad  so  far.  I've  had  six  weeks  so  far,  and  I've  been  assured  that  the  community  down  there  will  be  my  dearest  friends  and  family  by  the  end,  so  it  should  be  mostly  good.

I  have  been  loving  the  studies  that  we've  been  doing.  One  of  our  classes,  Theology  for  Everyday  Living  (or  is  it  Life?  Whichever,  I'll  refer  to  it  as  TEL  from  now  on),  is  a   thought  provoking  subject  intended  to  challenge  and  grow  our  moral  imagination.  Which  is  a  fancy  way  of  saying  get  us  thinking  about  ethics.   Biblical  Theology  of  Mission  (BTM)  has  also  been  very  good  as  we've  been  studying  an  overview  of  the  Bible  and  seeing  how  God's  mission  (which  is  the  restore  His  Kingdom)  is  revealed  throughout  the  Bible.  It  is  a  fascinating  subject,  and  I  never  realized  just  how  full  the  Bible  was  until  we  had  to  content  ourselves  with  brief  "and  this  happened,  then  that  happened  and  it's  all  really  important  but  this  is  what  we're  focusing  on"  about  whole  sections  of  the  Bible.  Our  lecturers  are  also  really  engaging.

Class  aside,  the  community  is  really  good.  We  are  split  into  prayer  groups  of  3  (or,  in  my  case,  4).  I've  been  loving  this  as  it  is  an  opportunity  for  me  to  engage  with  my  fellow  students  on  a  deeper  level  than  I  would  probably  otherwise  have  been  able  to  this  early  in  the  game.  Chaplaincy  groups  are  similar.  Larger  groups,  but  similar.  There,  we  have  an  older  leader  who  will  be  looking  at  different  things  with  as  a  providing  us  with  a  larger  support  network  than  just  our  prayer  groups.  So  far,  my  chaplaincy  group  has  focused  on  sharing  our  testimonies,  something  that  I  have  been  loving  as,  again,  it  means  that  we  can  get  to  know  each  other  more  deeply.  It  has  also  been  really  encouraging,  and  challenging.  I'll  probably  type  my  testimony  up  here  soon  and  share  it  with  you  all.

So,  that's  been  a  lot  of  the  good.  The  bad,  because  I  did  say  it's  been  a  mixture,  has  mostly  been  my  own  struggle  with  connecting  with  the  other  students.  It  has  been  getting  better  as  people  get  more  comfortable  and  I  start  getting  to  know  people  in  my  prayer  and  chaplaincy  groups,  but  it  has  still  been  a  struggle.  I  am  really,  really  atrocious  and  just  meeting  people.  So,  you  know,  there  have  been  many  weeks  when  I've  felt  very  much  like  I'm  on  the  sidelines  looking  in.  Still,  it's  early  days.  And  my  chaplaincy  leader  said  she  had  a  similar  experience  when  she  did  Year  13,  so  I'm  positive  it  will  get  better.

This  week  was  the  best.  What  we  do  is  go  to  the  campus  early  Wednesday  and  leave  on  Thursday,  staying  the  night  in  between.  This  week,  after  dark,  a  group  of  us  wandered  down  to  the  chapel  (which  is  open  air,  in  the  bush)  and  spent  an  hour  just  chatting,  absorbing  the  wonder  of  nature  and  marveling  at  the  Creator,  with  the  occasional  bursts  of  insanity.  It  was  a  great  evening,  and  was  really  encouraging.  Something  about  hanging  out  with  other  people  my  age,  who  I  would  probably  not  be  able  to  associate  with  anywhere  else  (seriously,  at  school,  they  would  have  been  "the  cool  crowd")  and  seeing  the  love  and  passion  and  wonder  they  have  for  God  was  extraordinarily  encouraging.  It  was  suggested  later  that  maybe  we  should  have  an  after  dark  worship  service  one  week.  I'm  all  for  it.

So,  that's  the  basic  update  for  college.

Ministry

Ministry  has  been  going  well,  I  think.  I'm  involved  with  leading  Kids  Klub,  helping/teaching  Sunday  school  and  am  prayer  elder  (a  position  not  as  fancy  as  it  sounds)  at  the  evening  service.  I  am  also  involved  with  worship  leading,  logistics  and  welcoming.

Kids  Klub  has  been  great  fun.  I've  loved  getting  to  know  the  kids  who  come  more  every  week,  as  well  as  being  able  to  engage  with  them  on  topics  of  God,  faith,  the  whys  and  the  hows.  The  children  are  all  so  inquisitive,  it's  great!!  I  was  due  to  do  the  talk  this  week,  but  sickness  unfortunately  made  finishing  writing  the  talk  impossible  so  the  youth  minister  is  covering  it.

Sunday  school  has  been  quite  similar  to  Kids  Klub  as  I  was  in  with  the  same  age  group  as  come  to  Kids  Klub.  I  was  due  to  start  with  a  younger  age  group  on  Sunday,  but  again,  sickness  got  in  the  way.  I'll  be  starting  that  this  Sunday,  unless  I  take  a  sudden  turn  for  the  worse.

Prayer  elder  is  slightly  more  complex  than  either  Sunday  school  or  Kids  Klub  as  there  is  still  a  lot  of  making  it  up  as  I  go.  My  role  is  basically  to  be  encouraging  members  of  the  congregation  to  pray  for  each  other,  for  ministry,  for  national  and  international  issues  and  for  other  things  they  might  not  necessarily  think  of.  The  biggest  challenge  I've  had  with  this  role  has  been  the  lack  of  prayer  points  that  have  been  shared  -  it's  hard  to  pass  on  points  I  don't  have!  I  am  also  working  on  organizing  a  prayer  group  meeting  for  1  Sunday  a  month.  The  first  meeting  is  due  in  just  over  a  fortnight,  but  there  are  a  lot  of  logistical  details  for  me  to  work  out  before  then.

I  have  loved  being  able  to  get  to  know  some  of  the  women,  and  lots  of  the  kids,  from  church  better.  I've  had  some  great  conversations  with  some  of  the  mothers,  and  have  been  really  encouraged  by  some  of  the  newcomers.  It's  been  a  real  blessing  this  year  to  really  get  to  now  the  new  wife  of  an  old  youth  group  leader  of  mine.  She's  been  a  real  joy  to  get  to  know  and  I  anticipate  a  long  friendship.  That's  probably  the  greatest  joy  at  the  moment.

The  challenge  for  me  is  to  get  in  touch  with  a  friend  of  mine  who  has  grown  a  little  reclusive.  I  would  love  to  work  through  one  of  the  gospels  (Luke's)  with  her,  but  I  have  no  idea  how  to  go  about  it.  Please  pray  for  help  with  that.

Work

This  is  the  one  I've  the  least  to  talk  about.  Mainly  because  of  the  absence  of  it.

I  am  working  on  finishing  up  my  qualification  as  swimming  instructor.  All  I  have  left  to  do  is  my  prac  hours,  but  the  woman  I'm  trying  to  organize  that  with  and  I  have  been  playing  phone  tag.  We  never  seem  able  to  catch  each  other.  Still,  we  have  managed,  through  a  series  of  voicemail  messages  and  emails,  to  make  some  progress.  I  sent  her  an  email  with  my  availabilities  today  and  hopefully  she'll  get  back  to  me  on  that  soon.  Please  pray  that  I  can  start  doing  those  hours  next  week.

The  hope  is  that  I  can  do  my  prac  hours,  or   a  lot  of  them,  before  I  go  to  Ireland  and  Jordan  in  21  days.  So,  yeah,  running  out  of  time.  So,  prayers  would  be  really  appreciated.  It  would  also  be  great  if  I  could  be  qualified  by  just  before  I  go,  or  not  long  after  I  get  back,  so  that  I  can  start  working  in  May.

Other  things

So,  here's  some  of  the  other  things  that  are  going  on.  As  I  mentioned  earlier,  I'm  going  to  Ireland  and  Jordan  for  21  days.  And  yes,  I  am  super  excited.

I'll  be  in  Ireland  for  a  week  (with  my  dad),  and  whilst  I  don't  have  any  firm  plans  or  ideas,  I  am  really  looking  forward  to  catching  up  with  family  and  seeing  the  country  again.  The  only  thing  I  really  want  to  do  there  is  cook  dinner  for  my  family  one  night.  I'll  then  be  going  to  fortnight  with  the  rest  of  my  family  (parents  and  sisters)  and  some  church  friends.  The  first  week  we'll  be  travelling  around  Jordan  seeing  the  sights  (SOOOO  excited)  and  in  the  second  week  we'll  be  focusing  on  visiting  friends.  I'm  keen  for  all  of  it,  especially  the  Easter  sunrise  service  on  Mount  Nebo  that  we  are  planning  to  attend.  One  thing  I  really,  really  want  to  do  though  is  visit  some  of  the  refugees  from  Syria  and  get  to  know  some  of  them.

Speaking  of  refugees,  it  has  recently  been  brought  to  my  attention,  over  and  over  again,  the  situation  of  many  of  the  asylum  seekers  who  have  come  here  hoping  for  safety.  So  I  have  decided  to  begin  working  on  looking  into  what  we  are  doing,  our  policies  and  the  facts  more  so  that  I  can  be  more  informed  when  speaking  about  it.  As  part  of  this,  I'm  also  looking  into  organizing  a  visit  to  Villawood  Detention  Centre  and  looking  into  things  I  might  be  able  to  get  my  church  involved  with.  I  have  no  idea  where  God  wants  to  take  me  with  this,  so  the  whole  thing  is  a  little  daunting.  Prayers  for  wisdom  and  guidance  would  be  very  appreciated.

I  also  want  to  do  more  for  Destiny  Rescue.  I  only  managed  to  raise  a  little  over  a  third  of  what  I  was  hoping  to  with  my  birthday  party,  so  this  year  I'm  looking  at  ways  to  raise  more  funds.  I'm  also  considering  becoming  an  advocate,  although,  that  won't  really  come  into  effect  until  next  year.  I'll  give  you  all  more  details  about  this  later.

So,  fundraising  has  come  up  a  few  times.  t  had  a  chance  to  work  out  what  my  target  is.  I  do  have  to  raise  funds  to  help  support  myself  through  Year  13,  especially  with  the  trip  to  Fiji  later  this  year  in  mind  (more  on  that  later).  I  also  want  to  raise  funds  and  awareness  for  Destiny  Rescue.  So,  I'll be  keeping  everyone  up  to  date  with  events  that  are  planned  for  this  purpose.  Also,  if  anyone  would  like  to  support  me  financially  by  making  a  donation,  I  would  very  much  appreciate  it.  But  that  is  all  a  discussion  for  later.
Thanks  for  reading  all  of  this.  Hopefully  more  regular  updates  will  prevent  them  from  being  this  long  in  the  future!

No comments:

Post a Comment