Friday 28 March 2014

He Answered Me in My Distress

It  was  another  one  of  those  nights.

Those  nights  when  I  just  can't  sleep  because  I'm  fighting  a  battle  in  my  own  mind.

It's  that  battle  between  tears  and  a  stiff  upper  lip.  Between  cold,  hard  strength  and  raw,  honest  vulnerability.  Between  insecurity  and  confidence.  Between  certainty  of  worthlessness  and  certainty  of  worthfulness.  Between  what  Satan  would  have  me  believe  and  the  truth.

The  argument  that  rages  back  and  forth.  The  tide  of  it  blown  by  temperamental  winds.

"You're  a  failure"  -  "In  Christ  I  am  a  victor."

"You're  worthless."  -  "In  God  I  have  value."

"You're  such  a  misfit,  who  could  ever  love  you?"  -  "God.  Please  check  Psalm  139."

"Failure,  worthless,  useless,  hideous,  unlovable.  Failure,  worthless,  useless,  hideous,  unlovable.  Failure,  worthless,  useless,  hideous,  unlovable.  Failure,  worthless,  useless,  hideous,  unlovable."

Round  and  round  it  went.

I  tossed  and  turned,  cried  and  stifled,  choked  and  prayed.

The  other  voice,  the  cold,  hard  voice  of  condemnation  was  winning.  It  had  been  all  day.

And  I  begged  God.  Pleaded  with  Him.  He  needed  to  win  more  often.  I  couldn't  fit  the  lies  on  my  own.

Because  knowing  they  are  lies  doesn't  change  the  fact  they've  been  drilled  into  me,  bored  into  my  heart,  imprinted  on  my  mind.

And  it  grew  in  my  mind.  One  thought  hat  soon  dominated  all  others.

Go,  read  your  Bible.

It  was  cold,  it  was  raining  (hard  too),  I  was  in  my  PJs.  I  snuggled  deeper,  rubbing tears  into  my  pillow  and  my  blanket.

"Help  me,  God,"  I  agonized.

Again,  that  thought,  that  impulse  to  read  my  Bible.  The  knowledge  that  only  the  words  it  contained  could  help me.

Finally,  I  got  up.  A  quarter  to  midnight.  Pinstriped  pants  and  hoodie  pulled  on  in  the  dark  over  my  PJs.  Feet  bare,  I  made  my  way  out  to  the  dark  wet.

10  past  I  finished  my  pie,  the  others  who  couldn't  sleep  drifted  off  to  bed.  I  went  upstairs. I  still  had  to  read  my  Bible.

I  sat,  no  idea  where  to  turn,  no  idea  what  to  read.  So  I  just  opened  Psalms.  Picked  up  where  I'd  left  off.

Psalm  109,  Psalm  110,  I  was  calming.

Then  Psalm  111.

And  I  was  struck,  convicted.

My  breathing  eased,  my  heart  soared,  my  soul  sang.

Praise  the  Lord!
 
I  will  thank  the  Lord  with  all  my  heart
as  I  meet  with  His  godly  people.
How  amazing  are  the  deeds  of  the  Lord!
All  who  delight  in  Him  should  ponder  them.
Everything  He  does  reveals  His  glory  and  majesty.
His  righteousness  never  fails. 
He  causes  us  to  remember  His  wonderful  works.
How  gracious  and  merciful  is  our  Lord! 
He  gives  food  to  those  who  fear  Him;
He  always  remembers  His  covenant. 
He  has  shown  His  great  power  to  His  people
by  giving  them  the  lands  of  other  nations.
All  He  does  is  just  and  good, 
and  all  His  commandments  are  trustworthy.
They  are  forever  true, 
to  be  obeyed  faithfully  and  with  integrity.
He  has  paid  a  full  ransom  for  His  people. 
He  has  guaranteed  His  covenant  with  them  forever.
What  a  holy,  awe-inspiring  name  He  has!
Fear  of  the  Lord  is  the  foundation  of  true  wisdom.
All  who  obey  His  commandments  grow  in  wisdom.
 
Praise  Him  forever!
 
I  read  it  once.  Twice.  Three  times.  I  read  it  and  was  reminded  of  a  quote  from  C.S. Lewis  I  had  seen  only  a  day  or  two  before:
 
I  know,  now,  Lord,  why  you  utter  no  answer.  You  are  yourself  the  answer.  Before  your  face  questions  die  away.  What  other  answer  could  suffice?
And  I  realized  it  was  so  true.

God  did  not  speak  to  me  and  say  "You  are  a  success  because  I  succeed  for  you."

He  did  not  say  "You  have  worth  because  I  died  for  you."

He  did  not  say  "You  have  use  because  I  chose  you."

He  did  not  say  "You  are  beautiful  because  I  made  you."

He  did  not  say  "You  are  lovable  because  I  love  you."

Instead,  He  gently  cupped  my  face  in  His  hand,  wiping  my  tears  away  with  the  other.  He  turned  my  face  to  His  and  whispered  "Look  at  me,  look  into  my  face.  Remember  who  I  am.  Just  remember  who  I  am."

I  looked  into  His  face,  I  caught  sight  of  His  heart  again.

And  all  my  questions  of  my  worth  and  my  value  simply  disappeared.  My  heart  remembered  them  no  longer.

Instead,  it  worshipped.  My  heart  worshipped,  my  head  worshipped.

I  read  the  psalm  again.  Two  more  times.

Because  God  is...  wondrous.

He  really,  truly  is.

And   I  think  the  paralytic  whose  friends  lowered  down  to  Jesus  must  have  felt  a  bit  like  I  did  that  night.  Seeking  a  solution  to  something  and  getting  more  than  I  bargained  for.

The  sight  of  the  face  of  God.  And  realizing  it  was  the  answer  to  all  my  problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment