Thursday 27 February 2014

A Year To Look Forward To

We  crowded  into  the  corner  of  the  lounge  room,  to  men  on  the  arms  of  chairs  the  centre  of  our  group.  They  sat  strumming  guitars  and  tapping  their  feet  as  our  voice  rose  in  song.  For  over  an  hour  we  sang,  song  of  worship  after  song  of  worship.

I  looked  around  and  knew  that  the  year  ahead  of  me  was  going  to  be  a  good  one.  And  a  hard  one.  And  a  journey.

That  was  last  Wednesday.

8  days  since  then.  And  I've  been  tired  and  energized,  happy  and  sad,  proud  and  broken,  revived  and  drained,  excited  and  what-on-earth-am-I-doing,  loved  and  lonely.

8  days.  Just  8  days.

8  days  of  studying  God.

8  days  of  loving  people.

8  days  of  hard  work  and  down  right  laziness.

Just  8  days.  With  a  lifetime  more  to  come.

And  life's  going  to  be  a  journey.

The  broken  ravioli,  splashed  pumpkin  and  burnt  tomato  sauce  of  Monday  night  -  yeah,  it's  not  going  to  change.  Cause  that's  life  -  a  mess.

The  knock  knee  fear  of new  people  -  that  may  never  change.

And  I'm  seeing  -  that  doesn't  matter.

My  knees  can  knock  till  I'm  white-haired  and  prune-wrinkled.  My  life  can  be  broken  ravioli  messy.

Because  here's  the  thing.  Here's  the  thing  I'm  learning  as  I  study  God.  My  Bible  open  on  my  desk,  my  pen  scratching  in  my  journal,  my  voice  singing  soft  in  the  morning  air,  new  friends  engaging  in  talk  about  ministry  and  God.  Here's  what  I  know:

It's  not about  my  fear.

It's  not  about  my  mess.

It's  about  God's  power.

It's  about  God's  order.

Cause  life's  messy  -  there's  no  denying  it.

And  it's  into  life's  mess  the  God  reaches  and  whispers  His  promise.

His  promise  of  peace  and  blessing.  His  promise  about  His  truth.

That  life's  truth  is  God's  glory,  God's  grace.

The  Grace  that  doesn't  just  erase  the  mess  -  it  turns  it  into  beauty.

The  Grace  that  doesn't  ignore  pain  -  it  works  through  pain.

The  Grace  that  doesn't  deny  need  -  it  Gifts  people  to  fill  the  need.

And  Joseph's  life  -  well,  you  probably  don't  get  too  much  messier  than  that.  Hated  by  those  who  should  have  loved  him,  sold  into  slavery,  locked  in  a  prison  and  forgotten.  Yet  through  him  the  people  of  Israel  were  saved.

What  other's  intend  for  evil,  God  intends  for  good.

What  the  Devil  intends  for  destruction,  God  intends  for  salvation.

And  we  are  here,  now,  not  for  the  future,  not  for  the  past,  but  for  the  now.  For  the  Grace  of  God  in  the  now.  His  Grace  for  us,  and  His  Grace  for  others.

And  this  year,  and  for  the  rest  of  my  life,  I'm  studying  this  God,  studying  this  Grace.

Studying  it,  and  falling  in  love  with  it. Falling  in  love  with  God.  Falling  in  love  with  His  people  and  His  lost  sheep.

And  in  42  (or  is  it  43)  days,  I'll  be  standing  in  Ireland,  drinking  in  the  beauty  of  God's  creation.  The  creeks,  the  green  hills,  the  grey  skies.

And  in  49  days  (or  is  it  50),  I'll  be  home  in  Jordan.  And  there  I  know  I'll  be  seeing  the  need.  I'll  be  seeing  the  brokenness.

And  in  112  days  I'll  be  back  in  Fiji.  Walking  the  shores  and  seeing  the  pain.  Seeing  the  need.

And  my  prayer  is  God  will  not  leave  me  untouched.

That  I  will  not  come  home  and  not  care.

That  even  now  I'll  be  making  changes.

Cause  money  can't  satisfy.  Possessions  can't  satisfy.  Academia  can't  satisfy.  Even  relationships   can't  satisfy.

Only  God.  Only  God's  Grace.

Only  seeing  all  the  ways  I  am  blessed.  Only  thanksgiving.  Only  praise.

Only  worship  of  El-Shaddai,  God  Almighty,  can  satisfy  the  weary  soul.  Because  only  He  can  give  life  and  grace.

Only  He can  redeem  the  slave.

Only  He  can  find  the  lost.

Only  He  can  heal  the  broken.

Only  He  can  comfort  the  mourning.

Only  He  can  bless  the  undeserving.

And  this  year,  this  year  it's  going  to  be  a  journey.  Will  you  join  me,  here,  on  this  journey?

Will  you  share,  as  best  you  can  through  my  words,  the  lessons  God  teaches  me?  The  pains?  The  joys?  My  life?

Will  you  pray  for  me,  my  friend?

Will  you  meet  me  here  to  listen  and  to  reflect  on  my  Year  13  journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment