Sunday 16 February 2014

Heavenly Father, I Cannot, but You Can (Part 3 of 4)

Hey  everyone,  sorry  for  the  delay.  Life  got  a  bit  busy  again,  not  that  that  is  any  excuse.  I  really  need  to  be  more  disciplined  in  my  posting.  Anyway,  I'm  just  going  to  launch  straight  into  this  part,  if  you  need  a  refresher,  the  links  are  at  the  bottom.

So,  the  third  factor  that  I  am  convinced  was  at  play  that  week  was:  Life  Lessons  101  with  God.

Yeah,  God  was  teaching  me,  working  to  bring  me  more  in  line  with  who  He  created  me  to  be.  More  in  line  with  Christ.

The  friend  I  was  speaking  to  about  all  this  essentially  said  that  sometimes  God  uses  our  feelings  of  uselessness  and  our  knowledge  of  our  own  failures  to  show  us  that  He  doesn't  need  us  for  His  work  to  be  done.  To  rephrase  slightly:  His  power  and  work  is  not  defined  by  or  limited  to  what  we  do  and  do  not  do  (forget  can  and  can  not  do  -  I  know  I  certainly  don't  often  do  what  I  can  do).  Nor  does  He need  us,  that  is,  me  to  do  His  work.;

If  that  offends  you,  I  don't  apologise. Honestly,  in  some  ways,  in  offends  my  sensibilities  too.  But  it's  true.

He  simply  does  not  need  us.

He  is  more  than  powerful  enough  to  do  His  work  without  us.

In  fact,  looking  at  the  church  as  a  whole  throughout  history  and  my  own  life,  I  would  even  say  that  the  majority  of  the  time,  what  do  is  more  of  a  hindrance  and  a  help.  God's  work  often  happens  in  spite  of  me,  and  us,  not  because  of  us.

If  one  of  you  readers  tries  to  tell  me  you've  never  put  your  foot  in  it  while  trying  to  represent  the  Kingdom  of  Heaven  and  emulate  Christ,  I  would  immediately  say  that  you're  either  deluded  and  need  to  re-evaluate  your  life,  or  you're  Christ  Himself.  My money,  of  course,  is  on  the  former.

So,  on  with  the  lesson I  was  being  taught.

This  makes  more  sense  in  the  context  of  my  frame  of  mind  before  beach  mission.

To  put  it  bluntly,  my  frame  of  mind  was  one  of  arrogance.  What  expression  my  arrogance  took  varied  depending  on  where  I  was,  who  I  was  with,  what  was  happening,  and  what  mood  I  was  in.

Sometimes,  my  arrogance  predicted  that  nothing  would  happen  at  all  on  beach  mission.  That  the  whole  venture  would  be  a  "show  that  flopped".

I  could  (and  I  will,  despite  the  way  my  insides  squirm)  phrase  it  this  way:  my  arrogance  sometimes  led  me  to  predict  that  God  would  fail  us  on  beach  mission.

Is  anyone  else's  heresy  bells  ringing  like  crazy?  Mine  certainly  are.  God  fail  us?

Phrased  like  that,  only  2  words  come  to  mind:  the  cross.

So  easy  in  retrospect.  But,  embarrassingly,  that  is  the  truth  of  one  of  the  ways  my  arrogance  was  expressed.  And,  most  shamefully,  will  be  expressed  in  the  future.

The  second  expression  of  this  arrogance  was  my  daydreams  of  me  somehow  managing  to  stride  above  everyone  else  as  I  dazzled  everyone  I  met  with  the  grace,  poise  and  God-centredness  of  my  life.  How  could  people  not  want  to  know  this  God  who  gave  me  such  grace  and  strength?

Yeah...  that's  ridiculous  (and  yes,  I  did  just  gag  with  disgust  at  myself).  Have  you  ever  met  me?  Grace  and  poise?  More  like  tongue-tied  klutz.

But,  far  more  glaringly,  is  the  fact  that  really,  it  was  all  about  me.

Sure,  my  intention  was  to  point  people  to  Christ,  but  the  reality  would  have  been,  and  is,  self-glorifying.  And  the  dream?  Well,  it  was  all  focued  on  me  and  how  I  would  be  used  to  advance  HIs  Kingdom.

No  one  gets  much  more  arrogant  than  that.

The  words  of  Paul  drift  across  my  mind:  "sinners,  of  whom  I  am the  worst."  Which,  you  know,  is  why  I  am  so  grateful  for  grace.

During  the  week  of  beach  mission,  God  deftly  took  my  sin  and  the  attacks  of  the  Devil  (ok...  He  probably  didn't  take  them,  He allowed  them  for  this  purpose)  and  taught  me  this:  He  does  not  need  me.

He  just  does  not  need  me.

Neither  of  the  visions  I  had  regarding  beach  mission  happened.

He  showed  me,  through  my  own failure  and  uselessness  that  His  work,  power  and  grace  would  astound  minds  and  transform  lives,  and  that  I  was  not  needed  for  that  to  happen.

He  showed  me  that  it  was  only  by  His  grace  that  I  had  any  part  to  play  at  all.  Any  lives  and  hearts  that  I  touched  weren't  because  of  any  gifting  I  had,  or  any  design  of  my  own,  but  because  God  graciously  decided  to  include  my  floundering  attempts  in  His  plan  for  someone's  life.

And,  I  know,  my  arrogance  is  going  to  resurface.  As  will  my  selfishness,  my  comparisons  between  myself  and  others,  and  my  coveting.  It's  all  going  to  come  back.  It's  going  to  taunt  me  my  whole  life  long.

But  here's  the  thing,  I  also  know  that  as  far  as  God  is  concerned,  that  part  of  me,  my  sinful  nature,  is  dead.  He  sees  only  His  purified  daughter.  And,  for  as  long  as  I  stuff  up  (AKA  my  entire  life),  God  will  work  to  touch  people,  not  through  my  strengths,  not  even  my  weaknesses,  but  His  grace  acting  in  my  life  -  even  when  I  can't  see  it.

I  am  not  needed,  but  I  am  allowed  to  play  a  part.  Because  God  is  good  and  gracious  and  glorious.

Now,  you  have  my  promise  that  tomorrow,  I  will  post  the  last  part  of  this  tomorrow.

In  the  meantime,  here  are  the  other  parts:

Heavenly Father, I cannot, but You Can (part 1 of 4)
Heavenly Father, I Cannot, but You Can (part 2 of 4)
Heavenly Father, I Cannot, but You Can (part 4 of 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment