Monday 17 February 2014

Heavenly Father, I Cannot, but You Can (part 4 of 4)

And  so,  for  the  conclusion  of  this  not-quite-epic  series  reflecting  back  on  beach  mission.  This  will  be  a little  bit  lighter  than  the  last  3  have  been,  with  some  anecdotes  and  much  more  general  reflections.

To  begin  with,  I  know  I  was  extremely  blessed  by  the  team.  They  were  all  so  supportive  and  encouraging  of  everyone.  Those  who  came  to  hug  me,  encourage  me,  pray  with  me,  advise  me  or  simply  chat  with  me  touched  me  more  deeply  than  they  could  ever  know.  I  thank  my  God  and  Father  for  them,  because  I  have  no  one  else  like  them.  No  one  at  all.

I  want  each  and  every  one  of  them  to  know  how  special  they  are  each  and  every  day  of  their  lives  and  pray  that  they  run  the  race  before  us  with perseverance,  shedding  everything  that  weighs  them  down  and  trusting  only  in  God.

I  was  so  blessed  in  the  form  of  my  visitation  partner.  His  constant  concern,  encouragement,  willingness  to  listen,  chat  (both  generally  and  deeply),  or  advise  was  a  continual  source  of  strength  and  reassurance  for  me,  and  am  very  grateful  that  he  was  willing  to  let  God  work  through  him  in  that  way.  I  pray  that  it is  a  friendship  we  can  maintain  even  when  we're  not  on  mission.

The  leaders  of  the  mission  were  also  a  source  of  deep  joy,  strength  and  encouragement  for  me.  I  think  particularly  of  my  high  school  chaplain  and  his  wife,  as  well  as  our  two  directors.  All  four  were,  and  are,  excellent  models  of  servant  leadership.  I  particularly  praise  God  for  our  female  director  who  came  on  mission  very  heavily  pregnant.  My  dear,  I  hope  you're  reading  these  words,  and  I  hope  they  are  of  some  encouragement  as  you  step  into  your  new  role  as  mother:  I  know  you  often  felt  frustrated  at  what  you  couldn't  do,  but  you  were  doing  so  much  just  by  being  there.  That  you  were  willing  to  come,  despite  the  discomfort,  even  pain,  and  were  willing  to  talk  with  us,  help  us  out  and  love  is  in  everyway  you  could,  speaks  volumes  about  the  woman  you  are  in  God.  Thank you  for  your  honesty  with  me  when  I  was  down  and  for  all  your  smiles  and  laughs  and  general  good  cheer.  It  spoke  to  my  heart  about  God  and  love  in  a  way  I  have  no  words  for.

To  the  rest  of  you:  thank  you  so  much.  I  truly  mean  that.

I  will  treasure  the  memories  of  watching  Love  in  a  tent  late  into  the  night;  of  brushing  the  hair  of  some  of  the  gorgeous  young  women  who  were  down  there  on  our  last  night;  of  spending  New  Years  Eve  in  warm  companionship  with  some  of  the  older  women;  of  watching  the  children  play  games  with  the  older  ones;  of  watching  our  littlest  one's  face  light  up  when  he  was  presented  with  a  huge  drawing  of  Superman  and  Batman  to  colour  in;  of  sitting  on  the  sand  listening  to  people  more  musical  than  I  play  the  guitar  and  sing  while  watching  others  surf;  of  running  into  the  water  and  spinning  so  fast  I  nearly  fell,  laughing  because  I  felt  safe;  of  watching  the  guys  challenge  each  other  to  fit  through  a  thin  gap  between  two  bars  (and  succeeding);  of  laughter,  tears,  tea  (lots  of  it  too)  and  food;  but  most  of  all  the  memories  of  us  singing  praise  to  God  together in  the  mornings  before  the  start  of  each  day.

I  know  that,  like  me,  the  mission  was  difficult  for  many  of  my  team  members.  I  know  I'm  not  the  only  one  who  cried.  But  I  suspect  that,  like  me,  no  one  would  trade  the  time  on  mission  for  anything  else.  Anything  at  all.

Because  the  challenges,  the  difficulties,  the  heart-wrenching  moments,  was  what  made  it  special  -  because  that  was  when  we  saw  God  working  most  clearly.

And  reflecting  back,  I  think  that  I  won't  change  to  the  cooking  team,  as  I  very  seriously  considered  doing.  I  don't  think  that's  where  God  wants  me.

I  think  He  wants  me  right  where  I  am,  working  with  the  children,  interacting  with  the  campers.  Because,  even  though  I  felt  I  was  drowning,  God's  grace  kept  me  afloat  and  going.

And  I  know  God  wants  me  to  be  right  at the  centre  of  His  grace.

Finally,  beach  mission  reminded  me  of  something  very,  very  important:

I  cannot.

But  God  can.

I  am  incapable,  unworthy  and  powerless.

But  God  is  capable,  worthy  and  powerful.

I  cannot.

God  can.

And  He  empowers  me  to  keep  living  my  life  day  by  day  in  service  to  Him.

And  that,  my  friends,  is  what  I  call  grace.  Sweet  grace.  Amazing  Grace.



For  the  other  parts  of  this  series,  see  below:
Heavenly Father, I Cannot, but You Can (part 1 of 4)
Heavenly Father, I Cannot, but You Can (part 2 of 4)
Heavenly Father, I Cannot, but You Can (part 3 of 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment