Friday 28 February 2014

Slowly Starving Soul

I  got  a  letter  in  my  box  today.  In  it  was  a  magazine  and  a  prayer  guide.  The  pages  were  filled  with  stories  of  people  beaten,  outcast,  slandered,  for  no  reason  other  than  they  refused  to  keep  the  truth  hidden.

And  in  my  inbox,  my  electronic  mailbox,  I  got  an  email.  With  information  about  being  an  advocate  for  Destiny  Rescue.  And  there  was  the  question.  The  burning,  slamming  question.

What  can  I  do?

And  my  heart,  my  heart  says  "give".

But  my  head,  well,  my  head  says  "You'll  burn  out.  You  don't  have  the  money.  You  don't  have  the  time.  Oh  come  on,  some  one  else  can  do  it.  You  can  join  later.  Join  next  year."

And  I'm  good  at  that.  I'm  good  at  not  giving.  Good  at  stalling.  Good  at  saying  I'll  make  a  decision  and  then  never  making  it.

Good  at  stuffing  myself  with  stuff  and  nonsense,  while  all  my  neighbours  are  starving.

Cause  my  neighbours  are  more  than  just  across  the  road  or  in  the  house  next  door.

And  the  way  I  see  it,  there  are  three  kinds  of  people  in  this  world.  The  people  whose  bodies  are  starving;  the  people  whose  souls  are  starving;  and  the  people  who  live  life  content  because  they,  like  Paul,  know  the  secret  of  contentment.

It  says  it  there,  bold  and  true,  impossible  to  miss.  Philippians  4:  11 - 13.

 Not  that  I  was  ever  in  need,  for  I  have  learnt  the  secret  to  be  content  with  whatever  I  have.  I  know  how  to  live  on  almost  nothing  or  with  everything.  I  have  learnt  the  secret  of  living  in  every  situation,  whether  it  is  with  a  full  stomach  or  empty,  with  plenty  or  little.  For  I  can  do  everything  through  Christ  who  gives  me  strength.
And  yeah.  There's  the  secret.

Those  people  who  live  truly  content?  Those  people  who  live  satisfied?  They  live  content,  they  live  satisfied  because  they  feed  their  souls  on  Christ.

They  take  communion  daily  -  spiritual  communion.

They  eat  of  the  Bread  of  Life  -  they  know  it  was  broken  for  them  and  accept  it  eagerly.

They  drink  of  God's  Wine  -  they  know  it  was  shed  for  them.

But  they  don't  just  eat  and  drink.  They  take  it.  They  share  it.

For  them,  living  is  truly  Christ.

Life  is  day  after  day  of  choosing  Christ.  Of  putting  one  foot  in  front  of  the  other,  planted  firmly  in  the  knowledge  of  who  God  is.

And  I  look  at  my  life  and  I  know:

I'm  not  living  that.

I'm  gorging  myself  on  things.  I'm  growing  fat  and  my  muscle  is  broken  down.

And  I'm  starving.

Starving  to  live  life.  Starving  to  love.  Starving  to  worship  God  with  everything.

Because  being  comfortable  isn't  living.  It  isn't  loving.  It  isn't  worshipping.  It's  staying.  Staying  still  until  one  day  you  find  you're  stuck.  Stuck  in  mud  and  with  no  way  of  escaping.

And  still  that  question  burns.  What  can  I  do?

What  can  I  do?

It  isn't  a  question  that  allows  for  a  future  answer.

Just  planning  to  work  with  the  abused  in  the  future  doesn't  change  anything  now.  Just  like  planning  to  teach  a  man  cook  isn't  going  to  put  a  meal  on  the  table  tonight.

What  can  I  do?

And,  invariably,  God  answers:  what  have  you  got?

So,  so  much.

But  I  don't  know  what  to  do  with  it.

Here  is  what  I  do  know  I  want  to  do:
  • to  study  God
  • spend  a  day  at  a  refugee  camp  when  I'm  in  Jordan.
  • visit  with  the  orphans,  the  prisoners,  the  heart  broken  when  I'm  in  Fiji.
  • fundraise  for  Destiny  Rescue  this  year  -  perhaps  raise  enough  to  rescue  2  children?
  • Go  on  a  short  term  trip  with  Destiny  Rescue  next  year  -  and  if  I  have  to  fundraise  for  that,  I  will!
  • be  an  advocate  for  Destiny  Rescue,  starting  next  year.
  • be  a  regular  supporter  of  Destiny  Rescue  (a  sponsor  would  be  best  -  $45  a  month,  but  a  partner  will  work  -  $26  a  month).
Because,  what  if,  what  if  the  only  way  I  can  truly  live  is  live  with  God?  To  live  on  God?    To  live  in  God?

What  if  living  means  loving?

Loving  God.

Worshipping  God.

Hearing  Jesus  say,  with  every  broken  child  I  see,  'let  the  children  come  to  me'.

Seeing  Jesus  in  every  hungry,  hurt  face.

Seeing  God  in  everything,  because  nothing  has  not  been  touched  by  Him.

And  then  responding.

Responding  to  the  call  Christ.  Working  to  let  the  children  come  to  Him.

Responding  to  the  heartbeat  of  God's  love,  by  moving  to  it's  rhythm.  Passing  it  on,  and  on.

Letting  God's  love  fill  me  to  overflowing,  so  that  it  flows  over  into  the  hungry,  thirsty  hearts  around  me.

What  if  living  life  means  loving  with  abandon?

And  contentment  comes  not  through  sermons  and  games  and  soft  beds,  but  living  life  with  the  daily  awareness  of  my  need  for  God  and  God's  presence  in  my  life?  Even  if  it  means  living  with  little.

Because  something  living  with  little  is  living  with  more.  And  living  with  much  means  living  with  less.

And  what's  the  point  of  having  a  well-fed  body  if  your  soul  is  starved?

Your  body  will  die  not  matter  how  well  fed  it  is,  but  the  fate  of  your  soul  depends  on  how  well-fed  it  is.

And  will  we  feed  our  souls  on  the  Body  and  Blood  of  Christ  knowing  that  it  was  broken  and  shed  in  order  that  our  souls  may  be  fed  on  what  really  matters  -  the  Love  and  Grace  of  God?

Will  we  study  our  God  with  the  love  and  perseverance  of  a  boy  studying  the  girl  he  has  a  crush  on?

And  will  we  then  respond  to  what  we  learn?

Because  knowing  isn't  enough.  Just  knowing  leaves  you  bloated.

But  knowing  and  responding...  now  that  is  food  for  the  soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment