Sunday 7 July 2013

"Do you love me?"

2000  years  ago,  Jesus  stood  on  the  shores  of  a  lake  and  looked  his  disciple  in  the  eye,  the  disciple  who  had  declared  love  and  then  abandoned.  The  rock  who  had  crumbled  before  a  girl.

Jesus  looked  this  man,  his  friend,  in  the  eye  and  asked  "Do  you  love  me?"

Behind  him,  another  disciple  heard  the  words  and  wrote  them  down.  He  wrote  them  down  so  that  in  the  future  people  like  me  would  read  them  and  hear  God  whisper  the  same  question:

"Do  you  love  me?"

And  today  in  church,  when  the  preacher  looks  from  the  pulpit  and  asks  "Do  you love  Him?"

My  heart  immediately  proclaims  "of  course  I  do!"

But  then  my  mind  asks  "so  why  don't  you  show  it?"

And  my  throat  feels  dry,  because  it's  one  thing  to  claim  to  love,  and  a  completely  different  thing  to  Love.

Because  Love  is  an  action,  and  when  was  the  last  time  my  actions  were  dedicated  to  demonstrating  a  deep  Love  for  my  Father?  The  Love  that  Jesus  asks  from  Simon  Peter.

And  the  answer  scares  me:  quite  a  while.

When  was  the  last  time  I  served?  Church  last  week,  maybe.  I  haven't  gone  out  of  my  way  to  serve  others  since  then.  Service  hasn't  been  at  the front  of  my  mind.

When  was  the  last  time  I  spent  any  quality  time  with  God?  Too  long,  my  fatiguing  body  tells  me.  An  impossibly  long  time  ago.

When  was  the  last  time  I  praised  God?  My  mind  draws  a  blank.

When  was  the  last  time  I  reached  out  to  touch  Him  throw  His  Creation  and  His  Word?  I  don't  even  remember  the  last  time  I  did  that.

When  was  the  last  time  I  gave  to  God,  willingly,  with  abandon?  Maybe  a  fortnight  ago.

And  my  heart  starts  sinking  as  I  realize  that  I  have  not  been  living  the  Love  I  harbor  for  my  Father.  And  is  love  hidden  and  Love  Real?

"Do  you  love  Him?"

The  question  comes  again,  and  I  whisper  "yes"  because  I  do,  my  heart  is  His...  I  just  haven't  loved  well.

How  can  a  mere  mortal  such  as  myself  Love  an  Immortal  such  as  Him?

"Do  you  love  Him?"

And  Peter  answers  for  me  "Lord,  You  know  I  do."

But  how...  how?

"Feed  my  lambs,"  Jesus  replies.

"Tend  my  sheep."

"Be  a  shepherd  to  my  flock.  Follow  me.  Follow  my  Footsteps.  Follow  my  Plan.  Follow  my  Love."

Because  Believing  in  Him  and  His  existence  doesn't  cut  it  -  even  the  demons  do  that.

Loving  Him  in  my  heart  brings  my  closer,  but  doesn't  reach  far  enough  -  not  all  who  love  Him  know  Him.

Rather,  my  belief  in  Him  should  lead  to  a  love  of  Him,  and  that  Love  should  lead  to  an  act:  the  act  of  Following  Him  with  devotion,  and  loving  His  sheep,  both  the  found  and  the  still  lost.

Do  I  Love  Him?

Yes,  I  think  I  do.

Will  I  act  that  Love?

God  willing,  His  Love  will  take  over  my  Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment