Friday 26 July 2013

Walking on Water

"I'm  terrified,"  I  think  to  myself,  as  I  step  into  the  foyer  of  the  school's  old  reception,  smiling  tightly  at  the  young  man  who  opened  the  door  for  me  and  whispering  a  thank  you.

My  stomach  knots  further  as  our  teacher  walks  out  to  get  him  and  give  me  the  pictures  I  get  to  choose  from.

"I'm  scared."  I  think,  panic  building.  "What  if  I  speak  Arabic  instead  of  French?  What  if  I  just  can't  say  anything?  What  if?  What  if?"  The  questions  race  through  my  mind  as  I  pick  up  my  pen  and  begin  to  write  my  notes.  Time  to  empty  my  mind,  time  to  forget  my  fears...

And  why  are  they  so  much  harder  to  forget  than  the  lesson  I  learnt  just  last  night.  Why  are  the  fears  and  worries  harder  to  forget  than  the  Truth  I  was  pierced  with  less  than  twelve  hours  before?

I  was  making  excuses.  I  was  trying  to  justify  my  fears.  And  unbidden,  the  thought  rose  to  mind  "I'm  not  trusting  God  enough."

I  had  shaken  my  head,  trying  to  deny  that  that  was  it,  trying  to  deny  that  I  wasn't  trusting  God  enough...  my  workload  was  just  too  big...  right?

But  again  that  thought  came  to  mind,  unbidden,  unwanted,  uncomfortable.

It  grabbed  me  and  it  shook  me  and  it  took  me.

It  took  me  to  that  lake  in  the  Middle  East,  the  beautiful  Lake  Galilee.  But  this  was  not  the  lake  of  my  childhood  memories.  It  was  not  the  lake  I  watched  as  I  ate  food  in  a  car  to  protect  us  from  the  flies.

It  was  the  lake  in  first  century  Israel.

It  took  me  to  that  night  when  Peter  recklessly  leaps  out  of  the  safety  of  his  fishing  boat,  determined  to  walk  over  the  waves  to  His  Master  and  Teacher.  I  watched  him  lose  focus  and  begin  to  sink.  I  watch  Our  Lord  walk  over  and  haul  him  up,  setting  him  upright  again.

The  lack  of  faith.

"O  Peter,"  I  chuckle,  "Can  you  not  follow  through  on  your  faith?"

And  then  thought  again,  that  hateful,  unbidden  thought  returns  to  mind.  And  I  know  that  the  Lord  has  turned  to  look  at  me.

Then  I  realize,  than  I  see  the  Truth  in  that  Sunday  school  story  I  know  so  well.

Peter  may  have  tried  to  enact  his  faith,  and  failed,  by  literally  walking  over  the  rough  waters  of  Lake  Galilee...  but  who  am  I  to  judge  him  for  that?

Because  in  my  life,  I  too  walk  on  water.

Or  I  try  to.



My  waves  are  exams  and  my  assignments  and  the  opinions  of  my  friends  and  teachers  and  the  work  that's  piling  up.

And  my  eyes  have  drifted  from  the  One  who  holds  me  upright.

And  the  fear,  the  worry....  it  is  choking  me  and  drowning  me  just  as  much  as  the  water  choked  and  drowned  Peter  that  night  millennia  ago.

My  faith...  my  faith  is  not  enough.

I  should  not  be  "keeping  my  head  above  water...  so,  you  know..."

I  should  be  walking  over  it,  striding,  running  even,  eyes  fixed  on  Jesus,  Worship  and  Joy  filling  me  and  lifting  me.

I  should  not  be  surviving.  I  should  be  Living.

That's  not  say  my  waves  won't  still  be  there,  tossing  and  turning,  reaching  to  choke  and  drown  me...  but  my  eyes  should  not  consider  them,  my  heart  should  not  dwell  on  them.  I  simply  need  to  soak  in  the  Glory  of  God  and  let  Him  guide  me  over  them.

Because  Life  is  an  ocean.

And  I  can  either  drown  in  it...

Or  I  can  walk  on  it,  not  moving  my  eyes  away  from  Christ.

But  there  is  a  Promise,  a  Promise  that  gives  me  Courage  and  lifts  me  up:  though  I  drown  as  Peter  did,  the  Lord,  my  Father,  my  Teacher,  my  King,  will  grab  my  hand  and  raise  me  up  again.



It's  time  for  me  to  stop  drowning  and  start  Walking  on  Water.

No comments:

Post a Comment