Wednesday 31 July 2013

The Truth About Home (Part 2: Family)

We  were  talking  about  the  Hunger  Games,  my  friends  and  I.  We  were  speculating.  If  our  year  had  a  Hunger  Games,  who  would  win.

I  laughed  and  shook my  head,  and  said  I  was  sure  I  wouldn't,  because  I  don't  ever  want  to  kill.

A  friend  laughed,  and  said  if  it  was  life  or  death,  I'd  probably  kill.  I  frowned,  not  convinced.  He  then  said  if  he  threatened  my  family...  and  I  grew  very  quiet.

Another  friend  shook  his  head  "I  think  you've  found  the  one  thing  she'd  consider  killing  for  - her  family."

And  whilst  I  hate  the  thought  of  murder,  I'll  tell  you  right  now,  he  was,  in  a  way,  right.  My  family  is  the  second  most  important  thing  in  the  world  to  me  -  the  first  being  God.

And  that's  another  thing  I've  observed  MKs  have,  an  truth  we  see  that  others  miss:

The  Value  of  Family.

The  Truth  of  Family.

And  I  know  my  sisters  and  I  tease  each  other.  But  we  also  laugh  together.  We  get  excited  over  dresses  and  formals  together.  We  play  cards  games  for  hours  on  end.  We  spend  time  together.  We  respect  each  others'  talents  and  encourage  each  other  in  them.  Just  yesterday,  at  our  athletics  carnival,  the  three  of  us  sat  together  and  played  cards  with  some  of  our  friends,  the  three  of  us  on  the  hill,  chatting  and  conspiring.  We  make  sure  the  other  is  doing  Ok.  We  go  out  of  our way  to  buy  little  gifts  for  each  other.  They  are  easily  my  dearest  friends.

And  we  simply  can  not  understand  those  siblings  who  bully  each  other  and  put  each  other  down  and  complain  endlessly  about  each  other.

Because,  we  have  been  the  only  constant  that  we  have  had.

Between  us,  we've  attended  6  different  schools  for  varying  lengths  of  time.  We've  lived  in  three  different  countries.  We've  attended  more  churches  than  we  can  remember.  Our  friends  have  moved  countries,  schools,  churches.  And  in  all  of  it,  we've  still  had  each  other.

And  we're  not  the  only  ones.  We  have  friends  who  live  in  different  countries  from  their  own  siblings.  We  see  their  excitement  whenever  they  see  their  siblings.  We  see  the  care  they  have  for  each  other.  The  way  they  highly  value  each  other  and  aren't  afraid  to  show  it.  The  way  they  go  out  of  their  way  to  find  out  how  the  other  is  doing.  The  way  they  encourage  and  build  up  each  other.

I'll  be  honest,  I  don't  see  it  to  anywhere  near  the  same  extent  in  families  that  have  had  steady  lives.

And  I  think  it's  because  we  know  that  our  family  is  the  most  valuable  thing  we  have  been  given.

We  know  that  blood  is  thicker  than  water,  so  the  oceans  can't  really  separate  us,  but  why  waste  time  together  because  who  knows  how  long  that  will  last?

We  know  that  sister  knows  sister,  brother  knows  brother,  sister  knows  brother,  brother  knows  sister,  in  a  way  no  one  else  ever  will.

We  know  that  our  stories  are  shared.  That  we  are  threads  that  are  woven  tightly  together.  Our  lives  are  shaped  crucially  by  each  other.

We  know  the  Pain  of  Separation,  so  we  understand  the  Value  of  Being  Together.

In  my  sisters,  I  see  a  clear  demonstration  of  God's  love:

He  gave  me  wise  and  beautiful  girls,  girls  who  will  soon  be  women,  with  whom  to  share  my  Story.  With  whom  to  share  my  Joys  and  my  Tears.  My  Passions  and  my  Pains.  My  Hopes  and  my  Fears.  My  Clothes  and  my  Food.

My  sisters  are  God's  way  of  showing  I  will  never  be  alone.

For  though  we  will  move  away,  we  will  not  move  apart.  And  though  some  will  pass  on  before  the  others,  we  will  never  say  good  bye.  And  whilst  we'll  make  home  in  different  places,  we'll  always  be  home  to  each  other.

Because  we  are  sisters  in  more  than  simply  genetics:  we  are  Sisters  of  the  Heart,  and  Sisters  in  Christ's  blood.

Our  Father  builds  a  home  for  us,  and  leads  us  to  the  future.  And  our  Brother  walks  beside  us,  drawing  us  together.

No comments:

Post a Comment