Sunday 21 July 2013

"We don't know why you did what you did, but we forgive you."

I'm  driving  down  the  motorway,  lights  are  flashing  past  me  in  the  dark.  My  mind  is  beginning  to  shut  down  and  I  am  very  grateful  that  when  I  get  home  this  time,  I  won't  be  leaving  again  today.

Hope 1032  is  playing  in  the  background.  I  reach  out  a  hand  to  turn  up  the  volume,  thinking  it  will  keep  me  from  getting  too  dozy  over  the  next  twenty  minutes.

" 'We  don't  know  why  you  did  what  you  did,  but  we  forgive  you.'  Wow,  and  he  certainly  had  a  lot  to  forgive.  His  wife  had  been  shot..."

And  suddenly,  I'm  wide  awake.

The  words  pierced  through  my  mind,  and  I  won't  to  know  everything  about  this.

This  radical,  incredible  Forgiveness.

And  whilst  my  mind  keeps  wandering  and  my  focus  shifts,  darting  over  everything  I  have  been  hearing  about  forgiveness  recently,  certain  words,  certain  phrases  stick  with  me.

"it's  the  Christian  instinct..."

The  instinct  to  forgive...

And  the  words  are  radical.  They  are  startling  and  breath-taking...  and  they  are  true.

I  know  that  Instinct  for  myself.  The  Instinct  to  forgive  and  love  the  girl  who  took  everything  I  was  from  me  and  turned  it  into  trash.  The  Instinct  that  never  let  me  hate  the  girl  who  hated  me.  The  Instinct  that  meant  I  defended  her  when  she  was  wrongly  accused,  though  everyone  else  would  have  supported  me  had  I  chosen  to  remain  silent.  The  Instinct  that  means  I  call  her  friend,  even  as  I'm  talking  about  the  way  she  tore  me  to  shreds.

And  I  remember  Undaunted  and  watching  Josh  McDowell  turn  to  the  father  he  has  tried  to  murder,  has  hated  for  a  life  time,  and  say,  with  all  honesty,  "Dad,  I  love  you".  And  seeing  him  struggle  with  to  forgive  the  man  who  sexually  abused  him  over  and  over  again  as  a  child,  only  to  go,  six  months  later  and  stand  before  him  and  say  "what  you  did  was  evil...  but  I  want  you  to  know  that  Jesus  died as  much  for  you  as  he  did  for  me".

And  the  story  -  a  fiction,  but  powerful  -  of  the  Christian  mauled  by  lions  who  returned  to  the  woman  who  sentenced  her  and  nursed  her  and  loved  her  and  forgave  her  until  the  day  the  woman  died.

And  I  know  it's  true.  The  Christian  Instinct  is  the  Instinct  to  Forgive.

And  that  Instinct,  it  doesn't  come  from  us.

It  comes  from  the  One  who  loved  so  much  that  He  prayed  "Father,  forgive  them..."  even  as  they  drove  nails  through  His  hands.

It  comes  from  the  One  who  stands  at  the  door  of  our  Hearts  and  whispers  "Let  me  forgive  you."

It  comes  from  the  One  so  merciful  and  so  forgiving  that  He  came  down  to  die  for  people  who  had  mocked  Him,  scorned  Him,  insulted  Him,  abandoned  Him.

And  that's  the  forgiveness  that  knocks  people  sidewise.  It's  the  forgiveness  that  has  the  world  torn  between  denouncing  us  as  fools  and  longing  to  know  what  it  is  that  makes  us  so  different.

Forgiveness  is  loving  without  limits.

Forgiveness  is  not  condoning  a  wrong.  Forgiveness  is  not  holding  a  wrong  against  someone.

And  as  I  continue  listening  to  this  man,  this  man  with  the  crazy,  radical  declaration  of  forgiveness  speak  about  the  Truth  and  Reconciliation  Trials,  I  think  about  the  world  around  me  and  my  heart  begins  to  break.

Because  I  don't  see  that  Instinct  to  forgive  around  me.

I  know  it's  there  -  I  have  caught  glimpses  of  it.  Sometimes  it  comes  out  in  all  it's  glory  and  I'm  knocked  sidewise.

But  so  often...  so  often  I  see  that  Instinct  restricted  and  held  back.  It  may  be  there,  but  it  isn't  communicated.  Or  I  see  my  brothers  and  sisters  holding  onto  bitterness  and  anger.

And  my  heart  breaks  because  Forgiveness  is  what  sets  us  all  free.  And  if  we  have  Freedom,  why  do  we  not  free  others?
And  as  I'm  thinking  about  all  those  around  me,  the  gentle  reminder  comes  "Don't  worry  about  the  speck  in  their  eyes,  while  you  have a  log  in  your  own."

And  that  pulls  me  up  and  I  wonder,  am  I  truly  letting  that  Instinct  to  Forgive  rule  my  life?  Am  I  Forgiving  as  I  have  been  Forgiven?  Am  I  loving  without  limits?  Or  are  their  people  against  whom  I  still  hold  bitterness  and  anger?

And  the  answer  makes  my  stomach  knot  and  panic  to  rise.

Because  there  are.  I  can  think  of  at  least  one  person  I  haven't  yet  been  able  to  forgive...  someone  who  I  really  should.

And  I  sit  at  my  computer  back  home,  warring  with  myself.  Finally  I  send  off  a  message  "Hi".  There  is  no  response.

At  first  there  is  a  sense  of  relief.  And  then  that  goes.  Because  I'm  not  off  the  hook  yet,  but  I  would  very  much  like  to  be.

And  it  is  so  hard  to  let  the  Instinct  take  over  me,  and  yet  it's  there.  Persistently  knocking  away  at  my  heart  as  my  Daddy  asks  me  to  let  Him  in  to  this  area.  To  let  Him  clean  me  out.  To  let  Him  remind  me  what  Limitless  Love  really  looks  like.  And  to  let  Him  teach  me  how  to  Live  it  out.

And  I  need  to.  I  need  to  go  back  to  my  knees  and  let  Him  do  His  work,  because  I  am  so  horribly  flawed.

No comments:

Post a Comment