Friday 5 July 2013

The Most Precious of Gifts

Our  life  is  a  gift  from  God,  what  we  do  with  our  life  is  our  gift  to  God.

So  reads  the  signature  line  of  my  emails.  I  don't  know  who  said  it,  no  one  does,  but  it  strikes  at  my  heart  with  the  truth  of  it.

Life  is  a  Gift...  a  Miracle...

Anyone  who  has  a  basic  understanding  of  genetics  should  see  how  strange,  bizarre  and  impossible  life  really  is.

The  complicated  processes  of  forming  the  sex  cells.  Breathtakingly  low  odds  of  conception.  The  thousands  of  complications  that  may  arise  in  the  9  months  the  child  is  living  inside  the  mother.

My  biology  teacher,  a  former  microbiologist,  once  said  that  the  odds  are  such  that  not  being  able  to  carry  a  child  should  be  the  norm,  not  the  other  way  round.

And  after  birth,  the  wonder  of  the  body  developing  properly,  the  survival  against  all  the  bacteria  and  viruses  this  world  throws  at  the  body,  not  to  mention  the  millions  of  other  ways  a  child,  or  an  adult,  can  die.

Life  is  a  Gift.

Last  night,  I  read  Francine  Rivers  wonderful  book  The  Atonement  Child.  The  story  struck  to  my  core  because  it's  one  I've  often  thought  about  and  wondered  what  I  would  do  in  that  situation.

Here's  the  story  in  a  nutshell:  a  Christian  college  student  (Dynah)'s  life  is  going  well.  She's  loved  by  her  family,  attending  one  of  the  dream  college,  engaged  to  the  dream  guy,  works  at  a  great  place.  Basically,  everything  is  perfect.  That  is,  until  about  a  chapter  in.  When  she  gets  raped.

Left  reeling  from  the  shock,  horror,  guilt  and  shame  of  it  all,  Dynah  struggles  to  pick  up  the  pieces.  The  few  people  who  are  close  to  her  help  her  to  hide  it,  thinking  to  spare  her  the  embarrassment of  announcing  the  truth  to  people.  But  her  fiancé  is  pulling  away.  He  sees  are  as  defiled  and  is  struggling  to  see  past  it.  The  months  slip  away,  and  things  are  beginning  to  look  up,  when  Dynah  realizes  she  hasn't  had  a  single  period  since  the  rape  -  she's  pregnant.

Her  fiancé  demands  she  gets  an  abortion,  her  school  "asks  her  to  leave"  more  concerned  about  the  fiancé's  prospects.  Her  father  insists  she  gets  an  abortion.  And  Dynah...  Dynah  is  left  wondering  what  to  do,  where  to  go  and  trying  to  work  out  just  what  God  is  doing  to  her  with  everything.

Now,  I  won't  spoil  the  ending  (if  you  want  to  find  out,  go  read  the  book  -  trust  me,  it's  worth  it!),  but  reading  it  did  remind  me  about  the  questions  I've  faced  on  this  topic,  the  articles  and  blogs  I've  read,  and  basically  the  whole  abortion  debate.

And  I'm  reminded  once  again  of  Ann  Voskamp's  words  to her son about how nearly he was aborted  and  the  joy  she  has  that  she  didn't.  I'm  reminded  of  that  comment  I  once  heard  about  how  a  the  abortion  debate  reduces  life  to  the  rights  of  the  mother  or  the rights  of  the  child,  and  ignoring  the  fact  that  the  odds  mean  life  isn't  a  right,  but  a  privilege.

And  this  is  probably  easy  for  me  to  say  having  never  faced  an  abortion,  never  even  come  close  to  being  pregnant.  But  I  hope  that  if  I  was  ever  in  a  situation  like  Dynah's,  or  like  Ann's,  or  like  the  millions  of  nameless  women  who  face  an  abortion,  have  had  an  abortion,  I  would  be  able  to  say  no,  to  live  what  I  believe  now.

To  live  in  the  knowledge  that  Life  truly  is  a  Gift  from  God.

To  understand  that  by  rights  I  should  have  died  as  a  baby,  my  allergy  stunting  my  growth  and  causing  me  problems.  To  understand  that  by  rights  I  should  have  died  age  three,  when  the  pneumonia  nearly  put  me  in  hospital  -  and  I  was  only  kept  out  because  of  the  medical  know-how  in  my  family.  And  don't  get  me  started  on  all  the  other  times  I  could  have  died,  maybe  would  have  died, but  I  didn't.

To  understand  that  it  is  only  by  the  Grace  of  God  that  I  still  move  on  this  incredible  planet,  the  gas  covered  rock  that  hurtles  round  and  round  a  ball  of  flames.  To  understand  that  really,  it  is  through  Grace  that  I  have  a  chance  of  a  future.

And  to  know  that  I  do  not  have  the  right  to  deny  that  Grace  to  anyone.  Not  to  a  child  who  might  be  placed  within  my  womb,  and  not  to  a  mother  who  is  childless  because  of  an  abortion.

Because  Grace  does  more  than  just  let  us  breathe  and  think.  Grace  allows  us  to  dream  and  to  climb  and  to  run  and  to  dance.  Grace  is  about  more  than  just  being,  it's  about  living,  it's  about  letting  go.  It's  about  a  God  so  big  that  He  broke  Himself  for  a  people  so  small.

Grace  is  about  being  a  filthy,  ugly,  defiled  being  caught  up  in  the  loving,  beautiful,  pure  arms  of  God.  Grace  is  about  being  filled  with  His  love  and  His  Grace  and  His  Righteousness  and  pouring  it  out  on  those  who  need  it.

Grace  is  about  following  Jesus  and  being  a  Friend  of  Sinners  -  confident  that  anyone  can  be  a  Child  of  God.

Grace  is  about  living  out  the  knowledge  that  Life  is  a  Gift  right  here,  right  now,  every  time  I  meet  the  Miracle  of  a  living,  breathing  person.

No comments:

Post a Comment