Tuesday 3 September 2013

Closer than a brother (or a sister)

One  who  has  unreliable  friends  soon  comes  to  ruin,  but  there  is  a  friend  who  sticks  closer  than  a  brother ~ Proverbs 18: 24
I've  just  been  talking  with  a  good  friend  and  realizing  just  how  blessed  I  am.

I  mean,  I'm  really,  really  blessed.

I  have  friends  I  can  trust.  And  not  just  superficially.  But  really,  really  trust.

Friends  who  have  stuck  as  close  to  me  as  my  own  sisters.

I  have  guy  friends  who  I  relate  to  as  I  would  a  brother  and  I  am  so  blessed  by  their  presence  in  my   life.  They  are  people  who  I  know  will  protect  me,  even  if  they  do  spend  most  of  their  time  driving  me  up  walls.

And  I  have  girl  friends  who  I  can  speak  with  honestly  over  a  cup  of  tea  about  just  about  anything.  Women  who  are  like  sisters  to  me.  Who  I  can  turn  to  for  advise,  whether  it  be  about  books  to  read,  clothes,  movies,  guys...  anything  really,  and  know  that  they  will  give  me  sound,  godly  advise.

And  friends  from  both  genders  who  aren't  afraid  to  tell  me  just  what  an  idiot  I  am  and  let  me  know  when  I've  crossed  a  line  or  two.  And  then  work  with  me  to  improve  things.

And  it's  true,  I've  had  the  unreliable  friends.  The  friends  I've  trusted  only  to  find  they've  stuck  a  knife  through  me.  The  friendships  that  have  ended  terribly  and  have  left  me  wounded  and  bleeding.  But  even  in  those  times,  when  it  hasn't  seemed  I've  had  anyone  I  can  trust,  I've  had  one  friend  who  has  stuck  closer  to  me  than  any  sibling.

Jesus  has  never  let  me  down.  Ever.

And  I  know  people  have  rolled  their  eyes  at  me  and  muttered  about  not  wanting  to  hear  any  "religion".

But  it's  really  not  religion.

He's  been  there  for  me  through  absolutely  everything.  Though  the  mental  breakdowns  and  the  harassment  and  the  betrayals  and  the  illnesses  and  the  moves  between  countries.  He  has  stuck  closer  to  me  than  my  own  family.  And  He  has  shown  me  that  no  matter  how  bad  it  gets,  it  will  one  day  be  infinitely  better.

He  is  Healing  me  from  wounds  so  deep  I  was  certain  I  was  damaged  for  ever.  And  He  has  Blessed  me  in  so  many  ways.

Not  the  least  of  which  is  through  my  friends.

I've  heard  it  said  that  friends  are  God's  way  of  letting  us  know  we're  not  alone.

My  friends  are  certainly  that.

So  to  all  my  friends  I  just  want  to  say:  thank  you.

Thank  you  for  being  there  for  me.

Thank  you  for  letting  God  use  you  in  my  life.

Thank  you  for  being  such  a  blessing.

But  most  of  all,  thank  you,  God,  for  blessing  me  with  such  amazing  friends,  and  being  such  an  incredible  one  Yourself.

1 comment: