Thursday 19 September 2013

Hellos and Good-byes - a Post to Celebrate 6 Years of Grace

"You  know  you're  an  MK  (missionary  kid)  when  you'd  rather  never  say  hello  than  ever  say  goodbye."

A  little  under  6  years  ago,  when  I  first  stepped  onto  the  grounds  of  PAC  wearing  that  hideous  summer  dress,  that  was  me.

That  kid  who  didn't  want  to  say  hi,  because  it  meant  good-bye  later.

It  had  been  an  intense  six  months  in  the  lead  up  to  that  big  first  day.  An  international  move,  school  changes  (PAC  was  the  second  school  I  started  at  in  that  period  of  time),  house  changes...  all  of  which  meant  the  loss  of  absolutely  everyone  I  had  ever  known.

So,  to  be  frank,  the  idea  of  saying  hello  at  this  new  school,  full  of  strangers  who  spoke  with  accents  was...  terrifying.

And  today,  as  I  say  good-bye,  there  is  one  thing  I  know  very,  very  clearly.

Saying  good-bye  is  sad  and  painful...  but  I  am  oh,  so  glad  I  said  hello.

Because  everything  in  between  the  hello  and  the  good-bye  has  made  it  all  worthwhile.

And  this  isn't  going  to  be  as  articulate  as  I  would  like,  which  sucks  because  I'd  have  loved  the  post  thanking  my  school  to  have  been  my  best  ever,  but  what  words  can  you  use  when  what  you  have  been  given  is  beyond  words?

And  you  know  what,  PAC,  you  have  lived  your  motto.  Not  many  schools  can  say  that,  especially  when  their  motto  is  as  ambitious  as  ours:  "To  serve  Christ".  But  you  have  lived  it,  you  have  breathed  it,  and  you  have  made  it  possible  for  so  many  of  us  to  serve  Christ  as  well.

As  I  drove  down  the  back  of  the  gym  after  graduation  today,  feeling  choked  and  sad  because  this  was  good-bye,  I  would  never  wear  that  uniform  again,  I  would  never  do  anything  with  our  entire  year  (the  Dinner  tonight  aside)  ever  again,  the  lyrics  of  the  song  on  the  radio  pierced  my  mind.

I  don't  remember  exactly  what  they  were.  They  were  not  catchy  or  flash.  They  were  simple,  they  were  easy.  They  said  that  one  day  when  we  reached  the  edge  of  desperation,  we  would  call  out  to  God  for  a  miracle,  and  He  would  provide  us  with  one.

And  PAC,  you  were  that  miracle.

You  were  God's  Grace  given  form  in  my  life.

Teachers,  students,  I  don't  know  how  much  you  know  of  the  bullying  I  went  through  at  my  old  school.  I  don't  know  if  you  realize  how  broken,  how  afraid  and  how  closed  off  that  little  girl  with  the  weird  accent  really  was.  I  don't  know  if  you  realize  that  she  was  almost  too  afraid  to  move  those  first  days,  that  she  broke  down  in  tears  more  than  once  and  wished  she  was  anywhere,  anywhere  but  there.  I  don't  know  if  you  realized  how  lonely  she  was,  or  heartsick  and  homesick.

But  she  was.  I  was.  I  was  at  the  edge  of  desperation.  I  may  never  have  articulated  it,  but  the  truth  was,  I  needed  a  miracle  from  God.

And  long  before  I  ever  realized  it,  He  sent  me  one  in  you.

Because  that  in  between  I  spoke  of?  That  time  that  made  the  pain  of  good-bye  worthwhile,  and  the  hello  something  to  be  thankful  of?

That  time  was  filled  with  Blessings  and  Grace  and  Love.

It  was  filled  with  a  young  boy,  already  becoming  a  man  who  saw  me,  a  hurting  girl,  and  danced  the  most  ridiculous  "magic  tree  dance"  to  make  me  feel  better.

It  was  filled  with  young  girls,  already  becoming  women,  who  held  me  when  I  cried,  laughed  with  me,  talked  the  craziest  nonsense  and  teased  me  mercilessly  until  I  was  able  to  give  back  everything  they  gave  me.

It  was  filled  with  teachers  who  patiently  cared  for  me  when  I  was  sick,  supported  me  when  I  was  striving  for  a  goal,  saw  me  when  I  was  hidden  and  loved  me  without  condition.

It  was  filled  with  men  and  women  who  loved  God  with  all  their  hearts  and  served  Him  whole-heartedly.

It  was  filled  with  laughter,  tears,  successes,  failures,  periods  of  health  and  periods  of  sickness.

It  was  filled  with  family,  because  staff  and  students  alike  became  an  extended  family  I  know  I  can  turn  to  at  any  point  with  anything.

And  somewhere,  at  some  point,  PAC  became  a  home  to  me.  And  whilst  it  breaks  my  heart  to  say  good-bye  to  yet  another  home,  this  time,  I'm  not  afraid  to  face  the  future.

And  when  I  count  my  blessings,  PAC,  I  count  you  three  times.

Once  for  the  love,  care  and  support  of  the  teachers.

Once  for  the  students  who've  joined  me  on  the  journey.

Once  for  the  school  as  a  whole,  because  I  don't  know  where  I  would  be  if  God  hadn't  given  me  you.

And  then  I  start  on  the  individual  people  and  things  that  God  has  sent  me  through  you,  and  that  brings  the  Blessings  Count  into  the  hundreds  before  I  start  struggling  with  what  the  next  thing  on  the  list  is.

So  thank  you,  PAC,  for  all  you've  let  God  do.

Because  that's  your  secret,  isn't  it?

It's  not  that  you're  a  brilliant  school  with  perfect  people.  It's  that  you  step  back  and  let  God  do  the  work.

And  believe  me  it  shows.  The  students  graduating  with  me  today,  and  myself,  personally,  are  testimony  to  that.

So  thank  you,  thank  you,  thank  you.

You  became  God's  crafting  hands,  and  took  this  broken,  little  girl  and  have  grown  her  into  a  woman,  ready  to  face  the  world.

To  the  staff:  keep  doing  what  you  do.  Keep  trusting  God.  Keep  serving  God.  Keep  living  Grace.

And  to  the  students:  I  know  not  all  of  you  believe,  but  you've  all  been  so  instrumental  for  God's  work  in  my  life.  You  are  all  my  brothers  and  sisters,  (ok,  maybe  some  are  cousins)  some  just  of  the  heart,  and  others  by  Blood,  the  Blood  of  Jesus  Christ.

These  last  few  words  are  for  you,  my  fellow  year  12  graduates.  They  were  penned  by  my  grandmother  and  given  me  as  part  of  my  graduation  gift  (Oh,  the  Places  You'll  Go!  by  Dr Seuss!!),  and  now  I  pass  them  on  to  you:

"Today  is  your  school  graduation  day  and,  some  might  own,
the  last  days  of  rules  and  uniforms  and  all  such  strife;
or  the  end  of  childhood  dependence  and  comfort  zone,
as  others  might  rue  it.
Yet  how  much  better  to  view  it
as  the  first,  the  very  first,  day  of  the  rest  of  your  life.
So  savour  the  journey  as  much  as  the  destination,
face  every  challenge  with  faith  and  determination;
follow  that  path,  ford  that  stream
as  you  chase  your  dream
and  climb  those  hills,  whether  high  or  low;
then,  oh  the  sights  you  will  see  and  THE  PLACES  YOU'LL  GO!

Go  there:  take  care:
Stay  aware:  Play  fair:
There  is  so  much  out  there:
ENJOY!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment