Wednesday 4 September 2013

The Spring Sun Shines

It  has  officially  been  spring  for  four  days  now.

Though  spring  itself  has  already  been  here  for  a  week  or  so.

Still,  as  I  stepped  out  of  my  car  today  and  felt  the  warm  glow  of  the  sun  on  my  bare  arms,  smelt  the  fresh  air  and  heard  the  birds  twittering  in  the  distance,  I  felt  as  though  I  was  letting  out  a  breath  I'd  been  holding.

All  through  winter,  in  a  way.

They  say  that  spring  is  the  season  of  rebirth  and  life  and  I  can  see  what  they  mean.  Spring  is  often  associated  with  God's  grace.  The  Grace  that  restores  Life  to  the  Dead  simply  because.  Simply  because  He  can  and  He  wants  to.  I  look  out  the  window  and  walk  around  the  school  and  everything  is  bursting  with  life  after  months  winter.  Everywhere  can  I  see  God's  grace  in  sustaining  our  world  even  through  millennia  of  rebellion.

The  reminders  that  Life  is  a  Beautiful  Gift.  It  is  Grace  in  action.  Everything  breathes  to  the  steady  rhythm  of  Grace.

But  I  saw  something  on  Facebook  that  made  me  stop  and  think.

I  can't  remember  exactly  what  was  said,  but  I  do  remember  the  gist  of  it.  It  was  a  reminder  that  all  the  spring  time  births  were  conceived  in  darker  seasons.

And  I  realised...  spring  is  not  so  much  about  new  life.  It's  not  so  much  renewal.  Though  they  are  all  part  of  it.

Rather,  when  the  spring  sun  shines  it  shines  on  the  Grace  that  has  always  been  there.

The  spring  sun  brings  light  to  the  hidden  Grace,  the  secret  renewals,  the  quiet  workings  that  are  unseen  but  are  so,  so  vital.

The  spring  sun  is  God's  spotlight  pointing  to  Grace  already  fully  developed.  Already  fully  there.  On  Life  already  restored.

It  is  how  God  says  to  us  "Look,  you  couldn't  see  it  in  the  winter  months  when  everything  was  cold  and  gray,  but  my  Grace  was  there,  it  was  working.  But  I've  saved  the  best  for  you:  here,  take  the  end  product.  This  is  what  Spring  is  for,  to  show  you  that  my  Grace  never  stops  working."

And  I'm  so  glad  God  has  been  whispering  the  Secret  of  Spring  in  my  ear  today.  So,  so  glad.

Because  I've  needed  His  Grace  today.  I've  needed  to  remember  that  even  when  the  sun  is  hidden  by  the  clouds  that  His  Grace  is  still  active.

The  past  few  hours  have  been  discouraging.  Maths  related,  of  course.  But  oh  so  discouraging.

The  little,  nitty-gritty  details  that  just  won't  stop  coming  up,  the  tiny  things  that  aren't  quite  perfect,  and  don't  get  me  started  on  that  unit  I'm  struggling  to  wrap  my  head  around,  or  that  fact  that  I  pretty  much  failed  the  last  exams  or  any  of  the  rest  of  it.

And  they've  felt  like  a  mini  Winter  and  I've  been  looking  out  of  my  window  and  wishing  for  Spring.  Wishing  for  it  all  to  be  over  and  to  see  the  sun  shining.

And  God's  been  whispering,  "the  sun  shine  will  come  in  time...  but  remember,  all  it  does  is  illuminate  Grace  that  is  already  there.

"Don't  give  up."

And  outside,  the  spring  sun  shines.

No comments:

Post a Comment