Thursday 5 September 2013

When Black is the Only Colour that Suits

I'm  sitting  here,  staring  at  my  screen.  I  don't  know  what  to  write.  No,  I  know  what  to  write,  but  I  don't  know  how  to  say  it.

Because  how  does  one  say  the  unspeakable  pain  of  finding  out  that  a  loved  one  has  been  suffering  alone?

How  does  one  say  the  agony  of  knowing  that  a  friend  is  in  danger,  and  has  been  for  a  long  time,  and  you've  never  even  known?

How  does  one  say  the  guilt  that  comes  from  having  seen  signs,  but  not  devoted  the  time  to  finding  out  what  they  mean,  only  to  discover  they  mean  something  far  worse  than  could  be  imagined?

How  does  one  say  an  agony  so  deep  that  only  those  who've  felt  it  can  understand?

And,  if  it  was  happening  to  me  that  would  be  so  much  easier  because  then  I  would  know  what  to  do,  how  to  fight  it.  But  it's  not.  It's  happening  to  someone  else,  someone  oh  so  dear  to  me  and  all  I  can  do  is  fall  down  to  my  knees  and  pray  as  I  watch  from  the  sidelines.

And  how  does  one  speak  of  the  pain  that  is?

How  does  one  speak  of  the  pain  that  at  once  has  them  crying  out  "why?!"  to  God  and  on  down  on  bended  knees  singing  the  words  of  Amazing  Grace  over  and  over  again.

Particularly  that  third  verse.

The  verse  that  admits  there  are  many  dangers,  many  toils  and  many  snares.  But  reminds  that  Grace  is  what  has  brought  us  through  them  and  promises  that  Grace  will  bring  us  home.

And  it's  all  Grace.  It's  only  Grace.

Grace  that  makes  up  for  our  eggshell  strength.  Grace  that  makes  up  for  our  failures.

Grace...  Grace...  Grace...

And  as  I  walk,  still  reeling  and  in  pain,  the  sound  of  birdsong  comes  through  loud  and  clear.

 And  yes,  I'm  wearing  black  because  it's  the  only  colour  that  really  fits  things  right  now.

But  even  after  everything  else  has  been  stripped  away  and  hidden,  Hope  remains.

Because  His  Grace  is  unchanging.

No comments:

Post a Comment