Tuesday 17 September 2013

To all Those Who Have Wished They Were Someone Else

Hey  you!

Yeah,  you.  You're  the  one  I'm  talking  to.

So  glad  you  could  stop  and  chat  with  me  for  a  bit.

I  just  wanted  to  say,  you're  looking  great  today.

And  I  mean  that.

Don't  grin  and  roll  your  eyes  at  me.

You  really  do  look  great.  I  wonder  if  you  realize  just  how  many  people  that  smile  of  yours  has  touched  today,  even  if  it  was  only  a  brief  smile?

Yeah,  yeah.  I  know.  I  know  every  response  that  brain  of  yours  is  coming  up  with.  Believe  me,  I've  used  them  all.

But  trust  me,  your  friends,  and  even  some  people  you  don't  really  know,  drew  some  energy  and  joy  from  that  smile  you  gave  them.  Such  a  beautiful  smile.  Unique  to  you.

And  you  know  what?  You're  amazing.

Let  me  repeat  that,  because  you  probably  don't  get  told  it  enough,  and  you  certainly  don't  realize  it  enough.

You.  Are.  Amazing.

Absolutely  breathtaking.

Course,  you  most  likely  don't  believe  that.  Trust  me,  I  know  that  too.  I  certainly  have  a  very  hard  time  believing  it  when  I  hear  it.

After  all,  what's  so  amazing  about  me?  Or,  more  pertinent  to  this  little  chat  of  ours,  what's  so  amazing  about  you?

Well,  where  do  I  start.

Let's  start  here:

1)  You  are  a  wonderfully  unique  human  being.  I  mean  it. 

I  like  biology.  Theoretical  genetics  is  one  of  my  favourite  topics.  And  you  know  what  my  understanding  of  theoretical  genetics  tells  me?  You  are  absolutely,  100%  your  own  person.  You  have  a  genetic  code  that  nobody  else  on  this  planet  has. 

I  could  through  all  those  technical  terms  about  random  this  and  random  that  and  crossing  over  at  you,  but  all  they  mean  is  that  no-one  else  has  your  genetic  code.  No-one  else  has  had  your  genetic  code. 

No-one  else  will  have  your  genetic  code. 

Unless  of  course,  your  an  identical  twin,  in  which  case,  you  and  your  twin  share  100%  of  you  DNA. 

But   you  know  what,  you  two  are  still  totally  unique.  Because  who  we  are  is  so  much  deeper  than  just  our  genetic  code. 

No-one  else  has  the  same  mixture  of  tastes  you  do.  Nobody  else  listens  to  the  same  mixture  of  music  genres  or  enjoys  the  same  mixture  of  flavours  or  flowers  or  movies  or  shows  or  anything  like  that. 

And  your  personality.  Your  personality  is  so  your  own.  Sure  you  will  meet  people  with  very  similar  personality  types,  but  you  have  a  set  of  personality  quirks  which  is  uniquely  yours. 

You  are  so  amazingly  unique.

2)  And  do  you  know  what  being  unique  makes  you? 

It  makes  you  precious.  So  very  precious. 

Do  you  know  what  the  world's  governments  have  said  the  highest  they'll  pay  in  ransom  for  a  single  person  is?  $2 000 000.  At  least,  that's  the figure  I  heard.  Doesn't  seem  like  much,  huh?  But  it  means  you  are  most  likely  the  most  expensive  thing  you  own. 

Money  aside,  tell  me,  how  does  the  valuing  system  of  this  world  work?  Let  me  clarify,  how  do  we  decide  the  value  of  something?

Here's  how:  we  look  at  how  rare  or  how  common  that  item  is.  The  rarer  it  is,  the  more  valuable.  The  more  common  it  is,  the  less  valuable.  That's  why  flawless  diamonds  are  so  expensive.  They  are  extremely  difficult  to  come  by.

This  means  that  you,  singular,  unique  you,  are  extremely,  extremely  valuable.  Because  you  don't  get  too  much  rarer  than  unique  and  singular.  And  you  are  even  for  difficult  to  come  by  than  a  flawless  diamond.  Heck,  this  planet  has  had  to  wait  for  as  long  as  it's  been  in  existence  for  you  to  come  by,  now  it's  only  got  you  for  a  short  time  and  there  is  absolutely  no  one  to  synthesis  you  the  way  we  can  with  diamonds.

You  are  so,  so  precious.

3)  You've  got  a  story  no-one  else  has.  You  have  a  life  behind  you,  happening  around  you  and  lying  in  front  of  you  such  as  nobody  else  will  ever  experience.

You  walk  a  road  nobody  else  walks  and  nobody  else  will  walk.  And  that  road  is  crossing  and  intersecting  with  other  roads.  The  roads  of  other  people  and  opportunities.  That  means  that  alone  will  be  able  to  touch  the  lives  of  every  single  other  person  you  meet.  You  alone  will  be  able  to  affect  people  at  that  point  and  in  that  way.  That's  a  pretty  sacred  and  wondrous  thing,  don't  you  think?

And  sure,  it  looks  big  and  daunting,  and   the  fear  of  what-if-I-screw-up  may  be  very, very  really,  but  that  doesn't  make  you  and  your  life  any  less  wondrous.

4)  This  one  is  one  of  the  most  important  things  ever.  This  is  the  one  that  has  stood  from  the  beginning  of  Creation.

You  are  made  in  the  image  of  God.

The  image  of  God.

Well,  sure,  you  say.  What  does  that  mean,  you  say.

What  are  you  looking  at  me  for?  I'm  only  young,  I  don't  know  the  whole  answer.  But  here  it  is  in  a  small,  small  part.  A  very  tiny,  poorly  formed  part.

It  means  you  have  a  deep,  deep  capacity  for  compassion  and  love.  Seriously,  we're  so  special  in  that  way.  I've  never  seen  an  animal  that  is  capable  of  the  same  kind  of  compassion  and  love  that  we  are.  That  you  are  capable  of.  That  is  absolutely  wonderful.  And  sure  people  may  knock  compassion  and  love  as  weakness,  but  no  society  can  survive  without  it.  And  you  have  it.  You  have  that  capacity  of  compassion  and  love  that,  when  used,  keeps  this  world  turning.  Wow.  Just,  wow.

It  also  means  that  you  have  authority  on  this  planet.  You  have  the  God-given  responsibility  and  ability  to  rule  this  world.  And  I'm  not  talking  Hitler  or  Stalin  style  domination.  Heck  no,  that's  just  warped.  No,  I'm  talking  the  kind  of  rule  that  cares  for  the  welfare  of  this  world,  the  authority  that  means  you  can  direct  the  way  society  goes.  The  authority  that  means  you  can  make  a  difference.  Sure,  you  may  not  think  you  can,  but  oh,  my  word,  you  have  that  ability  within  you.  And  the  difference  you  can  make?  My  mind  is  just  blown  away  by  the  sheer  wonder  of  all  the  possibilities.

You  are  made  in  the  image  of  God,  and  that  is  an  absolutely  wondrous  thing.

5)  This  is  the  most  important.

This  is  the  big  one.

This  is  the  one  you  will  need  to  carve  into  your  heart,  write  on  your  hand,  remember  until  it  becomes  knowledge  as  ingrained  as  breathing.

This  reason  leaves  all  the  others  in  the  dark.

Because  you  know  how  broken  and  incomplete  you  feel?  How  worthless  and  imperfect  you  think  you  are?

Well,  for  all  that  you  were  designed  with  the  wondrousness  and  uniqueness  I've  been  outlining,  something  did  go  wrong.

Something  did  break  you.  It  made  you  incomplete,  it  made  you  imperfect.  It  had  the  potential  to  make  you  worthless.

That  thing...  well,  we  call  it  sin.

It's  the  human  stubbornness  that  we  know  best.  The  mule-headed  stupidity  that  has  us  saying  we  can  run  things.  It's  that  thing  inside  us  all  that  says  that  the  One  who  Created  this  UNIVERSE  is  an  idiot  and  shouldn't  be  allowed  to,  well,  own  what  He  has  created.  When,  you  know  what,  we  really  can't.  And  He  really  isn't.  And  He  really,  really  should.

And  you're  looking  at  me  as  if  I'm  crazy  and  asking  how  is  this  supposed  to  show  how  amazing  I  am?  Well,  here  it  is  ladies  and  gentlemen,  here's  the  reason  you're  amazing  and  I'm  amazing,  and  no  matter  how  horrid  we  feel  that  is  a  truth  that  can  never  change:

You  have  been  Chosen  by  this  same  Creator.

That's  right.  You  heard  me  right.

The  Creator  who  you  have  told  to  get  stuffed  has  chosen  you.

He.  Has.  Chosen.  You.

Not  because  you  deserve  it.

Man,  you  deserve  the  torture  chamber,  all  the  crap  you've  done  to  Him.  I  do  to.  More  than  you,  probably.

But  He  still  Chose  you.

He  has  looked  at  you  and  seen  everything  you  have  become.  He  knows  exactly  how  far  you  are  from  the  amazing,  unique,  precious  and  wondrous  person  He  created  you  to  be.

Don't  think  for  one  second  you  have  Him  fooled  about  that.

But  He  has  still  Chosen  you.

He  has  still  said,  I  want  you  to  be  My  Child.  I  want  you  to  call  Me  Abba.  I  want  to  build  you  a  home,  not  on  earth  where  everything  perishes  and  has  no  lasting  value,  but  up  here,  with  me,  where  everything  is  eternal.  Gold  and  diamonds?  They've  got  no  value  compared  to  what  I  want  to  give  you.  Forget  about  them.  I  want  to  give  you  Eternal  Life.  I  want  to  give  you  Joy.  I  want  to  give  you  Peace.  I  want  to  give  you  Love.  I  want  to  give  you  a  Royal  inheritance.  That  new  prince  of  England?  Forget  about  his  kingdom.  The  Kingdom  I  want  you  to  be  a  part  of  makes  his  look  like  a  spec  of  dust.

And  you  know  what  you  have  to  do  in  order  to  receive  this  wonderful  incredible  gift?  Become  this  incredible,  unique,  wondrous  person?  Nothing.  Nothing  at  all.

Just  accept  it.  Just  accept  Him.  Realise  that  He  is,  in  fact,  Creator,  and  that  makes  Him  King.

Then  you  become  everything  you  are  meant  to  be:  you  are  unique.  You  are  precious.  You  are  made  in  God's  image  with  a  depth  of  compassion  and  love  and  a  wonderful  ability  to  make  a  difference.  And  you  are  His  child.

Do  you  believe  me  now  when  I  say  you're  amazing?

You  really  are.

You  are  so  wonderfully  amazing.  It  blows  my  mind.

And  you're  amazing  not  because  of  who  YOU  are,  or  what  YOU  have  done,  but  because  of  who  HE  is,  and  what  HE  has  GIVEN  to  you.

Do  you  understand  that?

Probably  not.  At  least,  not  entirely.  I  know  I  don't.  And  I've  been  trying  to  understand  it  my  whole  life.  Not  that  that  has  been  very  long.

It's  a  mystery  to  me.  I  guess  I'm  just  going  to  have  to  learn  to  accept  it.

Accept  the  Amazing  Grace  that  has  made  me  Amazing.  Same  as  you  are.  Because  you  are  amazing.

Please  don't  let  anyone  take  that  away  from  you.

Don't  let  anyone  make  you  feel  like  you  aren't  worth  it,  whether  it  is  through  what  they  do  to  you  or  through  how  much  you  envy  them.

You  are  amazing.

I'm  so  glad  we've  had  this  talk.  I  hope  I've  helped  you  see  just  how  incredible  you  are.

Thanks  for  listening  to  me  rambling  at  you  this  whole  time.  I  just  thought  this  was  important  to  say.

Because,  you  know,  we  never  remind  each  other  of  this  enough.

God  bless  you,
my  amazing  friend,
Laura  Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment