Thursday 12 September 2013

When Life starts getting away from you

I  have  a  confession  to make,  my  dear  readers.  I  have  not  been  doing  well,  recently.  Not  been  doing  well  at  all.

And  it's  easy,  you  know,  to  smile  and  say  I'm  fine.  To  laugh  and  pretend  part  of  me  isn't  slowly  dying.

I've  been  doing  that  for  years.  Learning  how  to  perfect  that  mask  of  joy  in  times  of  exhaustion  and  sorrow.

But,  you  know,  nothing's  perfect  and  that  mask...  it  hasn't  been  used  in  a  while  and  so  now  it's  cracking  and  my  words  are  hurting  the  people  I  care  about  all  because  I've  been  refusing  to  take  that  mask  off.

I've  been  refusing  to  acknowledge  just  how  overwhelmed  and  bone  weary  I  am.  Been  refusing  to  take  the  time  to  sit  in  God's  presence  and  just  breath  His  Grace  because  I  don't  want  to  slow  down  enough  to  really  think.

And  I  don't  want  to  think  about  the  fact  that  I  graduate  in  a  week's  time.  Or  that  a  few  days  later  one  of  my  beloved  sisters  celebrates  sweet  16.  Or  that  one  of  my  friends  is  hurting  and  there  is  nothing  I  can  do.  Or  that  I'm  about  to  say  good-bye  to  people  I've  come  to  love  as  dearly  as  though  they  were  family.

I'm  not  ready  to  say  good-bye.

I'm  not  ready  to  let  go  of  things.

And  time  is  flowing  so  fast  that  it  feels  like  a  mere  blink  of  the  eye  will  see  my  baby  sister  graduating.  Friends  marrying.  Parents  dying.

And  I  wish  I'd  taken  the  more  time  to  tell  those  stories,  to  make  memories,  to  laugh,  to  smile.

I  wish  I'd  spent  more  time  just  being  and  less  time  trying  to  run  away  from  everyone  and  everything.

I  wish  I'd  learnt  sooner  how  to  role  with  the  punches  and  let  the  hits  slide  off.  I  wish  I'd  learnt  sooner  that  breathing  in  Grace  and  breathing  out  Thanksgiving  is  the  only  way  to  live.

And  I  wish  I  could  do  that  constantly.

I  wish  I  knew  how  to  love  my  friends  even  when  I  felt  like  hiding.

I  wish  I  had  slapped  and  snapped  at  my  sisters  less  and  had  baked  them  more  cakes  and  brownies  and  cookies  just  because  I  could.  Just  because  they  are  my  sisters  and  they  are  such  a  blessing.

And  I  wish  I  had  cooked  dinner  more  and  learnt  how  to  keep  my  room  from  being  messy.

I  wish  I  had  spent  more  time  with  my  dad  and  listened  more  to  my  baby  sister's  chatter.

So  many  things  I  wish  I  had  done.

And  how  often  does  one  wish  they  could  go  back  to  their  nursery  days?  Go  back  to  when  times  were  simpler?  I  wish  I  could  go  back.  Not  just  because  they  were  simpler  times,  but  because  then  I  could  do  it  all  over.  There  are  so  many  things  I  wouldn't  do  again,  and  so  many  things  I  would  do  if  I  could.

And  I  wish  I  could  see  that  broken,  little  girl  who  made  herself  as  small  as  possible  in  her  school  library,  whose  closest  friends  were  Harry  Potter  and  Frodo  Baggins  and  the  Secret  Seven  and  the  Famous  Five  and  the  people of  Narnia.  Whose  wish  was  to  find  a  rabbit  hole  and  go to  Wonderland  and  be  loved  and  admired.  Who  wanted  to  slay  dragons  and  be  princess  in  a  palace  with  golden  hair  and  blue  eyes.  Who  dreamt  of  adventure  and  shooting  arrows  from  horseback  and  exploring  the  grounds  of  Lothlorien  with  Legolas  as  her  guide.  Who  wanted  to  walk  among  the  stars  with  Mary  Poppins  and  fly  over  mountaintops.  The  girl  who  dreamt  of  meeting  Prince  Charming  and  wearing  beautiful  dresses.  That  little  girl  whose  life  was  made  of  stories  because  there  she  was  safe,  there  she  could  not  be  touched  by  those  who  sought  to  hurt  her.

I  wish  I  could  see  her  and  hug  her  and  whisper  into  her  ear  another  story.  Her  story.

I  wish  I  could  tell  her  that  she  will  face  dragons  and  kill  some,  but  not  others.  That  she  will  lose  everything  and  gain  everything.  That  whilst  her  hair  may  never  been  gold  and  her  eyes  never  blue,  her  brown  hair  and  eyes  were  still  beautiful.  And  I  don't  know  if  they  are  captivating  in  way  she  dreams  they  would  be,  soft  and  gentle,  but  they have  their  own  charm.  I  would  tell  her  that  she  will  make  friends  who  would  fight for  her  whatever  the  cost  to  themselves.  I  would  tell  her  that  her  that  she  will  love  and  she  will  lose  and  she  will  learn  and  she  will  fall  and  she  will  run  and  she  will  stand  and  she  will  kneel  and  she  will  cry  and  she  will  never  give  up  because  her  prince  fight s  with  her.

And  I  would  tell  her  that  her  prince  Charming  is  already  there.  That  He  already  walks  beside  her  and  calls  to  her.  That  over  the  years  He  will  woo  her  and  save  her  and  catch  her  like  Superman  catches  Lois  Lane.  I  would  tell  her  that  he  Prince  Charming  died  for  her  and  lives  for  her  and  that  He  never  wants  her  to  be  alone.  I  would  tell  her  that  yes,  her  head  knows  this  but  her  heart  hasn't  fully  grasped  it  and  I  know  that  for  sure  because  mine  still  struggles  with  it.  I  will  tell  her  that  He  thinks  her Priceless  and  Beautiful  and  He  will  always  provide  her  with  the  Strength  and  the  Grace  to  get  back  to  her  feet  and  keep  on  going  when  all  she  wants  to  do is  die,  when  all  she  can  see  is  pain.  And  I  would  tell  her  that  she  would  fight  that  Love  and  reject  that  Grace  because  it's  just  too  big  for  her,  she  can't  understand  it  and  that  that  fight  will  hurt  her  more  than  anything  else.

And  I  would  tell  her  to  stop  running.  To  stop  hiding. To  stop  fearing.  Because  she  is  only  going  to  regret  it.  I  would  tell  her  to  that  she  has  been  listening  to  lies  and  that  really,  she  doesn't  need  books  to  live  adventure:  her  whole  life  is  one  big  adventure.

I  would  ask  her  to  throw  herself  into  it  fearlessly  and  not  care  about  the  laughter  that  is  directed  at  her,  because  that  is  laughter  full  of  malice  and  it  will  only  end  up  choked  off  while  she  learns  to laugh  a  laugh  full  of  joy  and  love.

And  I  wish  I  could  tell  her  what  mistakes  to  avoid  whilst  still  loving  everyone  fully  and  whole-heartedly.  I  wish  I  could  show  her  that  nothing  is  more  wonderful  than  a  heart  soaked  in  God's  love  and  ask  that  she  start  working  on  it  sooner  so  that  this  heart  could  be  less  ugly.

And  I  wish  I  could  tell  her  to  never  leave  her  friends,  to  hold  onto  them  and  love  them  as  a  sister  no  matter  how  much  they  sunk  knives  into  her  just  because  they  were  hurting  themselves.  Just  because  they  don't  know  love.

I  wish  I  could  tell  her  to  give  and  to  give  and  not  let  anyone  take  her  apart.

I  wish  I  could  tell  her  to  cook  more  and  not  be  afraid  to  burn  things.  To  paint  more  and  not  be  afraid  of  the  fact  that  it  is  going  to  be  terribly.  To  write  more,  and  write  solely  for  the  pleasure  of  God.

But  time  doesn't  allow  u-turns.  It  doesn't  allow  do-overs  and  start  from  the  beginnings.  Only  games  do.  And  life  is  no  game.

But  Grace  does.  Grace  lets  us  take  broken  lives  and  build  them  afresh,  because  it's not  us  doing  the  building,  it's  God.

Grace  lets  us  strip  of  our  happy masks  and  let  the  world  see  everything  underneath.  Because  through  Grace,  there  is  Joy  in  even  the  saddest  and  roughest  heart,  Through  Grace,  there  is  a  Laughter  that  bubbles in  the  Soul  even  when  the  eyes  weep  endlessly.  Through  Grace,  there  is  a  Peace  in  the  middle  of  turmoil.

Through  Grace,  there  is  also  a  chance  to  Heal  those  careless  wounds  inflicted  by  ones  words.

And  through  Grace,  the  unready  still  make  it  through  alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment