Monday 23 September 2013

Sweet Sixteen

Oh  wow...  you're  sixteen  today.  Sixteen.

Soon,  you'll  be  learning  to  drive.

There's  a  scary  thought.

Hard  to  believe  it's  been  sixteen  years  since  Mum  and  Dad  brought  you  home  from  the  hospital.

Sixteen  years  since  little  me  came  running  from  the  bedroom  to  give  my  new  baby  sister  my  most  precious  possession,  a  teddy  bear.

Hard  to  believe  it's  been  sixteen  years  since  you  cried  and  I  begged  Mama  to  feed  you  because  you  were  crying  and  I  didn't  like  it.

Hard  to  believe  that  it  was  sixteen  years  ago  that  you  came  into  my  home,  my  life  and  my  heart.

Oh,  my  precious  little  sister,  I  watched  you  Saturday  night,  as  we  sat  with  your  friends  around  the  lounge  room,  feasting  on  the  food  of  our  childhood.

You  looked  so  much  like  Mum  in  those  black  trousers  and  embroidered  vest.

And  at  the  same  time,  you  looked  nothing  like  her.

And  you  know  what?  I  was  so  proud.

I  was  so,  so  proud  of  the  beautiful  young  woman  that  baby  girl  has  grown  up  to  be.

I  was  so  proud  that  your  outer  beauty,  the  beauty  that  would  turn  heads  wherever  you  went,  is  enhanced  by  the  gentleness  of  spirit  that  shines  in  your  eyes  and  is  reflected  in  every  movement  you  make.

I  was  so  proud  of  the  calm  serenity  with  which  you  hosted  the  room  full  of  teenagers  and  the  servant-hearted  way  in  which  you  brought  food  around,  encouraged  them  to  eat  and  to  rest.

And  seeing  all  your  closest  friends  there?  Looking  around  and  seeing  the  young  men  and  women  seated  around  you?  Those  you  had  chosen  to  share  your  birthday  with  because  they  already  shared  your  life?

I  was  even  more  proud.  And  I'm  speaking  in  past  tense,  but  that  pride  hasn't  subsided.

I  was  proud  because  I  saw  the  way  they  cared  for  each  other.  The  way  they  cared  for  you.  I  saw  the  way  the  respected  each  other  and  encouraged  each  other.  I  saw  the  way  they  laughed  together  and  joked  together.  I  saw  the  way  they  were  willing  to  dive  hand  first  into  new  experiences  and  urged  each  other  to  dig  deeper  into  that  food  they  did  not  know.

I  saw  it  all,  and  I  knew  they  were  godly  men  and  women.  Young  yet,  but  still  men  and  women.

And  I  was  proud  because  they  are  a  testimony  to  who  you  are.  Who  you  have  grown  to  be.

And  because  I  can  trust  them  to  keep  pushing  you  to  be  even  more  the  woman  God  intends  you  to  be.

I  am  so  grateful,  my  dear,  dear  sister,  that  God  gave  me  you  to  walk  beside  these  past  16  years.  I  don't  know  where  I'd  be  without  your  gentle,  sweet,  loving,  grace  -  my!  how  you  shine  God  in  all  that  you  are.

You  know  those  cheesy  little  signs?  Those  little  things  that  say  stuff  like  "God  made  us  sisters,  but  our  hearts  made  us  friends"?  I  always  think  of  you  when  I  see  them.  Cheesy,  I  know,  but  it's  true.

Just  looking  back  on  the  past  16  years,  I  know  how  much  of  who  I  have  become  today  is  the  result  of  having  you  around.  You  have  often  shamed  me  into  better  behavior,  built  me  up  in  the  things  I  do,  encouraged  me  in  everything,  lifted  me  up  when  I  am  down,  torn  me  down  when  I've  gotten  too  big,  given  me  a  reason  to  grow  up  and  be  responsible,  taught  me  how  to  be  silly  without  being  an  idiot,  pushed  me  out  of  my  shell.  Well,  if  I  listed  everything  God  has  used  you  for  in  my  life,  we'd  all  be  here  for  16  years!

You've  never  stopped  touching  lives.

Ever.

Everyone  you've  come  into  contact  with  has  been  touched  by  you  in  some  way.

I  know  they  don't  all  like  you,  but  you  do  touch  them.

God  shines  out  of  you  far  to  clearly  for  anyone  to  be  left  unaffected.  And,  as  Jesus  warned,  not  everyone  is  happy  about  it.

But  you've  helped  Heal  so  many  people.  And  I  know  you  feel  inadequate,  but  you  really  have.  You  really  do.

You've  known,  for  much,  much  longer  than  I,  that  the  secret  to  Healing  is  Loving.  And  the  secret  to  Loving  is  Resting  in  God.  Drawing  from  God.  Loving  God.

And  I  can  only  imagine  what  it  is  like  for  those  people  who  meet  you  for  the  first  time.  Who  see  that  warm,  dazzling  smile  of  yours  greet  them  as  they  stand  in  a  room  full  of  strangers.  Who  see  your  tall,  graceful  frame  moving  towards  them.  To  be  getting  to  know  you  for  the  very  first  time.

I'm  sure  they'd  all  be  as  spellbound  as  I  was  that  first  day,  16  years  ago.  They  certainly  act  it.

And  my  sister,  my  precious  little  sister,  would  you  accept  a  little  advise  from  your  silly, big  sister  who  still  has  so  much  to  learn  herself?  You're  doing  well,  you  don't  really  need  what  I  have  to  say,  but  will  you  take  it  anyway?

I  hope  you  will.  I'd  hate  to  think  that  I  no  longer  have  a  part  to  play  in  your  life.

My  sister,  keep  doing  what  you're  doing.

Keep  reading  God's  Word  with  that  crazy,  loving,  passionate  energy  you  read.  Even  when  it's  hard,  don't  stop  reading  it.

Don't  stop  pursing  God's  heart  and  letting  Him  woo  yours.

Don't  stop  loving  God.

Don't  stop  loving  others.

Don't  stop  reaching.  Don't  stop  giving.  Don't  stop  laughing.  Don't  stop  dancing.

Keep  being  amazed  at  the  depth  and  wealth  of  our  God  and  His  world.

Keep  being  wowed  by  the  view.

Keep  lifting  that  beautiful,  beautiful  voice  of  yours  up  in  song,  praising  the  One  who  gave  it  to  you.

Keep  being  God's  hands  and  feet.

Keep  being  His  voice  whenever  you  speak.

Stay  surrounded  by  those  men  and  women  who were  here  Saturday  night.  I  know  that'll  never  let  you  settle  for  "I'm  doing  well  compared  to..."  and  will  always  encourage  you  to  remain  with  your  eyes  fixed  on  Jesus.

Change,  my  sister,  but  only  change  in  a  way  that  brings  you  closer  to  the  standard  set  by  Jesus.  And  here  I'll  interrupt  myself  and  say  that  yes,  you  will  fall  back.  Yes,  you  will  not always  improve.  And  yes,  you  will  be  discouraged.  You  will  be  pull  down.  You  will  be  broken.

But  that's  ok.  Because,  despite  the  fact  that  who  you  are  now  is  stunning,  who  God  is  turning  you  into  is  spectacular.

And,  like  a  mosaic,  that's  going  to  take  some  rearranging.

I  wish  I  had  something  to  give  you  other  than  these  slight  words.  I  wish  I  could,  as  I  did  sixteen  years  ago,  pick  up  my  most  prized  possession  and  give  it  to  you.

But  I  can't.  Firstly,  because  my  most  prized  possession  is  not  something  that  can  simply  be  given  to  someone.  And  secondly,  because  you  already  have  it.

Have  you  guessed  what  it  is?  You  know  me  so  well,  of  course  you  have,  my  most  prized  possession  is  my  relationship  with  God.

It's  your  most  prized  possession  too.  Please,  don't  ever  lose  it.

And  my  sister,  I  have  so  much  more  to  say.  So,  so  much  more.  But  I  don't  have  the  time  to  say  it  in.  Though,  if  I  did,  I  wouldn't  have  the  words.

So  I'll  finish  like  this:  Happy  Birthday,  habeebti.  God  bless  you  always.  And  I  look  forward  to  the  rest  of  your  life!

2 comments:

  1. Ohh that is so sweet and so true, Hannah you are the most loving, caring person that has touched my life in the last two years.

    ps this made me cry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to make you cry Kala! But she so is! Proud of you, sis!

      Delete