Tuesday 1 October 2013

Why We Shouldn't Try Hiding the Cracks of our Brokenness

It's  true  isn't  it.

We're  all  broken.

I  know  I  am.

And  I  guess we  know  that  in  God  we're  mended.  Though  often,  that's  hard  to  really  believe.

Because  we  still  feel  broken.  We  still  see  the  flaws  and  the  cracks.

Those  cracks  where  we're  broken  and  pieced  back  together.

Or  is  that  just  me?

I  don't  think  it  is.

I  don't  think  I'm  the  only  one  who  sees  my  cracks  and  wishes  they  were  gone.

And  I  do  have  them.

I've  got  a  real  big  one  that  is  my  temper.  She's  not  so  pretty.  And  she  gets  bigger  the  more  tired  and  stressed  I  am.

I've  got  another  along  my  trust  line  -  I  find  it  so  difficult  to  trust,  I  sometimes  wonder  if  I'm  deficient  in  some  way.

I've  got  one  big  crack  in  my  heart  from  all  the  good-byes  I've  had  to  say  in  my  life.

And  let's  not  start  of  the  all  those  cracks  and  chinks  that  come  from  all  the  bullying  I  went  through,  all  the  times  I've  been  betrayed,  and  all  the  times  when  I  haven't  honoured  God.

And  it's  so  easy  to  be  ashamed  of  those  cracks.  So  easy  to  try  and  hide  them.

I  bet  I'm  not  the  only  one  who  tries  pretending  that  everything  is  just  peachy,  and  that  they're  perfect  and  that  no,  I'm  really  not  holding  back  the  tears,  there's  just  something  in  my  eye.

Anyone  else  know  that  feeling?

That  feeling  of  deep  shame  and  disgust  at  ones  own  faults  and  imperfections?

Used  to  be  with  me  that  the  better  I  dressed,  the  worse  I  was  feeling.  (That  is  not  true  any  more  -  now  I  dress  well  because  I  like  dressing  well!)  But  you  know  what  I  mean.

The  way  I  dressed  used  to  be  a  way  I  compensated  for  the  horror  of  the  broken  mess  I  was  (and  still  am).

Any  one  else  tried  that?

Any  one  else  ever  looked  at  themselves  in  the  mirror,  or  stopped  short  for  a  moment  and  just  cried  to  God  "How  can  you  use  me  when  I  am  so  broken?  How  could  you  even  want  me?"

Yeah,  you  know  what  I'm  talking  about.

You  know  what  I've  been  learning,  and  what  really  hit  home  for  me  today?

We  shouldn't  be  hiding  those  cracks.

We  shouldn't  (I  almost  left  it  at  should  -  slightly  different  meaning  there)  be  denying  the  brokenness.

We  shouldn't  be  ashamed  of  who  we  are,  imperfections  and  all.

As  much  as  we  may  want  to  crawl  into  a  whole  and  hide  or  completely  redo  ourselves  so  that  we  have  less  cracks,  less  flaws  and  imperfects,  we  shouldn't  try  to.

I  shouldn't  try  to.

I  shouldn't  be  denying  that  fact  that  I've  been  broken.

Why?  Well,  partly,  it's  because  I've  been  mended.

But  mostly,  it's  because  of  who  mended  me  and  how  He  is  using  those  cracks.

I'll  just  write  here  something  that  I  wrote  in  my  journal  earlier.  On  a  side  note,  I  spent  three  hours  journaling  about  this  topic  this  morning,  so  everything  that  is  quoted  from  this  point  to  the  end  of  the  post  is  from  there.

"If  it  wasn't  for  the  cracks,  [God]  couldn't  seep  out  the  way  [he  does].

"Yeah,  my  imperfections,  my  blemishes,  my  weaknesses,  my  cracks,  they  all  serve  a  purpose.  They  are  how  God  shines  His  light  into  the  world  through  me.  They  are  how  God  shows  the  world  just  how  amazing  He  is.

"Through  life,  there  is  one  thing  I  have  observed  that  true  Followers  of  the  Way  are  pretty  consistently  unique  in.

"We  don't  boast  about  our  strengths,  our  moments  of  personal  glory.  Instead,  we  speak  about  our  moments  of  weakness,  ugliness  and  despair.

"Why?

"Because  those  are  the  moments  in  which  God  reveals  His  strength,  His  Grace,  His  Love."

Yeah,  that's  why  we  shouldn't  be  hiding  our  brokenness  and  our  cracks.  Not  just  because  the  people  who  matter  aren't  judging,  as  I've  believed  for  so  long.

But  because  the  God  who  created  us  uses  those  cracks  to  display  His  glory  and  wonder.

And  suddenly,  those  cracks  aren't  marks  of  shame.

Instead,  they  are  an  amazing  part  of  who  I  am.  Of  who  you  are.

An  image  that  worked  it's  way  through  my  journal  entry  was  that  of  a  mosaic.  Here's  where  it  ended  up:

"Do  you  think  that  those  stones  knew  anything  about  what  was  going  on  when  they  were  being  set?  If  they  knew  anything  at  all,  it  was  that  they  were  broken.   They  couldn't  know  that  they  were  being  organized  into  a  beautiful  artwork.  But  that  didn't  negate  the  fact  that  that  is  what  was  happening.

"And  when  you  see  a  mosaic,  do  your  thoughts  immediately  start  praising  the  gloriousness  of  the  stones,  or  you  they  wonder  at  the  skill  of  the  maker.  I  know  what  I  think.  The  skill  of  the  maker  awes  me.

"And  we're  the  same.

"Broken.  Mended  to  a  certain  wonderful  design.  Drawing  attention  to  the  glory  of  the  One  who  fashioned  us  through  the  very  brokenness  we  so  despise about  ourselves.

"We're  not  amazing  in  spite  of  our  brokenness.

"God  has  made  us  amazing  through  our  brokenness  and  His  amazing  Grace.

"There  are  days  I'd  like  to  recreate  my  design,  change  it  to  something  I'd  prefer.

"But,  like  mosaic  stones  trying  to  fashion  themselves, I'd  botch  the  design.

"God's  design  is  so,  so  much  better  than  I  could  imagine.

"And  all  the  cracks  are  filled  with  His  Grace,  Love  and  Joy."

So  why  do  we  try  hiding  them?

1 comment:

  1. Our cracks helps to show others that if God love and accepts them just he will do the same for me. It also helpsfor people to see the glue that holds us together is Christ. Not ourself

    ReplyDelete