Saturday 19 October 2013

My Serenity Prayer

I'm  sure  you're  all  familiar  with  the  words  of  the  Serenity  Prayer.

If  not,  here  they  are:

"God,
Great  me  the  serenity  to  accept  the  things  I  can  not  change,
The  courage  to  change  the  things  I  can,
and  the  wisdom  to  know  the  difference.
Amen"

I'm  speaking  about  these  words  today  because  they  struck  me  afresh  with  new  meaning  when  I  saw  them  at  the  local  Christian  bookshop  this  afternoon.

I  had  stopped  there  on  my  way  home  after  an  emotionally  intense  day  with  some  old  and  some  new  friends  down  where  we  will  be  for  beach  mission  during  the  Christmas/ New  Year  holidays.

I'm  sure  you  remember  my  last  post,  the  one  that  speaks  about  not  wanting  to  let  God  deal  with  my  secret  pain.

Yeah..  arguing  with  God...  not  really  going  to  get  one  anywhere.

This  day  brought  up  my  secret  pain  again,  and  God  pulled  it  out  into  the  open.  Out  into  the  open  where  others,  strong,  beautiful  women  all,  could  see  it.

I  was  thunderstruck  by  their  responses,  and  the  admissions  of  secret  pains  that  came  out  from  most  of  the  rest.

We  all  carry  them.

But  it  highlighted  for  me  just  how  powerful  God  is.

How  His  Love  is  truly  all  encompassing.

How  His  Grace  is  really  all  covering.

It  showed  me  again  that  reliance  on  God  is  truly,  really,  the  only  way  to  Live.

Everything  else  is  just  surviving.

Then,  when  I  walked  into  that  shop  and  saw  those  words,  I  realized  something  about  them  that  I  never  had  before.

Those  words,  they  aren't  just  a  prayer  about  things  out  in  the  world.

They  aren't  simply  a  prayer  about  the  brokenness  of  out  there.

They  are  also  a  prayer  about  the  brokenness  inside.

The  brokenness  in  me.

They  are  a  plea  for  the  serenity  to  accept  the  things  about  oneself  that  can  not  be  changed.

They  are  a  plea  for  the  courage  to  face  and  change  the  things  about  oneself  that  can  be  changed.

And  they  are  a  request  for  the  wisdom  to  know  what  is  what.  What  about  ourselves  are  fundamental  to  who  we  are  and  should  be  embraced,  even  if  we  may  never  be  able  to  love  them  and  what  is  unnecessary  and  can  be  changed.

And  I  realized  they  are  words  I  need  to  pray  about  myself.

I  need  that  serenity...  because,  as  well  as  the  more  superficial  things  about  myself  I  wish  could  be  changed  but  it's  better if  they  aren't,  my  secret  pain  is  not  something  about  me  that  can  be  changed.  Instead,  it  is  something  that  shapes  me  and  is  used  by  God  to  guide  me.  It  was  a  terrible,  horrible  thing  to  happen,  but  God  promises  that  "in  all  things,  God  works  for  the  good  of  those  who  love  Him,  who  have  been  called  according  to  His  purpose"  (Romans  8:28). God  has  already  told  me  how  He  plans  to  use  it  for  good.  It  will  take  me  a  while  to  get  there,  but  I  know  I  can  trust  it  will  be  used  for  God.  I'll  never  be  able  to  love  it.  But  I  need  to  be  able  to  accept  it.

I  also  need  that  courage.  I  need  to  be  able  to  face  that  pain.  But  I  also  need  to  face  the  baggage  it  brings  with  it.  Because  that  can  be  changed.  But  I'm  so  afraid.  So  afraid  I  won't  be  able  to  survive  it.  So,  there  it  is.  I  need  to  trust  God  to  carry  me  through.  And  I  can  trust  God  for  that.  Because  He  has  promised  He  will.  And  He  never  breaks  His  promises.

And  I  also  need  that  wisdom.  I  need  to  know  what  can  be  changed  and  what  can't  be  changed.  Because,  without  that  wisdom,  I'll  never  really  have  that  courage  or  that  serenity.  I  will  constantly  be  wanting  to  change  everything  but  be  too  afraid  to  face  anything.  And,  as  all  wisdom  comes  from  God,  (yep...  you  guessed  it),  I  need  to  fully  trust  God  for  that  too.  But,  you  know  what?  "If  any  of  you  who  lacks  wisdom,  he  should  ask  God,  who  gives  generously  without  finding  fault."  (James 1: 5).

God's  way  is  really  the  only  way.

At  the  beginning  of  the  day, we  had  a  short  Bible  talk.  It  was  on  Gideon.

You  know,  the  scared  young  man  who  was  the  least  of  his  smallest  clan  of  the  tribe  whom  God  used  to  lead  300  men  to  victor  against  untold  numbers  of  the  enemy,  using  only  clay  pots  and  torches.

And  I  realized,  listening  to  our  speaker  emphasizing  that  it  is  God  who  does  the  work,  that  it  is  God  who  takes  our  ordinary,  broken  selves  and  does  extraordinary  things,  well,  I  realized  that  I  can't  do  anything,  anything  at  all  without  God.

I  am  so  broken.

So  weak.

So  incomplete.

And  I  am  so  totally  and  utterly  dependent  on  God.

And  God  will  always,  always,  always,  win  His  battles.

Which  means  that  when  I  wait  on  God,  when  I  rest  on  Him  and  in  His  strength,  I  will  not  simply  pull  through  my  life.

I  will  not  simply  survive.

I  will  thrive.

And  I  will  "mount  up  on  wings  as  eagles,  [I]  shall  run  and  not  grow  weary,  [I]  shall  walk  and  not  grow  faint".

However  worn  out,  tired  and  battle  fatigued  I  may  feel,  the  truth  will  always  be  that  I  am  always  held  by  God.  Always  loved  by  God.  Always  protected  by  God.

So,  here's  an  adaption  of  the  Serenity  Prayer  that  I  am  praying.  It  is  my  Serenity  Prayer:

"Father  God,  Abba,

I  know  you  know  the  plans  you  have  for  me.  I  know  that  they  are  plans  to  prosper  me,  not  to  harm  me  (Jeremiah  29:11).  But,  Father,  I  struggle  with  what  that  plan  has  involved  and  I  struggle  with  parts  of  me.  At  times,  I  even  hate  it,  hate  myself  for  it.

Please,  grant  me  the  serenity  to  accept  those  things  that  I  can  not  change.  I  know  that  in  all  things  you  work  for  the  good  of  those  who  love  you  (Romans  8:28),  and  I  love  you  dearly.  You  are  my  Abba,  my  Daddy.  So  help  me  to  accept  those  things  you  have  given  me  that  I  struggled  to  accept.

And  Dad?  Will  you  please  grant  me  the  courage  to  change  those  things  that  I  can  change?  You  are  my  rock,  my  fortress,  my  deliverer;  the  One  in  whom  I  take  refuge.  You  are  my  strength  and  the  horn  of  my  salvation,  my  stronghold.  I  call  to  you,  who  are  worthy  of  praise,  and  I  am  saved  from  my  enemies  (Psalm  18: 2-3),  and  some  times,  those  enemies  include  myself.  Those  parts  of  me  that  are  ugly  and  unnecessary.  Help  me  to  face  them  and  to  change  them.

As  well  as  that,  Father,  please  grant  me  the  wisdom  to  know  the  difference.  To  know  how  to  walk  in  your  ways  through  my  life  and  what  I  should  change  and  what  I  should  accept.  I  know  you  give  of  it  generously  without  finding  fault.  Especially  to  those  who  trust  in  you  (James  1: 5 - 6).

And  finally,  please  grant  me  the  trust  to  depend  on  you  completely.  Your  understanding  is  so  much  greater  than  mine  and  I  know  you  will  make  my  paths  straight  (Proverbs 3: 5 - 6).  You  are  trustworthy  and  dependably...  so  much  more  than  any  other  I  know.  Without  you,  I  am  nothing.

In  the  name  of  the  One  who  demonstrated  your  Love  and  walks  beside  me,
Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment