Monday 21 October 2013

The Lord gives, the Lord takes, but in all things, He is Good

I'll  be  honest,  I  was  about  to  head  to  bed,  not  write  anything  today  and  just  sleep.

But  just  as  I  was  doing  my  last  scroll  down  my  Facebook  newsfeed,  this  link  caught  my  eye.

The  title  was  "I'm  a  Christian,  and  my  house  just  burned  down".

Now,  for  those  of  you  who  don't  know,  a  lot  of  NSW,  where  I'm  currently  living,  has  been  ravished  by  horrendous  bushfires.  This  article  was  the  reflections  of  a  Christian  whose  house  had  been  destroyed  by  the  flames.  I hope  you'll  go  read  it  yourself,  it  is  well  worth  the  read,  and  I'm  sure  it  will  challenge  you  greatly.

I  certainly  was.

As  I  read,  the  lyrics  to  Matt  Redman's  Blessed  Be  Your  Name  kept  swimming  through  my  mind.

Here's  the  song:

 
The  lyrics  are  in  that  clip,  but  I  want  to  draw  your  attention  to  some  of  them:
 
"blessed  be  your  name,
in  the  land  that  is  plentiful,
where  your  streams  of  abundance  flow,
blessed  be  your  name.
 
"Blessed  be  your  name,
when  I'm  found  in  the  desert  place,
when  I  walk  through  the  wilderness,
blessed  be  your  name.
 
"Every  blessing  you  pour  out,
I'll  turn  back  to  praise.
When  the  darkness  closes  in,  Lord,
still  I  will  say:
 
"Blessed  be  the  name  of  the  Lord,
blessed  be  your  name,
blessed  be  the  name  of  the  Lord,
blessed  be  your  glorious  name!"


And  I  felt  the  challenge,  the  question,  that  God  was  putting  to  me  in  that  instance.

"Can  you  truly  say:  'the  Lord  gives,  the  Lord  takes,  but  I  believe  in  the  good,  the  bad,  and  the  ugly  that  God  does  not  change.  He  is  still  good,  still  powerful  and  still  worthy  of  praise.'?"

Sitting  in  my  house,  reflecting  on  everything  I  have  gone  through,  every  thing  I  am  facing  and  tracing  God's  goodness  to  me  in  everything,  I  find  it  easy  to  say  that  yes,  God  is  good.

Yes,  He  is  worthy  of  praise.

Come  on,  He's  God!

He  is  the  Maker  of  Heaven  and  Earth.

And  even  in  the  bad,  His  glory  and  goodness  does  not  change.

But  then  I  can't  help  but  wonder:  the  last  time  I  lost  everything,  I  blamed  God.  Would  I  do  the  same  if  I  lost  everything  now?

Do  I  honestly,  truly,  primally,  fundamentally  believe  that  God  is  good?

Is  it  a  truth  that  I have  allowed  to  fully  sink  into  my  soul  and  grip  me  with  the  conviction  of  it?

Or  is  it  still  something  that  my  head  knows,  but  my  heart  doesn't?

Is  my  faith  still  on  the  shifting  sand  of  my  circumstances  or  on  the  rock  of  the  Truth  of  who  God  is?

I  pray  that  when  the  trials  hit,  I  will  still  be  able  to  sing,  with  gusto,  Blessed  Be  Your  Name,  because  He  is  the  God  and  He  is  worthy  of  Praise.

The  Lord  gives,  the  Lord  takes,  but  in  all  things,  He  is  Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment