Tuesday 29 October 2013

Even Paul got Scared

Yeah,  I  figured  I'd  plunge  straight  in  with  the  title.

It  could  have  been  "A  Message  from  Acts  to  my  Heart",  but  the  reading  of  it  was  so  blunt  and  so  sudden  that  the  title  of  this post  had  to  be  as  well.

So,  yeah,  I  was  finishing  off  with  Acts  last  night,  something  like  10  chapters  in  one  hit.

It  was  gripping  stuff.  Really  gripping  stuff.

I'm  not  being  sarcastic.

And  it  was  in  chapter  18  that  the  surprise  came,  that  very  out of  place  verse  that  had  me  exclaiming  to  my  sister.

Just  to  give  you  some  context:

Paul  is  in  Corinth  and  everything  is  going  well.  He's  been  preaching  the  word,  and,  sure,  the  Jews  haven't  been  overly  receptive,  but  the  gentiles  have  been.  Verses  7  and  8,  people  are  being  believing  the  good  news  and  being  baptized.

Then,  all  of  a  sudden,  out  of  no  where,  verses  9  and  10:

"One  night  the  Lord  spoke  to  Paul  in  a  vision  and  told  him, 'don't  be  afraid!  Speak  out!  Don't  be  silent!  For  I  am  with  you,  and  no  one  will  attack  and  harm  you,  for  many  people  in  this  city  belong  to  me.' "

The  next  verse  tells  us  that  he  spent  the  next  year  and  a  half  working  there.

Surprised,  I  read  it  again.

Then  out  loud,  to  my  sister.

Why  had  God  felt  the  need  to  tell  Paul  not  to  be  afraid?  Why  had  He  thought  it  necessary  to  encourage  Paul  to  keep  doing  what  Paul  obviously  loves  to  do?

The  only  answer  that  seemed  to  make  sense  both  surprised  me  and  made  Paul  more...  human.

Because  the  only  reason  I  could  think  of  for  God  saying  this  to  Paul  is  that  Paul  sometimes  got  scared.  That  Paul  sometimes  got  discouraged.  That  Paul  sometimes  needed  reminding  about  why  he  was  doing  what  he  was  doing.

And  there  is  something  very  comforting  about  realizing  that.

Paul  has  always  loomed  in  my  mind  as  the  "great  evangelist",  able  to  face  riots  and  stoning  and  rejection  and  ship  wrecks  and  all  the  rest  of  it  without  ever  once  flinching,  without  being  afraid  or  uncertain.

So  often  I  have  heard,  and  have  thought,  that  refrain  "I  could  never  be  like  Paul."

I  could  never  tell  strangers  about  God.

I  could  never  speak  the  Gospel  even  with  the  threat  of  torture  hanging  over  my  head.

I  could  never  do  the  things  Paul  did  because  he's  Paul  and  he's  larger  than  life.

And  sure,  there  are  certain  things  Paul  did  that  I  will  never  be  able  to  do.  For  instance,  I  am  100%  certain  that  none  of  my  writings  will  ever  be  included  as  Scriptures  and  passed  down  through  the  centuries,  dissected  and  treasured  by  many.  But...  did  Paul  actually  know  he  was  writing  Scripture  when  he  penned  (or  dictated)  all  his  epistles?  I  doubt  it.  Somehow,  I  think  he  was  only  thinking  to  encourage,  rebuke,  correct  and  guide  fellow  believers.  And  there  is  no  reason  why  I  can't  do  that.

But  the  rest  of  it...  there  is  no  reason  why  I  can't  do  the  things  Paul  did.

Because  if  there  is  one  thing  this  verse  reveals  to  me  it  is  that  Paul  didn't  do  any  of  the  incredible  things  he  did  on  his  own  strength.  And  I  guess  I've  known  that,  just  not  realized.

He  did  it  all  on  God's  strength.  He  did  it  because  many  of  the  people  he  met  belonged  to  God  and  needed  him  to  tell  them.  He  did  it  because  God  was  with  him.  He  did  it  because  of  God.

And  I  suddenly  feel  like  less  of  a  failure,  and  Paul  suddenly  seems  more  life  sized,  and  part  of  me  begins  to  see  that  actually...  actually  I  can  be  as  bold  and  as  selfless  as  Paul.

Because  Paul  was  sustained  and  lifted  up  and  motivated  by  someone  bigger  and  more  powerful  that  himself.  He  was  carried  by  God.

And  that  same  God  carries  me.

So  how  dare  I  whine  that  I'm  not  Paul  and  act  as  though  that's  a  good  enough  reason  to  stay  quiet?

No comments:

Post a Comment