Friday 1 November 2013

Motivated by?

I've  been  doing  a  lot  of  thinking  recently.

Being  an  introvert,  most  of  that  thinking  has  been  cross-examining  myself.

More  specifically,  cross-examining  my  motives  for  doing  things.

I'm  not  100%  certain  why  it  came  up.  The  niggling  suspicion  that  my  motives  are  not  entirely  pure  has  been  eating  away  at  me.

Today,  as  I  sat  in  a  study  room  and  scratched  away in  my  journal,  I  asked  myself  two  questions:  am  I  motivated  by  love  for  God?  Or  am  I  motivated  by  a  desire  to  impress  other  people?

It  was  extremely  depressing  to  realize  that  whilst  I  could  say  that  yes,  I  am  motivated  by  a  love  for  God,  I  also  had  to  say  that  yes,  I  am  motivated  by  a  desire  to  impress  other  people  as  well.

Which,  of  course,  means  my  motivations  are  very,  very  impure  and  make  my  actions  despicable.

The  first  thought  I  had  was  that  I  was  being  a  little  bit  too  hard  on  myself.

I'm  only  a  human.  I  can't  be  perfect,  right?

Yes,  right.  I  can't  be  perfect,  I  will  never  be  perfect  for  as  long  as  I  walk  this  earth.

But  then  I  remembered  everything  that  Jesus  said  to  the  Pharisees  about  being  hypocrites  and  far  from  God.

They  paraded  their  good  deeds  around  like  a  badge  and  thought  that  made  them  right  with  God.

I  am  sure  that  many  Pharisees  did  also  desire  to  please  God,  but  that  didn't  negate  the  fact  that  they  were  also  trying  to  impress  others.

Throughout  the  Old  Testament,  I  have  seen  God  saying  over  and  over  again  that  sacrifices  offered  out  of  duty  and  a  desire  to  impress  others  with  ones  offering  are  contemptible  and  to  be  rejected.

God  would  much,  much,  much  rather  have  a  contrite  heart  that  loves  Him  to  the  flashy  displays  of  love  designed  to  impress  Him.

Another  problem,  I  soon  realized,  with  being  motivated,  even  in  part,  by  a  desire  to  impress  others  was  this:  how  can  anyone  who  wishes  to  impress others  truly  serve  God?

For  starters,  the  opinions  of  humans  are  so  consistently  changing.  Humans,  and  our  opinions  with  us,  are  like  a  morning  mist.  We  are  moved  by  the  wind for  a  little  while,  then  burnt  up  by  the  sun.

So  if  my  "acts  of  service"  depend  on  the  opinions  of  others,  the  "acts  of  service"  will  be  constantly  changing,  both  in  nature  and  in  depth.

As  well  as  this,  the  focus  of  these  "acts  of  service"  will  be  other  people,  not  God.  Which,  rather  automatically,  means  it  is  not  a  service  to  God.

Please,  don't  read  me  wrong,  there  is  nothing  wrong  with  serving  other  people.  BUT  the  focus  of  this  service  has  to  be  GOD.

This,  I  think,  means  keeping  in  mind  what  Jesus  says  in  Matthew  25: 34 - 40:

"Then  the  King  will  say  to  those  on  His  right 'come,  you  who  are  blessed  by  my  Father,  inherit  the  Kingdom  prepared  for  you  from  the  creation  of  the  world.  For  I was  hungry  and you  fed  me.  I  was  thirsty  and  you  gave  me  a  drink.  I  was  a  stranger  and  you  invited  me  into  your  home.  I  was  naked,  and  you  gave  be  clothing.  I  was  sick  and  you  cared  for  me.  I  was  in  prison,  and you  visited  me.'

"Then  these  righteous  ones  will  reply  'Lord,  when  did  we  ever  see  you  hungry  and  feed  you?  Or  thirsty  and  give  you  something  to  drink?  Or  a  stranger  and  show  you  hospitality?  Or  naked  and  give  you  clothing?  When  did  we  ever  see  you  sick  or  in  prison  and  visit  you?'

"And  the  King  will  say  'I  tell  you  the  truth,  when  you  did  it  to  one  of  the  least  of  these  my  brothers  and  sisters,  you  were  doing  it  to  me!' "

In  means  realizing  that  whenever  I  do  an  act  of  service,  I'm  doing  it  because  I  realize  that  those  I  am  serving  are  God's  children  and  are  made  in  the  image  of  God.

I  should  be  serving  others  because,  by  doing  so,  I  am  serving  God,  not  because  I  will  impress  others.

And  I  should  be  serving  God  not  to  get  into  His  good  books,  but  because  I  love  Him.

And  I  love  Him  because  He  is  God  and  He  is  worthy  and  entitled  to  that  love.

Jesus  came  to  do  away  with  religion.

I've  also  known  that  meant  the  religion  that  does  in  order  to  earn  salvation.  But  I  now  I  think  religion  is  even  broader  than  that:  religion  is  also  something  that  does  in  order  to  impress  other  humans.

And  really,  how  meaningless  is  that?

And  so  I  pray,  I  pray  very  fervently,  that  God  will  give  me  a  heart  that  serves  purely  because  I  love  Him.

And  I  also  pray  an  abundance  of  thanksgiving  because  I  won't  be  able  to  do  that  perfectly,  but  every  time  I  have  failed  and  will  fail  is  covered  by  Jesus'  death  on  the  cross  2000  years  ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment