Saturday 9 November 2013

Thanksgiving #47 - Puffs of florr, egg spills, and yummy goodness

So,  yesterday  afternoon,  after  I  finished  my  exam,  I  came  home  via  the  shops,  grabbing  some  cake  mixes  and  some  eggs.

I  was  so  excited!  After  a  week  of  stressing  and  exams,  I  was  going  to  spend  my  afternoon  doing  one  of  the  things  I  love  most  -  baking!

I  love  it  so  much.

I  love  measuring  ingredients,  I  love  mixing  ingredients,  I  love  "taste-testing"  the  mixture,  I  love  putting  the  mixture  into  whatever  cooking  container  is  necessary  to  bake  it  in,  sliding  it  into  the  oven,    waiting  while  the  house  slowly  fills  of  the  delicious  smells  of  whatever  is  baking,  and  then  eating  a  little  bit  of  whatever  was  baked  just  after  it  has  come  out  of  the  oven.

Most  of  all,  I  love  sharing  what  I  have  baked  with  other  people  and  watching  their  reactions  of  enjoyment  and  delight.

And,  yesterday,  I  had  the  joy  of  baking  25  strawberry  cupcakes  in  order  to  share  later  today  at  the  wedding  of  some  very  dear  friends  of  mine.

I  had  so  much  fun.

And  I  realized,  I  am  so  grateful  that  I  am  able  to  cook.

First  of  all,  I  am  grateful  that  I  personally  have  the  capability  of  preparing  good  food  for  people  to  enjoy.

I  am  grateful  that  I  have  the  wide  range  of  ingredients  at  my  disposal  that  I  do.

I  am  grateful  for  packet  mixes,  because  they  mean  I  can  still  bake  even  if  I  don't  have  hours  to  spend  on  it.

I  am  so  very  thankful  for  my  nose  and  sense  of  smell,  and  for  my  tastebuds,  because  it  means  I  can  enjoy  the  smell  and  taste  of  my  food.

And  I  am  very  grateful  that  God  decided  food  should  smell  and  taste  good.

And  sure,  baking  can  make  a  mess.  Especially  when  a  complicated  recipe  is  in  use.

Sure  the  bench  can  end  up  covered  with  drops  of  eggs,  puffs  of  flour,  spills  of  sugar,  splashes  of  melted  chocolate,  smears  of  margarine  and  eggshells.  And  sure  my  hands  can  get  stick  and  my  cheek  caked  with  a  but  of  dough  and  my  clothes  covered with  floor.

But  somehow,  the  fun  and  delight  of  baking  for  others  makes  all  that  mess  not  only  unimportant  but  a  joy  -  even  if  I  do  whine  about having  to  clean  it  up!

And  so,  today,  with  Christmas  on  the  47th  day  from  now,  I  just  want  to  take  a  moment  to  thank  God  for  baking  and baked  goods.

And  keep  an  eye  out  for  news  and  celebrations  of the  wedding!!

No comments:

Post a Comment