Tuesday 12 November 2013

God is a Holy God (and thanksging #44 - God is a loving God)

So,  after  my  maths  exam  today,  I  popped  down  to  the  local  Christian  book  shop.  My  intention  was  to  pick  up  Warren  W.  Wiersbe's  BE  commentary  on  Isaiah  in  order  to  use  it  for  my  devotions.  Unfortunately,  the  didn't  have  the  Isaiah  one  in,  so,  instead,  I  picked  up  the  one  on  Leviticus.

I  decided  that  to  do  my  devotions  and  then  launch  into  study  for  my  Biology  exam  tomorrow  afternoon.  I  had  just  finished  reading  the  introduction  for  the  first  chapter  of  the  book  (not  the  Bible  book,  the  commentary  book)  when  the  first  sentence  of  the  next  section  arrested  my  attention:

"Contrary  to  what  you  may  hear  today  in  some  sermons  and  popular  religious  songs,  the  emphasis  in  the  Bible  is  on  the  holiness  of  God  and  not  on  the  love  of  God."

I  was,  needless  to  say,  I  little  surprised  by  that  sentence.  I  re-read  it  a  few  times  while  thinking  it  through.

I  realised  the  most  surprising  part  of  that  sentence  wasn't  the  fact  that  the  Bible  focuses  on  God's  holiness  more  than  His  love,  but  the  implications  that  this  isn't  how  the  church  and  Christian  pop  culture  (if  such  a  thing  can  be  said)  portrays  it.

Then  I  realised  it  is  true.

It's  not  that  anything  explicitly  teaches  that  God's  love  is  more  central  to  the  Bible  and  who  God  is  than  His  holiness,  but  that  it  is  implied  through  the  focus  of  evangelical  Christianity  being  on  God's  love  and  not  on  His  holiness.

I  have  lost  track  of  the  number  of  talks  I  have  heard  emphasize  that  fact  that  we  are  sinful  but  God  loves  us  and  so  He  saves  us,  but  I  can  count  on  one  hand  the  number  of  talks  I  have  heard  that  emphasize  the  reality  of  God's  holiness.

And  sure,  God's  holiness  is  implicit  in  the  very  definition  of  sin,  but  it  is  very,  very,  very  rarely  explicity  discussed.

And  this  has  some  terrible  ramifications  to  our  faith  and  our  attitudes  towards  salvation.

Just  think,  some  of  the  most  frequently  asked  questions  about  the  Christian  faith  are  "if  God  is  so  loving,  why  does  He  punish  people?"  and  "what  do  you  mean  'only  one  way  to  God'?  That's  awfully  arrogant.  There  must  be  other  ways."  and  "I'm  better  than  them,  surely  God  will  save  me?"

Anyone  else  seeing  what  is  going  on  here?

Yes,  it  is  true  that  God  is  loving,  more  than  that,  He  is  love,  but  in  the  rush  to  reassure  the  world  that  there  is  a  solution  to  their  problem  (this  love)  we  have  failed  to  fully  explain  what  our  problem  is.

Yes,  we  can  explain  sin.  But  is  sin  really  so  bad  if  we  don't  hold  in  our  minds  just  who  it  is  we're  sinning  against?

God's  mercy  and  grace  suddenly  make  a  whole  lot  more  sense  when  we  realise  just  how  holy  He  is.  When  we  realise  the  extent  of  His  Holiness.

And  I'm  not  talking  about  the  "holiness:  an  absence  of  sins",  I'm  talking  about  a  holiness  that  is  living  and  active  righteousness.

God's  holiness  is  not  a  negative,  a  lack  of  sin,  but  a  postive,  a  presence  of  perfection,  goodness  and  purity.

So,  yeah,  all  of  a  sudden  the  fact  that  good  enough  is  not  actually  good  enough,  and  we  deserve  punishment  and  there  is  only  one  way  to  God  make  a  lot  more  sense.

And,  in  fact,  I  would  say  it  makes  that  last  one  "there  is  only  one  way"  absolutely  incredible.

And  I  can't  help  but  wonder  is  this  what  we  lose  when  our  devotions  shelves  at  our  Christian  bookshops  are  filled  with  comforting  titles  like  "Hope  for  the  Hurting"  (which  is  good  and  true,  but  only  part  of  the  story)?

Have  we  lost  this  really,  deep  understanding  of  God's  holiness?

I  think  we  have.  And  I  think  the  cost  of  that  is  we  lose  a  true  understanding  of  God's  love.  Of  the  absolute  depth  and  purity  of  His  Love  and  Mercy.

When  we  forget  just  how  Holy  God  is,  when  we  forget  the  extent  of  His  Holiness,  we  start  to  feel  entitled.

More  than  that,  as  Augustus  H.  Strong  once  said  (Wiersbe  quotes  him)  "Love  is  central  in  god,  but  Holiness  is  central  in  love."

So,  my  friends,  don't  forget  God's  love,  don't  do  away  with  it,  but  let's  bring  back  the  focus  and  understanding  of  God's  holiness.  Let's  seek  the  depths  of  God's  heart  by  seeking  an  understanding  of  His  holiness.  A  great  place  to  start  is  your  Bible!

And  so,  for  my  thanksgiving  point,  Weirsbe  makes  the  comment  that  "Love  without  holiness  would  be  a  monstrous  thing  that  could  destroy  God's  perfect  Law,  while  holiness  without  love  would  leave  no  hope  for  the  lost  sinner."  I  give  thanks  that  God  is  a  both  a  holy  God,  and  a  Loving  God.  And  I  give  thanks  for  the  salvation  He  us  offered  to  us  in  His  Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment