Monday 11 November 2013

Some Reflections, One Resolution and Thanksgiving #45

So,  between  the  wedding  on  Saturday,  this  awesome  post  by  my  friend  Mel,  the  run  of  the  mill  jokes  at  school  and  the  shows  that  I  have  on  my  list  of  things  to  watch  following  the  completion  of  my  exams  (just  one  week  left!),  relationships,  romance  and  love  has  been  coming  up  a  lot.

And  I  mean,  a  lot.

It  seems  like  everywhere  I  look,  people  are  falling  in  love  (with  the  exception  of  Mel,  who  has  made  an  awesome  decision  -  go  read  that  post!  Also,  you  go,  girl!)  and  starting  or  continuing  romantic  relationships.

Which  is  awesome  and  all,  but  it  has  got  me  thinking  about  that  kind  of  thing.  And  what  my  attitude  is  going  to  be  about  it  once  I  finish  with  high  school  forever!

One  of  the  things  I've  realized,  and  I  said  as  much  at  youth  group  on  Friday,  that  the  amount  of  romance  I  have  been  seeing  has  been  making  me  less  content  with  being  single.  Making  it  harder  to  celebrate  the  fact  that  at  this  moment  in  time,  God  has  given  me  the  incredible  gift  of  singleness  and  easier  to  wonder  why  I  don't  have  that  special  someone  (which  is  silly  seeing  as  how  much  of  my  life  I  have  left!).

This  question  is  made  even  more  pertinent  (the  first  one  about  my  attitude)  by  the  fact  that  I  will  soon  be  18,  which  is  the  age  I  have  always  said  I  will  start  considering  the  possibility  of  dating.

Mel's  post  (if  you  haven't  already  -  go  read!)  gave  me  a  lot  to  think  about.

Now,  my  starting  attitude  is  slightly  different  to  hers.  I'm  coming  more  from  the  it-would-be-nice-to-have-a-boyfriend-but-honestly-I-don't-need-or-particularly-want-one  camp  (yay  for  long  words!).  Still,  that  is  something that  could  very  easily  change  next  year  as  I  meet  new  guys.  Plus,  even  coming  from  that  camp,  I  still  have  moments  with  most  of  the  guys  I've  come  across  where  I  stop  and  analyse  whether  or  not  I  would  want  to  date  them  (so  when  I  say  I  wouldn't  date  someone,  I  honestly  would  not  date  them).

Still,  what  she  was  talking  about  was  still  challenging.

The  question  I  then  asked  myself  was:  am  I  ready  to  consider  being  in  a  relationship?

After  some  reflection  (it  didn't  take  long)  I  decided  that  no,  I  wasn't.

Sure,  it  would  be  lovely  to  be  in  a  relationship  with a  guy  who  I  can  hug  when  I'm  having  a  rough  day,  or  who'll  come  over  and  do  random  stuff  with  just  because,  and  someone  who  can  lead  me  and  guide  me  closer  to  God.  BUT,  I  am  not  yet  ready  for  that.

See,  the  thing  is,  I'm  not  yet  at  that  point  where  I  am  so  deeply  in  love  with  God  that  He  will  remain  the  centre  of  my  relationship  and  my  life.  At  this  point  in  time,  it  would  be  far  too  easy  for  me  to  start  idolizing  the  guy  and  not  my  God.

And  that  is,  for  me,  a  big  no-no.

God,  and  God  alone,  has  the  right  to  the  centerpiece  of  my  life.  He,  and  He  alone,  as  the  right  to  be  Master  and  Ruler  of  my  heart.

Besides,  He  is  awesome  and  wonderful  and  incredible,  and  why  would  I  want  to  love  anyone  else  more  than  Him?

As  well  as  this,  a  secondary  point,  my  character  is  not  yet  ready  to  act  as  the  woman  in  a  romance.  I  still  have  a  lot  of  growth  ahead  of  me  before  I  am  ready  to  be  the  kind  of  woman  who  can  unconditionally  love  and  support  a  man.  Don't  read  that  wrong  -  I'm  not  waiting  to  be  perfect!  I  just  now  that  at  the  moment,  I  am  not  ready  for  it.

So,  I  have  decided  on  this:

Next  year,  I  am  planning  to  do  Year  13,  an  awesome  gap  year  program  that  involves  Bible  study  and  ministry.  I  am  going  to  devote  that  year  to  developing  my  relationship  with  God.

There  will  be  no  development  of  romantic  relationships  in  that  year.

The  focus  will  be  on  falling  deeper  in  love  with  GOD  and  building  friendships  with  the  people  I  meet.

If  any  guy  wants  to  date  me,  I'm  sorry  in  advance  to  him  (chances  are,  admittedly,  slim),  but  the  answer  is  no.

And  I  figure,  if  he  is  the  right  guy,  or  is  serious  about  pursuing  and  caring  for  my  heart,  then  he'll  not  only  be  willing  to  wait,  but  will  also  support  me  in  my  decision  and  be  happy  to  just  be  my  friend  (should  this  scenario  happen,  I  have  some  close  girlfriends  that  I  will  ask  to  help  keep  me  accountable  to  the  boundaries  that  will  be  established).

The  important  thing  for  me  next  year,  is  to  fall  in  love  with  God.  To  grow  as  His  child  and  to  bring  Him  honour.

The  purpose  is  not  to  prepare  myself  for  romance,  rather,  I  have  decided  to  abstain  from  romance  in  order  to  focus  on  the  far  more  important  Love  of  my  Life.

And  I  ask  all  you  who  read  this  post  to  hold  me  accountable  to  this.  To  challenge  me  if  a  relationship  starts  to  develop,  to  slap  me  if  I  ignore  your  challenge,  and  to  be  challenging  me  about  my  relationship  with  God.  The  last  thing  I  want  to  do  is  get  complacent!

At  the  end  of  next  year,  I'll  probably  revisit  the  question  and  decide  whether  I  wish  to  keep  abstaining  from  romance  or  will  be  open  to  the  possibility  of  a  relationship.

So  check  in  with  me  then  to  find  out!

Also,  I've  just  realized  that  I  haven't  continued  with  the  thought  about  contentment  in  singleness - being  purposeful  about  being  single  will,  I  am  certain,  help  me  with  it.  Also,  if  I  find  myself  getting  too  discontent,  well,  bye-bye  romcoms  for  a  while!

And  now,  on  a  completely  unrelated  note  -  my  thanksgiving  point!  Christmas  is  on  the  45th  day  from  now!

So,  today  I  am  very  thankful  for  the  exams  I  sat.  They  had  the  potential  to  be  absolutely  devastating,  and,  praise  the  Lord,  the  weren't!  Still  my  worst  exams  in  this  lot  to  date,  but  they  were  not  devastating,  which  gives  me  great  hope  as  they  are  the  ones  I  feared  the  most  (short  of  tomorrow  morning's  exam).

So,  thank  God  that  the  exams  were  good  and  I  was  able  to  recall  most  of  what  I  had  learnt.  It  is  such  a  weight  off  my  shoulders!  Only  6  left  now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment