Friday 8 November 2013

Thanksgiving #48 - For roofs, carpets, windows, doors and porcelain bowls

I  was  sitting  in  chapel  listening  to  the  team  who  went  to  Nepal  in  the  last  holidays.

They  worked  at  a  school  hidden  away  in  the  mountains,  fitting  in  roofs,  building  a  retaining  wall,  and  going  to  toilets  in  holes  in  the  ground.

They  showed  pictures.  Pictures  of  bare  concrete  floors  and  walls,  half  covered  roofs  and  holes  for  windows  and  no  lights.

And  I  looked  around  the  theatre  I  was  sitting  in.  At  the  rows  of  cushioned  seats,  and  high  ceilings  and  paneled  walls  and  carpeted  floors  and  rows  of  lights.

And  I  realized  how  blessed  I  am.  I  live  in  the  lap  of  luxury.

I  live  in  a  house  with  four  bedrooms;  two  bathrooms;  French  doors  opening  onto  a  courtyard;  a  swimming  pool;  windows;  air  con;  running  water,  both  hot  and  cold;  consistent  electricity;  flushing  toilets;  fridge  and  freezer;  fresh  food;  and  so  many  more  luxuries.

And  so,  today,  my  thanksgiving  point  is  simple:  I  thank  God  for  the  roof  over  my  head,  the  bed  in  which  I  sleep,  and  all  the  little  luxuries  I  take  for  granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment