Sunday 17 November 2013

Thanksgiving #39 - Lazy Days and Games' Nights (a Sabbath day)

Yesterday,  I  had  a  lazy  day.

My  first  real  lazy  day  in  a  long  time.

And  it  felt  good.

It  felt  very,  very  good.

Admittedly,  in  the  morning  it  was  kind  of  forced  on  me  due  to  me  not  feeling  very  well,  but  it  was  still  very  good.

Essentially,  I  spent  the  majority  of  my  day  lying  on  the  sofa  wrapped  in  my  bedding  and  watching  through  Once  Upon  a  Time  with  my  sister.  And  not  feeling  guilty  about  it  because  I've  only  got  2  exams  (one  subject)  left  to  go,  and  half  a  week  to  study  for  it.

In  the  evening,  after  dinner,  I  headed  to  church  with  the  sister,  where  "just  one  hour"  turned  into  three  and  a  half  hours  of  board  games,  laughter,  chatting  and  cleaning  with  some  friends.

Yesterday  was,  not  just  lazy,  but  relaxing.

And  it  has  been  obvious  to  all  today,  that  I  am  much  more  relaxed  than  I  have  been.  So  many  people  have  commented  that  I'm  walking  taller  and  look  like  a  weight  has  been  lifted  from  my  shoulders.

I  feel  so  much  readier  to  face  my  day  than  I  have  been  for  a  while.  I  wasn't  intending  to  get  up  until  8,  but  at  7:24  I  was  up  and  ready  to  go.

Oh,  the  difference  that  taking  a  day  off  can  make!

And  this  has  been  something  that  keeps  coming  up.  This  concept  of  "taking  a  break".

It's  so  easy  not  to  do  that.  So  easy  to  keep  on  going.  Because,  you  know  what?  It's  never  finished.

The  To-do  list  never  gets  shorter.  Ever.

The  world  never  slows  down.

If  anything,  it  just  speeds  up.

And  up.  And  up.

And,  I  think  I've  spoken  about  this  before,  but  it  was  pointed  out  to  me,  and  I  have  since  pointed  it  out  to  others.

So  often  we  think  that  taking  a  break  is  selfish.

That  just  stopping  and  saying  "no"  to  others  is  self-serving  and  unloving.

But...  God  commands  us  to  take  a  rest.

I'll  repeat  that:  God  commands  us  to  take  a  rest.

It  isn't  a  mild  suggestion. It  isn't  a  "well...   if  you  really  must...  but  it  would  be  so  much  better  if  you  could..."

It  is  a  command.

The  Sabbath  day...  so  many  times  He  orders  us  to  keep  it  Holy.  It  can  even  be  found  on  the  10  Commandments.

Go,  take  a  look.  It's  right  there.  Exodus  chapter  20.  Verse  number  8.  The  fourth  command:  "remember  the  Sabbath  day  by  keeping  it  Holy."

Now,  I  want  to  make  myself  very  clear,  I  am  by  no  means  advocating  doing  no  work  at  all.  The  Bible  makes  it  so  clear  that  laziness  leads,  quite  rightfully,  to  ruin.  It  is  dishonouring  to  God  and  foolish  way  to  live.

But  keeping  the  Sabbath  honours  God.  Not  just  by  the  fact  that  you  are  taking  a  break,  but  by  the  work  ethic  and  routine  it  helps  us  establish  and  maintain.

Look  at  Exodus  20: 9 - 10.

"Six  days  you  shall  labour  and  do  all  your  work,  but  the  seventh  day  is  a  Sabbath  to  the  Lord  your  God."

Six  days  of  work,  than  a  day  of  rest  so  that  you  can  be  ready  and  able  to  do  the  next  six  days.

Is  taking  a  rest  selfish?  No!

In  fact,  I  would  say  that  not  taking  the  rest  is  selfish.

Seriously.  What  motivates  someone  to  keep  going?

A  guilty  conscience.  We  keep  working  because  we  don't  like  that sense  of  guilt,  that  feeling  of  "but  it's  going  to  keep  piling  up  on  me,  I'm  just  going  to  have  more  to  do  later  if  I  stop  now."  You  get  the  picture?

We  aren't  really  motivated  by  a  desire  to  serve  and  love.  We  are  motivated  by  the  thought  that  it  will  be  worse  if  we  don't.  Well,  at  least,  that's  the  case  for  me.

So  we  push  ourselves  until  the  bags  under  ours  eyes  reach  the  floor,  our  bodies  give  way,  and  our  emotions  fly  out  all  over  the  place,  and  start  to  maim  and  hurt  other  people.

Real  loving  thing,  huh?

But  resting...  well,  I've  found  it  is  not  only  easier,  but  also  much  more  natural  for  me  to  reach  out  to  others  and  see  how  they  are  doing.  I  can  spend  longer  hours  caring  for  the  needs  of  other.  But  only  after  I've  rested.

And  do  you  know  how  important  this  Sabbath  is  to  the  Lord?

Important  enough  that  the  commands  He  gives  Israel  regarding  farming  and  the  care  of  the  land  also  followed  this  pattern.  For  6  years  they  were  to  grow  crops  and  work  the  land.  On  the  seventh  year,  they  were  to  eat  stored  grain  and  leave  the  land  alone.  The  land  was  to  have  a  Sabbath  every  seventh  year.  And  this  was  important  enough  that  God  punished  them  for  not  doing  it  by  exiling  them.  It  wasn't  the  only  sin  they  were  being  punished  for,  but  in  Isaiah,  it  is  mentioned  multiple  times,  and  He  mentions  it  in  the  second  half  of  Leviticus  26.

Important  enough  that  the  commands  He  gave  Israel  regarding  the  treatment  of  slaves  a  servants  also  followed  this  pattern. For  6  years  a  bondservant  (slave)  served  their  master,  and  on  the  seventh  year  they  were  freed,  unless  they  chose  to  stay.

Yep.  It's  important.

But  do  you   know  what  else  the  Exodus  passage  tells  us  about  the  Sabbath?

Well,  it  gives  us  an  example,  a  model  to  follow,  if  you  will.  Which  is  this:  "For  in  six  days,  the  Lord  made  the  heavens  and  the  earth,  the  sea  and  all  that  is  in  them,  but  He  rested  on  the  seventh  day.  Therefore,  the  Lord  blessed  the  Sabbath  day  and  made  it  holy."  (v  11)

Did  you  get  that?

God  doesn't  just  command  a  day  of  rest.  He  took  one  Himself.  He  built  this  pattern  around  what  He  Himself  did.

I  think  that's  a  pretty  good  reason  to  be  able  to  take  a  rest.

But,  more  than  that,  there's  an  even  greater  reason  why  we  should  do  this.

All  of  God's  Laws  were  laid  down  in  order  to  set  Israel  apart.  To  bring  God  honour.  To  show  the  world  that  Israel  served  a  Holy  God.

Well,  we  still  serve  that  same  Holy  God.

Shouldn't  we  be  setting  ourselves  apart  by  following,  to  the  best  of  our  abilities,  that  pattern?  That  pattern  of  six  days  work  and  one  day  rest  a  week.

By  being  purposeful  about  taking  time  out  to  rest,  to  worship.

If  you  think  about  it,  people  in  this  world  either  over-rest  and  under-work,  or  they  under-rest  and  over-work.

Be  different.  Make  sure  you  get  enough  rest  to  do  enough  work  to  the  best  of  your  ability  to  the  Glory  of  God.

Not  so  that  you  can  do  better,  but  so  that  God  can  do  better  through  you.

Not  so  that  you  can  be  seen  as  great,  but  so  that  God  can  be  seen  as  what  He  is:  HOLY.

So,  my  thanksgiving  point:  I  am  grateful  for  rest,  I  am  grateful  that  my  God  cares  about  my  rest.  And  I  am  grateful  for  the  day  of  rest  I  got  yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment