Friday 15 November 2013

Thankgsiving #41 - For Work and Rest and Safety

"They  will  not  grow  old  as  we  that  are  left  grow  old,
age  shall  not  weary  them,  nor  the  years  condemn,
at  the  going  down  of  the  sun  and  in  the  morning
we  will  remember  them.

Lest  we  forget."

They  are  familiar  words.  Words  that  most  people  in  English  speaking  countries  will  have  heard  many  times.

Words  that  can  sometimes  be  so  familiar  that  we  forget  just  what  they  mean.  We  forget  just  what  it  is  we  are  rememering.

Our  school  had  our  Remembrance  Day  ceremony  today.  I  am  ashamed  to  say  that  in  the  pressure  and  stress  of  the  exams,  I  did  not  realise  it  was  Remembrance  Day  until  it  was  past.

So  it  was  good  to  be  able  to  have  that  moment  of  silence  today  and  to  commorate  the  memories  and  lives  of  service  men  and  women  who  have  given  of  themselves,  whether  it  was  their  life  or  their  health  to  the  protection  of  their  countries  and  their  worlds.

As  we  had  our  moment  of  silence,  which  followed  readings  of  "In  Flanders  Fields",  "We  are  the  Maimed"  and,  of  course,  "The  Ode",  I  reflected  on  the  words  of  prayer  that  we  say  at  church  quite  regularly.

It  is  part  of  a  prayer  of  thanksgiving,  words  that  are  often  said  by  rote:  "for  life  and  health  and  safety,  for  work  and  rest  and  friendship".

"safety...  work...  rest".

I  reflected  on  the  wars  that  have  raged  and  wars  still  being  fought.  I  thought  of  those  who  died  in  battle,  and  of  those  who  came  home  scarred  emotionally  and/or  physically.  I  thought  of  the  sacrfices  they  made  to  keep  my  country  free  and  safe,  to  prevent  fighting  from  ever  reaching  our  shores,  so  that  we  may  enjoy  safety,  work  and  rest.  And  I  thought  of  the  sacrifices  they  made  to  try  to  ensure  that  other  countries,  countries  that  otherwise  would  have  nothing  to  do  with  us,  enjoy  the  same  freedoms.

I  do  not  agree  with  war.  I  do  not  think  killing  is  the  way  to  go.  And  I  am  not  particularly  patriotic.  But  the  older  I  get,  the  deeper  my  respect  for  our  soldiers.

The  more  important  it  becomes  to  me  to  honour  their  memories.  I  may  not  know  their  names.  I  may  not  be  connected  to  them  in  anyway,  but  they  sacrficed  themselves  for  people  they  would  never  meet,  people  whose  names  they  would  never  know.

They  are   still  sacrficing  themselves  for  it.  Because  not  ever  country  is  as  priviliged  as  mine.  Not  every  country  is  able  to  enjoy  work,  rest  and  safety.

And,  as  the  Rouse  began  to  play,  I  breathed  a  prayer  of  thanksgiving.

I  thanked  God  that  I  live  in  a  country  where  I  can  work,  where  I  can  rest  and  where  I  know  every  measure  is  being  taken  to  ensure  my  safety.

And  I  thanked  God  for  those  men  and  women  who  made  it,  and  make  it,  possible.

That  is  today's  thanksgiving  point,  on  the  41st  day  before  Christmas.  The  sacrfice  of  our  militaries,  and  the  privileges  that  came  from  it.

Lest  we  forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment