Saturday 2 November 2013

Thanksgiving #54 - A Child is Born

So,  I  have  decided  that  in  the  lead  up  to  Christmas,  and  as  a  nod  to  the  fact  that  this  is the  month  with  Thanksgiving  in  the  states,  I  would  do  a  "Thanksgiving  countdown  to  Christmas"!

That  means  that  every  day  I  will  do  my  very  best  to  get  online  and  write  a  short  post  about  something  I  am  grateful  for.

So,  here  we  go  with  #54  (because  I'm  fairly  certain  that  is  the  number  of  days  left  until  Christmas...):

Yesterday,  I  received  the  incredibly  exciting  news  that  the  new  baby  daughter  of  one  of  my  teachers  had  finally  arrived.  Today,  I  received  some  pictures  from  the  teacher  in  question.

She  has  that  beautiful  look  of  a  new  born  babe.  It's  clear  from  the  photos  that  she's  soft  and  delicate,  extremely  fragile  and  oh,  so  very  blessed.

As  I  look  at  the  photos  and  read  the  information  sent  to  me,  I  find  myself  filled  with  joy  and  gratitude  on  behalf  of  my  teacher  and  his  lovely  wife.

There  are  few  Gifts  of  Grace  greater  than  the  birth  of  a  child.  Few  blessings  more  joyous  than  raising  a  child.

And  yes,  it  is  hard  work.  There  will  be  tears  and  screams  and  broken  hearts, but  then,  when  has  anything  that's  worth  anything  at  all  come  cheaply?  Come  easily?

To  my  teacher  and  his  wife  I'd  just  like  to  say  congratulations.  To  their  oldest  two  daughters,  enjoy!  I'm  the  eldest  of  three  and  I  remember  how  excited  I  was  when  my  youngest  sister  arrived  (I  only  hope  you  two  didn't  do  what  I  did  and  run  into  the  room  before  visitors  were  actually  allowed  in...).  Entrust  her  to  God,  pray  hard  and  give  without  condition.  Love  her,  protect  her  and  guide  her.  Although,  I  already  know  you  will.

And  to  God  I  say:  I  give  thanks,  Father,  that  you  see  fit  to  gift  this  world  with  children,  and  to  bless  this  family  with  another  beautiful  girl.  I  praise  you  for  the  wonder  and  preciousness  of  new  life  and  I  dedicate  this  child  to  your  care.  Be  with  her  and  her  family,  watch  over  them  with  your  love  and  cover  them  with  your  grace.  Bring  them  joy  when  times  are  tough  and  rest  when  their  hearts  are  weary.  Help  them  continue  to  depend  on  you  for  every  step  and  bring  glory  to  your  name.

And  I've  just  noticed  how  fitting  it  is  that  this  count  should  start  with  a  celebration  of  new  birth,  when  it  will  lead  to  the  celebration  of  the  ultimate  birth!

And  so,  thanksgiving  #54:  a  precious  child  is  born  -  Praise  the  Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment