Thursday 24 October 2013

Rejoicing in Persecution

The  apostles  left  the  high  council  rejoicing  that  God  had  counted  them  worthy  to  suffer  disgrace  for  the  name  of  Jesus. ~ Acts 5: 41
I  read  that  verse  and  did  a  little  bit  of  a  double  take.  You  know  that  "wow,  did  I  really  just  read  that?"  moment  you  sometimes  get  when  reading  something  really  shocking.

I  re-read  the  verse.

Yep,  I  really  did  just  read  that.

I  re-read  the  verses  before  it.

And  yep,  I  was  right.

They  were  rejoicing  about  being  flogged  for  teaching  in  the  name  of  Jesus  and  being  ordered  to  stop.

Cue  the  nervous  laughter.

Rejoicing  about  being  flogged?

I  mean,  I  can  understand  rejoicing  about  the  fact  that  they  have  been  released  with  their  lives,  but  rejoicing  about  being  flogged?

I  lowered  my  Bible  shaking  my  head.

The  boldness  of  the  apostles  amazed  me.

I  looked  around  the  room.  No  one  for  me  to  ask  the  question  that  was  now  burning  in  my  mind.  No  one  for  me  to  discuss  the  very  troubling  realization  this  verse  had  brought  to  me.

How  many  of  us,  here  and  now,  rejoice  that  God  has  counted  as  worthy  of  suffering  disgrace  for  the  name  of  Christ  when  we  encounter  persecution?

And how  many  of  us  encounter  persecution  and  recoil?  How  many  of  us  say  "Oh,  no,  God,  this  is  too  hard.  I  can't  do  this.  Sorry."?

I  will  willingly,  but  very  shame-facedly  raise  my  hand  and  admit  that  I  fall  very  firmly  into  that  second  category.

Very  firmly.

So  firmly  that  when  a  friend  of  mine  tells  me  that  my  constant  mentioning  of  Jesus  and  the  Gospel  and  the  Bible  makes  her  think  I  don't  respect  her  and  her  faith,  even  if  I'm  bringing  it  up  solely  in  the  context  of  my  life,  I  quail  and  apologise  and  start  bending  over  backwards  to  pacify  her.

So  firmly  that  if  I  anticipate  an  attack  for  standing  up  for  what  I  believe  in,  and  may  I  stress  that  this  attack  would  be  solely  verbal  and  intellectual,  I  don't.

Yeah...  rejoicing  in  persecution  the  way  that  the  apostles  did?

I  am  very  ashamed  to  say,  that  hasn't really  been  my  thing.

I  say  that  I  am  not  ashamed  of  the  Gospel,  for  it  is  the  power  of  God.  And  maybe  I'm  not,  in  my  heart.  Or  maybe  I've  managed  to  fool  myself  into  thinking  that  because  I  can  boldly  declare  on  the  internet  (where  no  one  can  actually  see  me)  or  when  I  am  surrounded  by  Christian  friends  that  God's  gospel  is  the  greatest  thing  in  the  world.

Which  it  is.  Don't  get  me  wrong.

I  am  a  bibliophile  (book  lover),  and  the  Bible  and  the  truth  it  contains  is  the  best of  them  all.

I  would  not  be  here  today  without  it.

But,  though  my  heart  and  mind  my  think  it,  may  even  believe  it,  my  actions  have  been  those  of  one  ashamed  of  it.

Every  time  I  have  allowed  the  put  downs  and  jeers  of  my  peers  or  superiors  to  stop  my  lips,  I  have  been  acting  ashamed  of  the  Gospel.

I  have  been  acting  as  though  I  do  not  truly  believe  that  God  is  the  most  powerful,  most  wondrous  being  out  there.

Every  time  I let  the  fact  that  someone  would  rather  not  hear  about  God  stop  me  from  sharing  my story  with  them,  I  act  as  though  I  believe  it  all  has  been  done  in  my  strength  and  I  forget  that  actually,  I  am  not  the  One  with  the  power  in  this  situation.

Recently,  I  have  been  listening  to  a  series  of  sermons  on  the  book  of  Acts  (which  is  why  I  was  reading  it)  that  Covenant  Life  Church  in  the  States  did  about  8  years  ago  now.  And  in  one  of  the  sermons,  Joshua  Harris  comments  about  the  way  Christians  pray  for  an  open  door  for  sharing  the  Gospel.

He  said  it  was  like  we  wanted  the  door  to  be  so  open  for  us  that  God  had  actually  taken  it  off  it's  hinges  and  highlighted  it  with  flashing  neon  signs  that  say  "Open  door  here!"

He  continued  to  make  the  comment  that  if  it  isn't  wide  open,  we  act  as  though  it  is  firmly  shut.  In  fact,  he  continues,  we  often  see  a  door  that  is  only  slightly  ajar  and  think  "oh  that's  not  an  open  door"  and  then  proceed  to  close  it  just  so  we  won't  have  to  proclaim  the  Gospel  of  Christ  to  someone.

And  I  realized:  I  have  done  that.  I  am  doing  that.

I  have  a  friend,  one  who  has  been  a  great  deal  on  my  heart  recently.  I  have  been  trying  to  reach  her  for  years  and  she  just  keeps  rejecting  it.  A  couple  of  months  ago,  I  sent  her  a  message.  I  asked  her  if  we  could  go  out  for  a  coffee,  and  that  I'd  love  to  tell  her  my  story.

She  wanted  to  know  what  I  meant,  and  I  explained  that  I  wanted  to  tell  her  about  the  bullying  I  went  through  and  tell  her  the  truth  about  why  I  believe  what  I  believe,  why  I  love  the  God  and  why  I  want  to  serve  Him  with  all  my  heart.

 Her  response  broke  my  heart  and  sealed  my  lips.

She  said  that  whilst  she  was  happy  to  listen  to  whatever  I  wanted  to  say  about  the  bullying  and  that  she  was  sorry  that  terrible  things  had  been  done  to  me,  but  she  didn't  want  to  hear  about  God.  She  knew  why  I  believe  what  I  believe  and  didn't  want  to  hear  anymore.

And that  broke  my  heart  because  she  didn't  actually  know  the  truth.  She  didn't  know  why  my  relationship  with  God  was  a  relationship  and  not  just  and  intellectual  exercise  that  I  occasionally  decide  to  engage  in.

In  that  moment  I  realized  that  after  6  years  of  friendship,  she  still  didn't  know  me.  Not  really.

Oh,  she  thought  she  did,  and  quite  rightly  too.  6  years  is  a  long  time  to  know  someone,  of  course  you're  going  to  know  everything  about  them!

Yeah...  no.

And  I  have  no  one  to  blame  for  that  but  myself.

People  often  treat  shame  and  pride  as  too  separate  things.

I've  found  that  in  my  life  they  go  hand  in  hand.

I  have  been  filled  with  shame.  And  I  have  been  too  proud  to  let  anyone  see  it.

Including  those  closest  to  me.  My  parents,  my  sisters,  my  dearest  friends.

And  know,  those  God  has  put  in  my  life  to  reach,  think  they  know  me.  Think  I  don't  have  anything  to  say  to  them.

And  how  can  I  blame  them  for  that?

How  can  I  really  expect  them  to  see  and  understand  that  depths  of  my  joy,  the  totality  of  my  dependence  on  God,  the  reality  of  His  love,  mercy  and  grace  in  my  life  if  I  have  never,  ever  let  them  see  the  depths  of  my  misery,  the  totality  of  my  need  for  God  and  the  utter,  utter  worthlessness,  sin  and  shame  that  is  also  in  my  life.

And,  as  I  read  through  Acts,  especially  as  I  read  that  verse,  I  find  that  God  is  convicting  me  of  my  pride  and  my  cowardice.

How  many  doors  have  I  closed  in  my  attempt  to  protect  myself?

Too,  too  many.

And,  as  I  read  through  Acts,  especially  as  I  read  that  verse,  I  find  myself  yearning  for  the  courage  of  the  early  Christians,  the  courage  that  the  Christians  in  the  persecuted  church  have,  the  courage  that  others  here  have.

The  courage  that  I  am  lacking.

And  I  realize  once  again  how  completely  and  utterly  I  am  dependent  on  God.

In  Acts  4,  the  Christians  have  gathered  together  to  pray  about  the  persecution  they  are  beginning  to  face.

And  I  find  myself  praying  with  them.  "And  now,  O  Lord,  hear  their  threats  and  give  us,  your  servants,  great  boldness  in  preaching  your  word."  (verse 29).

I  want  their  completely  dependence,  their  complete  trust,  their  complete  conviction  that  no  matter  how  pathetically  they  perform,  God  will  do  His  thing.

I  want  their  total  understanding  that  God's  mission  is  unstoppable.

That  poorly  formed  words,  ethnic  barriers,  language  barriers,  ethical  barriers,  persecution,  fear,  none  of  it  can  stop  God's  plan.

The  fact  that  I  am  sitting  here,  writing  about  the  message  they  carried  2000  years  later,  on  the  opposite  side  of  the  world,  is  testimony  to  the  unstoppable  nature  of  His  plan.

So  why  is  it  that  "no,  I  don't  want  to  hear  it"  shuts  me  up  like  a  clam?

How  desperately  I  want  God's  Spirit  to  fill  me  with  the  boldness  to  rejoice  I  persecution  and  speak  out  because  God  is  the  One  in  control,  not  me.

No comments:

Post a Comment