Thursday 3 October 2013

The Heart of Romance

The  wind  was  blustering  outside  the  window  as  I  sat  in  front  of  our  old  kitchen  table,  the  one  that  now  serves  as  my  desk.  I  had  a  stack  of  work  on  either  side  of  me,  but  I  was,  to  be  honest  procrastinating  slightly.  I’d  just  finished  my  lunch  break  and  thought  of  studying  maths,  well,  it  turned  my  stomach  if  I’m  honest.

So  I  started  thumbing  through  Twilight,  the  only  novel  in  that  room  purely  because  it’s  one  I  want  to  get  rid  of.  But  yeah,  I  was  reading  bits  of  Twilight  (please  don’t  judge).

Anyway,  I  came  to  that  bit  where  Edward  is  driving  Bella  to  school  and  grilling  her  about  her  life  in  Pheonix  (if  you  have  no  idea  what  I’m  talking  about,  I’d  say  that’s  a  good  thing).  One  of  the  many  questions  he  asks  her  is  about  her  romantic  history.

At  this  point  in  the  questioning,  Bella  reveals  to  him  that  she  has  never  dated  anyone  else  before.  Has  never  really  wanted  to.  Please  bear  in  mind  that  she  is  only  17.

Edward’s  response  to  her  revelation  pulled  me  up  short.

“So  you  never  met  anyone  you  wanted?”

Wait,  what?

Is  that  what  dating  come  down  to  these  days?  Is  that  what  romance  is  all  about?

Is  it  really  only  about  wanting  someone?

Now,  some  of  you  are  probably  thinking  that  Twilight  is  a  bad  example.  After  all,  the  entire  storyline  is  based  on  that  kind  of  romance.  They  want  each  other.  And  they  are  willing  to  put  her  life  at  risk,  lie  through  their  teeth  to  her  father,  break  hearts,  and  disobey  authorities  in  order  to  get  each  other.

But  given  the  fact  that  Twilight  has  made  Stephanie  Meyer  millions,  perhaps  it’s  the  perfect  example  of  how  our  culture  views  love  and  romance.

It’s  all  based  on  “I  want  you.”

Now,  don’t  hear  me  wrong,  desire  for  your  partner,  especially  if  the  relationship  is  going  to  be,  or  is,  a  marriage  is  normal  and  healthy.  I’d  even  go  so  far  as  to  say  necessary.  It’s  certainly  part  of  the  way  God  designed  our  romantic  relationships  to  be  (hello,  He  created  our  sex  drive,  remember?)

The  problem  starts  when  wanting  someone  is  the  entire  basis  of  the  relationship.  As  it  is  with  Edward  and  Bella.

After  all,  wanting  someone  and  having  that  as  your  motivation  is  selfish.  And  1  Corinthians  13,  that  beautiful  passage  that  defines  what  love  is,  any  kind  of  love,  not  just  romantic,  makes  it  very  clear  that  love  is  not  selfish,  it  is  selfless.

So,  if  your  basis  for  a  relationship  is  selfish,  how  can  it  be  a  truly  loving  relationship?

In  many  ways,  this  post  has  been  a  long  time  in  coming.  I’ve  been  wanting  to  share  my  personal  view  on  love,  romance  and  marriage  for  a  while,  I’ve  just  been  too  embarrassed  to  write  it.

But  reading  that  line  in  Twilight  was  rather  the  last  straw.

It  became  very  clear  to  me  what  today’s  post  would  be  about.

So,  my  goal  here  is  not  to  preach  at  you  and  tell  you  this  is  how  you  should  view  love,  so  instead,  I’m  going  to  tell you  about  the  sort  of  relationship  I  hope  to  one  day  have  with  my  husband,  whoever  he  ends  up  being.  Assuming,  of  course,  I  get  married.

I’ll  confess  it  here,  but  I  am  a die-hard  romantic.

I  firmly  believe  in  true  love.

Firmly.

I  believe  that  the  kind  of  love  Adam  and  Eve  were  designed  for  is  possible.

But  I  don’t  believe  in  the  candlelit  roast  dinner  kind  of  romance.  The  kind  that  is  flashy  without  much  substance.  (That  said,  if  the  man  I  marry  ever  cooks  me  a  roast  and  we  eat  at  a  candlelit  table,  I  won’t  be  saying  no).

The  kind  of  romance  I  believe  in,  the  love  I’m  hoping  for  with  my  husband,  is  the  romance  and  love  that  God  designed  specifically  for  us.  The  kind  of  love  that  reflects  God’s  own  sacrifice.  The  kind  that  is  only  possible  with  God  in  control  of  the  relationship.

The  kind  of  love  that  meant  Adam  and  Eve  could  go  around  together  naked  without  shame.  I’m  not  saying  that  I’d  like  my  husband  and  I  to  spend  our  days  naked.  But  I  would  hope  to  have  that  love  present  in  our marriage:  the  kind  of  love  that  means  we  can  bare  our  souls  to  one  another  without  fear  of  condemnation  and  without  shame.  The  kind  of  relationship  that  has  no  secrets.

That  kind  of openness  would,  in  turn,  mean  that  the  relationship  would  be  one  of  trust.  Trust  of  each  other.  The  kind  of  trust  that  would  allow  us  the  freedom  to  be  both  individuals  and  one.

Because  that’s  important  to  me.  That  we  become  one.  Not  just  in  body,  but  in  heart  and  mind  as  well.  That  we  come  together  in  our  worship  of  God  and  our  service  of  Him  in  the  little  day-to-day  matters.  That  we  will  be  like  minded  in  our  faith  and  values,  and  able  to  grow  together  in  relationship  with  God.  That  we  would  be  able  to  raise  any  children  we  may  have  in  unity.

Ladies,  this  next  one  may  shock  you,  may  even  offend  you,  but…  I  hope  my  husband  is  the  leader  in  the  relationship  and  I,  his  helper.

Yeah,  you  read  right.

I  hope  our  relationship  is  one  in  which  he  leads.

One  in  which  I  can  trust  him  to  lead  me  closer  to  God  with  every  step.  One  in  which  I  know  he  will  make  wise  and  loving  choices  for  me  and  our  family,  and  I  can  help  him  without  fear  or  uncertainty.

This  is  dangerous  ground,  because  some  might  accuse  me  of  weakness  and  being  a  bit  of  a  sheeple,  and  the  whole  man  leads,  woman  helps  is  a  scenario  where  that  could  easily  happen.  But,  if  you  know  me,  you  know  that  I’m  not  one  for  just  doing  as  I’m  told.  If  I’m  going  to  submit  to  someone  elses,  I  need  to  trust  them  utterly.  I  need  to  know  that  not  only  do  they  have  my  best  interests  at  heart,  but  also  the  best  interests  of  everybody  around  as  and  God  at  the  centre  of  their  lives.

So  the  fact  that  I  want  my  husband  to  lead  says  something  about  how  I  want  the  relationship  to  look.

I  hope  our  relationship  is  one  of  love  and  trust  but  also  of  respect.  Respect  of  each  other,  respect  for  ourselves  and  respect  for  those  around  us.

I  hope  it  is  one  where  we  can  laugh  together  and  can  cry  together.  One  were  we  can  argue  fiercely   but  be  full  of  forgiveness  and  grace.

I  hope  it  is  one  that  people  can  look  at  and  think  “aren’t  they  cute?  Look  at  the  way  they  still  love  each  other”,  because  I  want  our  love  to  be  the  kind  of  love  that  displays  itself  in  the  way  we  treat  each  other  and  the  little  things  we  do  for  each  other.

But,  I’ve  left  the  most  important  features  of  the  kind  of  marriage  I  am  hoping  for  to  the  end.

I  hope  my  marriage  is  one  in  which  my  husband  and  I  open  our  Bibles  together,  pray  together  and  worship  together.

I  hope  my  marriage  is  one  in  which  my  husband  and  I  fight  our  battles  on  our  knees,  together.

I  hope  my  marriage  is  one  firmly  rooted  in  the  truth  that  Jesus  Christ  is  the  Son  of  God  who  became  a  man,  died,  rose  from  the  dead,  rules  Heaven,  Earth  and  Hell  from  God’s  right  hand  and  through  Him  we  are  saved.

But,  first  and  foremost,  I  want  my  marriage  to  be  one  in  which  my  husband  and  I  can  look  at  each  other  through  the  years  and  whisper  “I  love  you  so  much,  but  I  still  love  God  more”.

Because  I  don’t  think  romance  is  about  wanting  the  other  person  so  much  you  can’t  live  without  them.  I  believe  that  true  romance  is  about  the  other  person.  And  that  the  heart  of  it,  that  throbbing,  life  giving  centre  of  romance,  is  God.

No comments:

Post a Comment