Wednesday 16 October 2013

My Own Worst Enemy

"I  caught  a  glimpse  in  my  rearview  mirror,
of  an  old  familiar  face,
blurry  image  coming  in  clearer
of  a  past  I  can't  erase.
I  thought  I'd  put  him  in  the  ground
looks  like  he's  found  his  way  out.

"God  help  me  get  away,
break  this  chains  and  set  me  free
from  the  other  side  of  me.
I  can't  fight  this  fight  alone,
I'll  never  make  it  on  my  own,
Lord  Jesus  rescue  me,
from  my  own  worst  enemy.

"I'll  take  a  step  and  he's  right  behind  me
always  fighting  for  control,
there's  a  war  that's  raging  inside  me,
I  feel  the  battle  for  my  soul.
It's  like  my  shadow  is  dragging  me  around,
and  you  are  my  only  way  out...

"...help  me  believe  the  old  is  dead  and  gone,
and  I  am,  a  new  creation!"  ~  My  Own  Worst  Enemy,  Casting  Crowns

These  past  couple  of  days  have  been  a  bit  of  struggle  for  me.

I'm  sure  you  know  the  type.

Those  soul  wearying  days  when  you  God  commands,  and  you  sit  and  just  stare  because  you  know  He's  right  but  you  just  can't  face  it?

Those  harrowing,  painful  days  where  you  fight  with  yourself  and  you  fight  with  God  because  you're  just  too  afraid?  Too  full  of  shame?  Too  certain  of  your  own  inadequacy?

We've  all  got  a  secret  pain,  a  secret  wound,  something  we'd  rather  die  than  ever  tell.  Something  we'd  rather  bury  forever  than  ever  face.  Even  though  facing  it  will  heal  it.

Yeah...  you  all  know  what  I'm  talking  about.

So,  what  happens  when  God  asks  that  you  face  it?

Like  he's  been  doing  with  me  these  past  few  days.

Well,  it's  been  looking  a  bit  like  that  story  in  Genesis  of  when  Jacob  is  preparing  to  meet  Esau  after  years  of  separation  (and  plenty  of  time  for  Esau's  anger  with  him  to  fester  to  the  murderous  point)  and  the  night  before  he  wrestles  with  God.  Yeah...  it's  been  a  wrestle  that  can  only  end  with  God  winning  and  me  meeting  my  Esau.

Still...  I'm  still  wrestling.

I'm  finding  that  it's  looking  like  my  desire  to  pray  "not  my  will  but  yours"  is  manifesting  itself  as  "not  my  will  but  yours...  except  in  this  matter.  Think  you  can  do  that  for  me,  eh  God?  Think  you  can  leave  me  to  deal  with  this  one  at  my  own  pace?  And,  you  know,  if  that  means  I  never  deal  with  it,  that's  cool.  I,  I  don't  mind."

I  can  kind  of  see  God  clucking  his  tongue,  nodding  His  head  and  going  "uh-huh.  And  in  the  meantime  you're  just  going  to  what?  Pretend  you're  perfect  when  part  of  you  is  still  dead?  I  think  not.  I  died  to  give  you  life  and  life  to  the  full.  Now  what  that  means?  It  means  no  part  of  you  has  to  be  dead.  No  part  of  you  should  be  dead.  Now  then,  let's  get  started  on...  really?  you're  doing  this  again?"

And  part  of  me  grimaces  because  yes,  yes  I  am  fighting  Him  on  this  one,  and  that's  a  really,  really  stupid  idea.

So  why  am  I  fighting  Him?

The  truth?  I'm  afraid.  I'm  afraid  of  what  I'll  see  when  I  stop  fighting.  Afraid  of  who  I'll  see.  At  the  moment,  it  seems  easier  to  just  fight  than  to  face  it,  and  well,  that  can  never  end  well.

This  all  sounds  so  ludicrous.

But  I'm  terrified.

Terrified  that  I  won't  pass,  that  I'll  break  beyond  repair,  that  this  red  won't  be  washed  white.

And my  head  tells  me  that's  ludicrous.

It  reminds  me  off  passages  like  Psalm  51  and  Isaiah  53,  passages  that  prove  God's  goodness  and  mercy  and  remind  me  that  I  am  clean  because  I  have  made  clean  by  God,  not  because  I  have  somehow  managed  to  clean  myself.

But  somehow,  my  heart  doesn't  seem  to  want  to  follow.  My  feelings  are  getting  in  the  way  of  the  truth.

So  I  guess,  I  guess  I'm  just  going  to  finish  this  by  asking  you  to  pray  for  me.  To  pray  that  I'll  stop  fighting  Him  on  this  and  start  submitting  to  Him  instead.

And  I  also  want  to  let  you  know:  if  you're  feeling  this  way,  if  you've  ever  experienced  this,  you're  in  good  company.  We  all  have.

And  I  want  to  pass  on  the  promise  that  has  been  giving  me  comfort:  God  isn't  going  to  give  up  on  you  just  for  this.

No comments:

Post a Comment